Sponsored by: APR

GT4 RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:36 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
It is funny how Porsche charges more for Alcantara as an upgrade from leather.
Agreed.

Most of their competitors do the same. It's considered more "sporty" since it's more grippy.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I'd be interested to understand the demand overseas vs. US. The european track nuts I know have no desire for a manual in a track car, they want an auto. I wonder if this is a US phenomenon.
The Europeans are more into what works the best in getting them around the track fastest, while Americans are more into dick swinging and image.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:18 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=Archimedes;12470299]The Europeans are more into what works the best in getting them around the track fastest, while Americans are more into dick swinging and image. [/QUOTE

SMH! Choosing a manual transmission is about image? What a jackass. Grow a pair dude. What us Americans are about is kicking ******** that make these kinds of comments in the teeth.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The Europeans are more into what works the best in getting them around the track fastest, while Americans are more into dick swinging and image.
Americans have realized that unless you're racing there are more important things than being fastest. Or some of us have, anyway. Others drive GTRs, Hellcats, etc...
Old 07-29-2015, 08:23 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Americans have realized that unless you're racing there are more important things than being fastest. Or some of us have, anyway. Others drive GTRs, Hellcats, etc...
U.S. Americans don't give a crap what are time is on the track because like 99% of the people on the track nobody is doing this for money. We are all spending lots of money to go out and have fun. Euro's go to the pub, get drunk, and then brag to others how good their time was around the track that day when no one gives a ****.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:56 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

When deciding where to troll, we here at Rennlist realize you have many options. So on behalf of all of us here at RL, thank you for choosing us for your trolling needs.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:26 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
When deciding where to troll, we here at Rennlist realize you have many options. So on behalf of all of us here at RL, thank you for choosing us for your trolling needs.
Guffaw! Damn, you made beer come out of my nose.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:33 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of swinging, you sound like one of those "let's be like Europe" nutswingers. Eventually (and soon) you'll have your way I suppose.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Guffaw! Damn, you made beer come out of my nose.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:39 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Agreed.

Most of their competitors do the same. It's considered more "sporty" since it's more grippy.
The crap has been around for years. First Ultrasuede, then microfiber, now Alcantara. It's all the same crap. Sooner or later someone will find a good use for it. Until then, Porsche might as well list it as an option and charge more for it, so that some of us will think how awesome it must be because it costs so damn much, and check the box.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:05 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

that's a sweeping generalization. EVO and most british magazines give much less emphasis on times as opposed to 'feel'.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:40 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
It is funny how Porsche charges more for Alcantara as an upgrade from leather.
If I had the choice I would rather have no Alcantara and full leather seats, dash etc.
Leather is great because if you spill something or are sweaty it does not absorb the moisture and can be simply wiped off.
Leather wears so much better, my 10 year old Boxsters leather seats and interior bits still look new, just hit them with Lexol every couple of months.
Not sure how well the Alcantara is going to wear, but I know first hand that the Alcantara steering wheel on my Atom got really matted down.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:32 AM
Unzki
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This whole leather versus alcantara discussion..

There is several reasons that speak on behalf of alcantara when we are discussing about cars like the GT4 and GT3.

1) Manufacturers prefer alcantara versus leather on sports cars because it is approx. 30% lighter than leather

2) When driving on track you tend to get sweaty - leather is by far worse than alcantara when it comes to sweating, leather does not breathe

3) Alcantara has superior grip when combined to proper driving gloves and it holds you better in the seat too - that is the reason why it is mainly used on the center part of the seat

4) You really are not going to spill anything to your track-day car because you are not going to keep anything extra on the car either. Are you!?

5) At least I think it really has a sporty look too

Cheers,

Unzki

Last edited by Unzki; 07-30-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:39 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 952 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Unzki
This whole leather versus alcantara discussion..

4) You really are not going to spill anything to your track-day car because you are not going to keep anything extra on the car either. Are
Not going to be holding a drink without pdk - so I'm safe.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts
Default GT4 RS

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Not going to be holding a drink without pdk - so I'm safe.
That's a problem right there! What are we going to do with the new latte machine coming to the luxury brands in a manual car?

Quick Reply: GT4 RS