Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Well after looking at the pictures in more detail I think Porsche did right with the latest Spyder as far as appearance goes. The humps needed a harder edge to them to match the rest of the car and the rounded flowing curves just wouldn't look right on the 981. I think the only styling cue that bothers me is the black trim with the chrome Spyder logo, the rest looks fantastic. I can't wait to read some of the road tests and hear more about this car.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:28 PM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

old one looks much nicer.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:03 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Well after looking at the pictures in more detail I think Porsche did right with the latest Spyder as far as appearance goes. The humps needed a harder edge to them to match the rest of the car and the rounded flowing curves just wouldn't look right on the 981. I think the only styling cue that bothers me is the black trim with the chrome Spyder logo, the rest looks fantastic. I can't wait to read some of the road tests and hear more about this car.
I like the interior a lot! But I like the 981 interior. I like the little touches like the Spyder logo in the dash gauge and the exterior is perfect. I have made it known how I feel about the chrome badges...which btw why would those be chrome and the rear deck black?

If I could have PDK I probably would buy this instead of whatever I end up getting, was going to get the GT3 but now it looks like i8 as my dealer has a a build I can buy for a mere 15k over MSRP in Sept.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:34 AM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
...but now it looks like i8 as my dealer has a a build I can buy for a mere 15k over MSRP in Sept.
That doesn't sound so bad if you say it fast enough.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:27 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

If I do end up purchasing, then this will be my first Porsche. I saw the car at the NY Autoshow and it looked Great. This seems to be an "affordable" and really beautifully sculpted car. I especially like the manual top, the larger engine, and the bigger brakes. The stock model is already at the top of my budget so I'm keeping the options as limited as possible. Rear Camera, Heated Seats, and Stereo all seem essential to me. Basic A/C is free so that too. I'm just trying to figure what color I want and if I should splurge on the optional interior finishes. I grew up with a 1953 hard top in the drive way in White with Red interior - so that has its draw for me, but the red interior offered here seems a little busy with all the grey and black added -I wish the standard all red interior was offered but I do appreciate the bespoke aspects of what is offered. Anyway, I just want to ask all of you Porsche enthusiasts who've spent a lot of time around current Porsche Products about what color/options you would recommend for someone looking to keep the price down but somehow end up with a special car? The three shades of gray are of interest, as are the two white shades, and of course the two black shades. Every red rental I've driven ended up in a traffic ticket so I want to stay away from red. The Blue looks good but not my first pick. Any help? Also do you guys think there is any chance of asking for a discount or is that just simply impossible on these limited run models at this early stage?
Old 04-06-2015, 02:19 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
If I do end up purchasing, then this will be my first Porsche. I saw the car at the NY Autoshow and it looked Great. This seems to be an "affordable" and really beautifully sculpted car. I especially like the manual top, the larger engine, and the bigger brakes. The stock model is already at the top of my budget so I'm keeping the options as limited as possible. Rear Camera, Heated Seats, and Stereo all seem essential to me. Basic A/C is free so that too. I'm just trying to figure what color I want and if I should splurge on the optional interior finishes. I grew up with a 1953 hard top in the drive way in White with Red interior - so that has its draw for me, but the red interior offered here seems a little busy with all the grey and black added -I wish the standard all red interior was offered but I do appreciate the bespoke aspects of what is offered. Anyway, I just want to ask all of you Porsche enthusiasts who've spent a lot of time around current Porsche Products about what color/options you would recommend for someone looking to keep the price down but somehow end up with a special car? The three shades of gray are of interest, as are the two white shades, and of course the two black shades. Every red rental I've driven ended up in a traffic ticket so I want to stay away from red. The Blue looks good but not my first pick. Any help? Also do you guys think there is any chance of asking for a discount or is that just simply impossible on these limited run models at this early stage?
Is the car going to be a daily driver, and if yes, where do you live? Depending on the answer you might want to look at a standard 981 or even a Cayman.

As to a "special" car, unless you drop thousands on paint to sample, deviated stiching, etc. it is not going to be unique. If your trying to keep on a budget pass on these kind of items. Another option would be to get a used 987 Spyder with low miles and well taken care of.

Get the free stuff: radio, A/C, etc. I live in Colorado and heated seats are nice in the 987 Spyder. Pass on the camera, the car is pretty small, and you are not going to want to park it on congested streets.

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2015, 04:09 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Thank you for responding. Mostly I bike to work, and I would either keep this car at my vacation cabin in SoCal where there are public tracks and fun roads nearby or keep it in a parking garage here in NYC - in other words the car would be for pleasure: cross country driving, rides on the 74 to SJC and stuff like that. I sold my 09 135i and JCW mini specifically to buy a Porsche (both bought for pleasure), but I've been waiting for the right one (they are always coming out with something new and improved) and I think this may be it. I was thinking about the older spyder, but at 6'3, the new model has more room for my legs and I appreciate the extra horsepower. I really wanted something much more significant then my 135.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:30 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
I was thinking about the older spyder, but at 6'3, the new model has more room for my legs
Where did you get this info from?
Old 04-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Has anyone been able to confirm if PTS will be offered on the new Spyder?

I have contacted Melissa Witek, but have not received a response yet.

I ask because in the new Spyder catalog PDF there is a listing for it on page 46 or page 24 depending on how you count...
Old 04-06-2015, 05:57 PM
mopar bob
Pro

I'm 6'6" and I can tell you that the 987 Spyder has less head room than a 987 Boxster. I can also tell you that a 981 Boxster has more room.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
Has anyone been able to confirm if PTS will be offered on the new Spyder?

I have contacted Melissa Witek, but have not received a response yet.

I ask because in the new Spyder catalog PDF there is a listing for it on page 46 or page 24 depending on how you count...
I noticed that too.
Honestly I'm not sure if I would want to risk it... The PTS window to order for the 987 was a week... It will all depend on the dealer allocations and when the timing coordinates with the PTS production window. I have been there and done that and never want to go through that experience again.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:58 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Agreed. The design is killer... it's a shame the roof doesn't allow for them to bring the "valley" in between the humps as far down as they want, but in person, this thing is gong to be a stunner.

I also think it's going to look bad-a$$ in black
Old 04-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I have been told I am #1 on the list at my dealer, I have the PTS color picked and it is currently on the Porsche approved list...I just need them to say sure, that's fine with us
Old 04-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm eager to find out if PTS will be available. I have a color picked out as well, just need to decide if it's in the budget. If not I'm torn between blue with black interior or Carrara white with the special read.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:39 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Only1Buck
I have been told I am #1 on the list at my dealer, I have the PTS color picked and it is currently on the Porsche approved list...I just need them to say sure, that's fine with us
Well? Don't keep us hanging. What PTS are you going with (assuming PTS is a possibility)?

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!