Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 11:15 AM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, here it is with door stripe, which clearly shows the problem.

Again this is a trackpad hack job but good enough to illicit some feedback on where it should be or how it should be changed.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:28 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^Like!

I know it runs into the side scoop but I still like it there. Thank you for that.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:30 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gmaki
OK, here it is with door stripe, which clearly shows the problem.

Again this is a trackpad hack job but good enough to illicit some feedback on where it should be or how it should be changed.

that would prob not work in real life because the door is now so deeply sculpted and the longer intake scoop stands much " prouder " of the door than the 997 era ..the stripe sections will look very disjointed from the quarter angles...prob why I have not seen any of the several aftermarket vendors sell a 3 section version like that, after three model years ...they tried , I'm sure...theirs are all just of the two front sections...too bad because the three section three stripe version as you show is the best look ...really lowers and lengthens the car visually too....I'm sure these vendors already have the two section versions spelling out " Spyder " ready to roll since the factory 86'd striping and many buyers will want it, but the I would get the one they have now that says PORSCHE , since there are already too many " Spyder " emblems scattered about on the new one
Old 04-02-2015, 02:15 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
that would prob not work in real life because the door is now so deeply sculpted and the longer intake scoop stands much " prouder " of the door than the 997 era ..the stripe sections will look very disjointed from the quarter angles...prob why I have not seen any of the several aftermarket vendors sell a 3 section version like that, after three model years ...they tried , I'm sure...theirs are all just of the two front sections...too bad because the three section three stripe version as you show is the best look ...really lowers and lengthens the car visually too....I'm sure these vendors already have the two section versions spelling out " Spyder " ready to roll since the factory 86'd striping and many buyers will want it, but the I would get the one they have now that says PORSCHE , since there are already too many " Spyder " emblems scattered about on the new one
Indeed. Which is why the KI Studios stripe stops at the door. This pic below also shows how deeply sculpted the door on the 981 is:

Old 04-02-2015, 02:53 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

That's funny. I've been messing with the door stripe trying to make it work, which it simply refuses to do. and I came up with this. Then I come in here to post it and see the KI studios. Very similar idea.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:55 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry but I think both destroy that cars beautiful lines.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:13 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Sorry but I think both destroy that cars beautiful lines.
The only one I like is the one that is not possible. The one that crosses over the side vent somewhat. Other than that I tend to agree.

I think that answers why this version does not have the stripe.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:42 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

A few thoughts/questions:

Bucket seats, they don't allow for seat heating which in an open car I find to be very desirable... Would hate to not get the beautiful buckets in this car, but what price has comfort for a mountain twisty car with occasional track use?

Also; What do you guys think of the interior options from the configurator?

There is an interesting Spyder package with red/silver black combo which is actually cheaper than the contrasting stitching interior. When you add little bits of alcantara to the regular leather interior It actually becomes significantly more expensive than the spyder interior option.

Also on the stereos... Bose system enough? I can't fathom spending $6k+ on a burmeister
Old 04-02-2015, 09:34 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

Bucket seats, they don't allow for seat heating which in an open car I find to be very desirable... Would hate to not get the beautiful buckets in this car, but what price has comfort for a mountain twisty car with occasional track use?

Also; What do you guys think of the interior options from the configurator?

There is an interesting Spyder package with red/silver black combo which is actually cheaper than the contrasting stitching interior. When you add little bits of alcantara to the regular leather interior It actually becomes significantly more expensive than the spyder interior option.

Also on the stereos... Bose system enough? I can't fathom spending $6k+ on a burmeister
It's always easier to spend other peoples money to be sure. Really can't tell you much but Sound Plus in my Spyder sucked. Bose in my Cayman's sucked. We have Burmeister in the Macan and we love it. How important is music to you? Personally for me I have spent that on audio in my other cars but music is important to me. Somedays I turn off PSE and listen to my music and tune out the world...other days the opposite. But I have had many cars with premium sound and the best I have had is my B&O in my S8 and this system in my wife's Macan turbo so this a question between your ears and your checkbook.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

When I was configuring my Spyder I initially was optioning the sport seats with heat for the same reason as you. I even told the dealer I didn't want the buckets and was focused on the regular seats. That all changed the very second I dropped into them. They were incredibly comfortable and supportive. It wasn't until I actually started driving the car that I realized the other advantage, the seats have just enough padding to keep you comfortable but otherwise they are stiff and you feel like you have hardwired your body into the car. It brings another dimension of feeling connected to the car.

For reference the buckets wrap around your body and really help to keep the heat so even on cool days (45 F) they're still fine as long as you have the windows up. They can get a little warm on a hot day with the top off but not enough to be bothersome.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:15 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default re: Heated 'Sport Bucket Seats'...

As most of you know, the gt2-type (folding) 'sport bucket seat' we had on the .2 987 Spyders, Cayman R and .2 997s did not have a heating option. Marine Blue talks about that in his post. But what few here in the US know is that starting for the 981/991 model in ROW (late 2011 calendar year on), Porsche did offer a heated seat option on the gt2-type 'sport bucket seat' in markets outside the US. These folding sport bucket seats (with airbags) are still offered in ROW and are option P03. And that is precisely the sport bucket seat, for example, that Porsche UK is offering at NO COST on the UK's version of the new 981 Spyder. And it's available with heating!

For some unknown reason (to me), neither the 918-style fixed back 'Lightweight Bucket Seat' in the MY2015 gt3 nor the same one available for this MY2016 Spyder (believed to be the same) offers a heating option. Interestingly, I believe there is a heating option (Electric Comfort Heating - #649) for those seats on the 918 Spyder, although the passenger seat on the latter does not have electric height adjustment as on the 991 or 981 version of those seats.

In Germany, PAG offers the 981 Spyder prospective owner the choice of two 'sport bucket seats' - the gt2 type (no cost option) and the 918 type (a Euro 1428 up charge). The gt2 type offers a heated seat option. The 918 type does not. For those who are keeping track of the option costs in different markets, the 918 type sport bucket in Germany cost only 1428 euros (US$ 1551 at today's exchange) vs the rather high US$ 4730 here in the US.

I find it odd that Porsche's technical staff was unable to incorporate heating into the 918 type bucket seats in the 991 or 981 versions. I agree with CAlexio & others that it would have been a great addition to any open sport car, such as this 981 Spyder. I am going to ask my fellow R Gruppe friend Thorsten Klein (the 'inventor' in the patent issued to PAG re: this seat) why heating is not able to be provided. There has to be some bizarre reason for not doing so!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...3-website.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-03-2015, 12:27 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eduardo,
Do you know why the 918 Sport Buckets aren't offered in the UK? Noticed that they were not on their online configurator. Glad we finally get Sport Buckets stateside.

What are your plans these days Porsche wise? Anything in the works?
Old 04-03-2015, 12:57 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 987720
Eduardo,
Do you know why the 918 Sport Buckets aren't offered in the UK? Noticed that they were not on their online configurator.
The only model I have noticed that the 918 sport buckets is offered in the UK, besides the 918 Spyder, is the new 991 gt3 RS:

Not even the regular MY2015 gt3 was offered with the 918 buckets. They were given only the option of the gt2 type P03s, which is perfectly OK.

I don't really know why. The take rate on P03s is pretty high still in ROW. The fold forward...and offer heating. And in the the Spyder is a no cost option. What is not to like?

Originally Posted by 987720
What are your plans these days Porsche wise? Anything in the works?
Thanks for asking. I am keeping my 'Crystal Blue' 1970 911E Targa. And I am adding something fast, loud & very 'green' that hopefully looks like this 'beast':

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...grey-gt3s.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 04-03-2015, 01:27 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
I do agree with you in the sense I am sure the performance will be amazing! There was a test in Excellence or Panorama a while back, can't remember which one, comparing a Boxster Spyder vs. a 981 Boxster S with the X73 suspension, and performance wise, I think they liked the 981 better. Sure it's a personal opinion, but no question the 981 Spyder will be a great performance car.
You probably are referring to Panorama's comparison. It was actually a base 981 with X73 and PTV. Yes, the base came out on top. Here is a funny story. Since I don't have a Porsche presently, I don't get Panorama. The owner of the garage that maintains my S2000s (got two) hands them to me whenever I visit there. He gave me that very issue just as I signed the paperworks for a CPO 987 Spyder in LA (I live in MN) and I was making arrangements to fly down and drive back. But, that comparison was a revelation. I was completely sold on 981 with X73. I am not a fan of buying a pre-owned vehicle to begin with; and, the article helped to avoid getting the Spyder with options and color choices chosen by someone else. Needless to say, I cancelled the deal!

So, since then I have been waiting for this 981 Spyder! I am pretty confident the driving dynamics and overall experience would be cutting-edge.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:27 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mile2424
As simple as they may be, one of my favorite styling points on the first gen Spyder is red bikini top hooks. Looks like those are now gone as well.
that was indeed cool!

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!