Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 12:52 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 62 Posts

As simple as they may be, one of my favorite styling points on the first gen Spyder is red bikini top hooks. Looks like those are now gone as well.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:05 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

In my view, the car looks like ..... a Spyder! One could debate about finer details such as the windows not modified, lack of bikini top, cheesy flaps, etc. It is an evolutionary progression. As we all know, Porsche isn't about to make a revolutionary revision for Make II. It never does. It's all about incremental progress.

987 Spyder owners may not warm up to it, yet. Understandable; actually, sort of expected. But, I am betting that this will be "better" in every sense over 987's. Yes, I am using the word 'better'. Only wild card, at this time, is the steering feel. How will it compare to 987 Spyder's? I am hoping they will be closely matched. Electro-mechanical setup is extremely tunable (as is hydraulic). With each iteration, it will get better.

I was hoping for an open-top GT4. Sadly, not to be. GT4 is a great bargain, in the context of Porsche. Since GT3 can't be had with manual (yet), GT4 is the next best thing. Unfortunately, I can't drive a fixed-roof car! So, I will take the next best thing down the totem pole. Can't wait to read some great reviews. And, can't wait for my own!

It's like a movie sequel. It's a tough act to follow the original. From what I see, on paper, Porsche pulled off a good sequel. Now, we all could sit back and wait for the reviews from media and owners to validate if it's a great sequel! Something tells me that we won't be disappointed! :-)

cheers. henry.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:12 AM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
In my view, the car looks like ..... a Spyder! One could debate about finer details such as the windows not modified, lack of bikini top, cheesy flaps, etc. It is an evolutionary progression. As we all know, Porsche isn't about to make a revolutionary revision for Make II. It never does. It's all about incremental progress.

987 Spyder owners may not warm up to it, yet. Understandable; actually, sort of expected. But, I am betting that this will be "better" in every sense over 987's. Yes, I am using the word 'better'. Only wild card, at this time, is the steering feel. How will it compare to 987 Spyder's? I am hoping they will be closely matched. Electro-mechanical setup is extremely tunable (as is hydraulic). With each iteration, it will get better.

I was hoping for an open-top GT4. Sadly, not to be. GT4 is a great bargain, in the context of Porsche. Since GT3 can't be had with manual (yet), GT4 is the next best thing. Unfortunately, I can't drive a fixed-roof car! So, I will take the next best thing down the totem pole. Can't wait to read some great reviews. And, can't wait for my own!

It's like a movie sequel. It's a tough act to follow the original. From what I see, on paper, Porsche pulled off a good sequel. Now, we all could sit back and wait for the reviews from media and owners to validate if it's a great sequel! Something tells me that we won't be disappointed! :-)

cheers. henry.
I do agree with you in the sense I am sure the performance will be amazing! There was a test in Excellence or Panorama a while back, can't remember which one, comparing a Boxster Spyder vs. a 981 Boxster S with the X73 suspension, and performance wise, I think they liked the 981 better. Sure it's a personal opinion, but no question the 981 Spyder will be a great performance car.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:12 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
As simple as they may be, one of my favorite styling points on the first gen Spyder is red bikini top hooks. Looks like those are now gone as well.
And only one on this planet had the headlight spray nuzzles matched in color by the factory with a deviated 'Guards Red' option! Cool...

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-02-2015, 01:23 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

^neato!
Old 04-02-2015, 02:13 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
No worries. Appreciate your thoughts, as apparently my high school drivers ed class wasn't completely on target. I will try out what you recommended.
I can help elaborate a bit further if that helps. From what was demonstrated at a driving safety course, here's what they recommend:

1) Lean to left and crane your neck to look at the driver's side mirror (head touching or almost touching the window). Adjust mirror outwards until you no longer see the rear body.
2) Lean over to right and crane your neck to look at passenger side mirror. Adjust until you no longer see the rear body.

Doing above will pretty much eliminate the blind spot. One caveat is at night when another car is diagonally behind you and you don't see its headlights on the side mirrors. You'll see the other car's body in your mirror but it can be difficult to make out in the dark. Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:16 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
For reference...
That is one freakin' gorgeous car!!
Old 04-02-2015, 02:31 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
That is one freakin' gorgeous car!!
Thank you!
Old 04-02-2015, 07:10 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Another way to adjust the mirrors correctly is to make sure you can't see a rearward approaching vehicle in your rear view and side mirrors at the same time.

If the overtaking car is approaching you on the driver's side, incrementally adjust the drivers side mirror outward so the approaching car isn't visible in the side mirror until it just disappears from the rear view mirror. Then as it disappears from the side view mirror it should appear in your peripheral vision.

Repeat process on passenger side mirror on a road with an overtaking car on your passenger side.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:43 AM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess someone should buy a GT4 and a 981 Spyder and do a little transplant on them...

Originally Posted by Z356
And only one on this planet had the headlight spray nuzzles matched in color by the factory with a deviated 'Guards Red' option! Cool...
forcerecontrojan you need those...

Donn
Old 04-02-2015, 08:45 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 132 Posts
Default PS stripes on the 981?

Can anyone PS stripes on the 981 to see how it might look. I think the stripes were iconic on the 987 connecting it to its heritage

Thanks

Matt

Originally Posted by MKW
I agree. In profile, it looks like a 981 Boxster GTS that had a section of its fabric top cut out by a thief to gain access !

vs a very different profile look/vibe in the 997.2 mostly due to the unique flatter extended side glass /bimini top enhancing the " chopped " look that is the signature of the 997.2 Spyder , not the humps. Porsche cheaped out this time and the resultant persistent rounded window /domed top completely negates any uniqueness of the buttress/humps .

Old 04-02-2015, 09:09 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Pretty nifty. Except for their garish Spyder badges on the plastic...chrome no less.
dont worry P will offer those is CF, AL look, and black for few more $$$
Old 04-02-2015, 10:52 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Eduaurdo, your Spyder , inside and out and as spec'd was the best one I've ever seen , starting with the " Lotus Turbo Esprit Essex edn " color scheme, not " resale silver/white/black " !
The new one has been too flack scripted " enhanced to improve the user experience " ...the whole point of a Spyder should be that it is an endearing oddball perfect for the guys who " get it " , not to be easily understood by anyone walking in stone cold ignorant off the street as simply the most powerful model
with two humps thrown in .
I am in the hunt for one like yours...all the ones offered are in the " big three " boring colors or red.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:01 AM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a real quickie job from my laptop using only my trackpad. Just to see the positioning. Not sure if it should be here, or up on the door like the 987.

Anyway once I get to my desk and get a mouse in my hand I can do a much better job. Putting it on the door will require a bit more work but let me know if you want to see it there too.

edit: looking closer at the door option, it kind of doesn't "want" to be there. I can see maybe why it was not a part of this car. I'm gonna try it anyway when I get to work.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:06 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

the current 981 models, with their deep , much longer side scoops right behind the doors cannot use the vintage inspired wheel to wheel triple stripe like the 997.2 Spyders' , unless it is 2" tall vs 3" and placed on the rocker skirt, not the door, which would look too low / odd in real life and prob be trashed by road debris kicked up by the front tires.

the ones I've seen aftermarket that are placed on the doors start ahead of the scoop and forward to behind or in front of the front wheel well...have no historical visual reference so are kinda " tuner " looking , imo..

that is perhaps why the factory now just puts a small model identifier in that lower door area vs any striping option....this pic best illustrates my points :

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!