Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 11:51 AM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been driving manual my entire driving life (I learned driving on a sitck).
I don't even know how I am going to keep a straight face with the GT4 manual from what everyone is saying

Got a feeling I will be sitting in my seat slack–jawed after driving that thing.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:52 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,009 Likes on 2,834 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I know you love manuals but you seriously post about it in every other thread.

Someone needs to keep the record straight.
Keep fighting the good fight!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:59 AM
July1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche is the king of options... It would be so nice if they could offer the choice.. So we could stop these silly discussions and go back to who has the biggest... :/
Old 08-06-2015, 12:07 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by July1
Porsche is the king of options... It would be so nice if they could offer the choice.. So we could stop these silly discussions and go back to who has the biggest... :/
This!
Old 08-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

No manual, no care.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:27 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

PDK-S is a good match for the GT3. With how fast the car winds up and how fast it approaches corners, a manual is more of a hassle and headache than an asset ON THE TRACK. Once you've mastered heel/toe, it becomes muscle memory and it's not a novelty anymore. It's only one more thing to take up bandwidth and potentially screw up. On the street, driving around in the lower rpm range, the PDK-S is absolutely boring. In this scenario, a manual would be so much better to keep you involved.

I sold my spyder to make room for a GT4, and I totally miss having a manual in my garage. I drive my cars on the street as well as the track, but I rarely take the GT3 out on the street because its boring to drive around casually. I'm betting the manual GT4 will be great to drive around town as well as on the track.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts
Default GT4 RS

Originally Posted by orthojoe
PDK-S is a good match for the GT3. With how fast the car winds up and how fast it approaches corners, a manual is more of a hassle and headache than an asset ON THE TRACK. Once you've mastered heel/toe, it becomes muscle memory and it's not a novelty anymore. It's only one more thing to take up bandwidth and potentially screw up. On the street, driving around in the lower rpm range, the PDK-S is absolutely boring. In this scenario, a manual would be so much better to keep you involved.

I sold my spyder to make room for a GT4, and I totally miss having a manual in my garage. I drive my cars on the street as well as the track, but I rarely take the GT3 out on the street because its boring to drive around casually. I'm betting the manual GT4 will be great to drive around town as well as on the track.
You're doing it right Joe since you can have both.
I bet you'll have fun!
Old 08-06-2015, 03:20 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

I feel exactly the same way.............

i would buy a 991 Gt3 if there weren't such high premiums demanded in the UK.
Problem is, Joe, the fact that the 1 Gt3 is popular is completely incidental to the reasons why we want one.... Most buyers just can't be bothered to shift a stick.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:58 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

I think more of your guys need to go out and buy 911SCs and 3.2 Carreras with 915 gearboxes. Now that's an involving (or is it involved?) driving experience. Then it will be ok to daily drive and do some DEs in a PDK car...
Old 08-06-2015, 05:06 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I think more of your guys need to go out and buy 911SCs and 3.2 Carreras with 915 gearboxes. Now that's an involving (or is it involved?) driving experience. Then it will be ok to daily drive and do some DEs in a PDK car...
++++This and thanks for introducing a dose of reality to this argument! I know I will get some flaming responses to this but given you started it...

The most fun and involving road car I owned was my 81 SC with 172 horsepower. If you want great driver "involvement" go buy yourself something similar (or a 3.2 whether it has a 915 or G50). You can thrash a car like that on the street and have fun, yet for the most part stay out of trouble. I find the debate on street involvement with the modern platforms humorous. Regardless of transmission selection I have not been able to get close to the performance potential of a modern 911 or 981 platform on the street without doing highly illegal or stupid (or both) stuff. I have kept my 993 (which of course has been upgraded with your gears and LSD amongst a few other mods ) for when I want to have a bit more fun with a car that requires much more effort and skill to drive well. Nothing wrong with either a manual or PDK choice in either the 911 or 981 platforms - just don't confuse what makes you happy with a superior choice for street driving.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:08 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
I guess you don't watch F1 racing, which is the purest form of motorsport out there.
You mean that series that neither Porsche nor VAG participate in, that's run by oligarchs and speaks nothing to the majority of sportscar enthusiasts? The one that's about ego and having a badge on your shirt to show your friends how cool you are at cars and coffee? Yeah... You nailed it.

F1 is a scourge on motorsports. WEC, hell, even DTM is more relevant to your argument. The tech that we see in for profit racing doesn't translate to street cars. It can't. It's too expensive.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:29 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 601 Likes on 268 Posts

I should have never opened my mouth because i completely and totally derailed the GT4RS thread into a my Getrag 6-spd trans can beat up your dad's ZF PDK debate!

At this point though, both topics probably contain the same amount of conjecture!
Old 08-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
You mean that series that neither Porsche nor VAG participate in, that's run by oligarchs and speaks nothing to the majority of sportscar enthusiasts? The one that's about ego and having a badge on your shirt to show your friends how cool you are at cars and coffee? Yeah... You nailed it.
F1 is a scourge on motorsports. WEC, hell, even DTM is more relevant to your argument. The tech that we see in for profit racing doesn't translate to street cars. It can't. It's too expensive.
+1 and I couldn't have said it better.
I test drove a 911 Turbo with a PDK and it was a rocket, go onto one freeway entrance and hit the next in no time at all, just like warp speed, it was just too fast, and missing the driver involvement.
Same thing with the Nissan GTR I test drove, just too fast to enjoy.
What this entire argument boils down to is how much "driver involvement" you need, and obviously some need more than others.
I drove a friends 991CS with PDK and shifted myself for the first 20 min got board and put it into "drive" and let the car shift for me.
Some people say that a PDK in manual mode is just as involving as a manual, WRONG WRONG, WRONG. Not even close.
Remember back a few years when the mighty "F1" had fully automatic transmissions, and they switched back....why, because every time you automate it you take away the "driver skill" component.
I'd like to see F1 go back to fully manual cars, that would definitely make things more interesting, exciting, and separate the men from the boys.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 360 Likes on 217 Posts
Default GT4 RS

Originally Posted by mgerber
just don't confuse what makes you happy with a superior choice for street driving.
Which is? PDK?
I really think you should use " IMO " when posting something like that,or you'll run the risk of " getting flamed ",like you're calling it. When a 991 GT3 owner(orthojoe) that's a good driver calls PDK boring on the street in his opinion,how can you justify your statement as it being " a superior choice "?!

For those that think " you can stay out of trouble in an older 911 " or similar,I can tell you that you're mistaking. One can get into trouble with any car. Give me a Toyota Corolla and I'll get into trouble,but then again,I'm not a Toyota Corolla driver.

In conclusion,your choice of " superior " is different than mine. IMO,a manual transmission is highly " superior " to a PDK transmission because it allows me to be more in control. It's like sex : I'd rather be doing it than watching.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:14 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I should have never opened my mouth because i completely and totally derailed the GT4RS thread into a my Getrag 6-spd trans can beat up your dad's ZF PDK debate!

At this point though, both topics probably contain the same amount of conjecture!
Cinderella story, out of nowhere...

I win the debate.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS