Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 08:29 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportwagen
Yeah, I get that it’s pricey compared to a 2011 Spyder. But I think a lot of that just reflects how expensive Boxsters in general have become over the last 5 years, nothing particular about the Spyder. I configured myself a 981 Spyder online, checking all the options available on the Spyder that I put on my base Boxster build (the only thing I couldn’t configure was seat ventilation and 19" wheels). The Spyder build came out to $87K. This isn’t bad, since my base Boxster config MSRP’d at $67k (most of which were just basic options like X73, PSE, PTV, PDLS, 19" wheels - mostly standard on the Spyder)

So, for my particular configuration, an equivalent Spyder would cost only $20k above what my *base* Boxster build cost before the 3.8 conversion. Not bad at all.
Knowing what you know now would you still have done your conversion or bought a new Spyder with warranty etc?
Old 04-01-2015, 08:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 468 Posts

A personal opinion can be melodramatic. It does not mean it is objectively wrong. I’m merely pointing out that even *if* he really thought they looked like totally different cars and that there is no way he could *ever* possibly mistake one for another, he should be open to the possibility that many others find the Spyder very similar to the Boxster.

Let’s keep things in perspective: The differences on the body are the top, the window, the trunklid, the wheels, and the stripe. Not many people really think this makes a whole new car. If you know of any, I have some brand new “cars” to sell them at a special price.

Well I happen to disagree. I can't count how many people have asked me what kind of car that is. They also ask what year it is and are also surprised. There's a very "classic" look about the Spyder that is not present in the standard Boxster. It's not just the stripe either.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:21 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Well I happen to disagree. I can't count how many people have asked me what kind of car that is. They also ask what year it is and are also surprised. There's a very "classic" look about the Spyder that is not present in the standard Boxster. It's not just the stripe either.
Completely agree. Can't count how many people approach, ask questions, say what a gorgeous car it is, etc., etc. It grabs attention everywhere I go. Many non-car people think that it's a super car due to the exotic look. It's night and day compared to a "regular" Boxster. I know - I owned a Boxster S for several years. I assure you, most people do not confuse "regular" Boxsters with 987 Spyders.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spyder roof operation:
Old 04-01-2015, 09:50 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 987720
Pretty nifty. Except for their garish Spyder badges on the plastic...chrome no less.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:55 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,262 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by 987720
4 Steps.
1. Unhook the flaps
2. Raise the rear deck
3. Un-clip and fold back the top
4. Drop the deck.

Easy peasy...

Nice...
Old 04-01-2015, 10:21 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Knowing what you know now would you still have done your conversion or bought a new Spyder with warranty etc?
To me, it comes down to the top (once again). For the way I use my car, in the climate that I live in, I want to be able to put the top up when I'm stopped in traffic and it starts to rain. If I don't have that capability, I would leave the top up too often, and I would regret it.

I'm undecided if I like the looks of the Spyder that much more than the regular Boxster. For the 987, it was no contest. For the 981, I dislike the aero kit, the roof looks fussy when raised, and the dual hump decklid didn't turn out as well as it did on the 987.

The Spyder and the GT4 are pretty special. Still, they will make thousands of them. My car is #6 of 10, built just for me by experts in the field. And I've got all 400 horses.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:23 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

To me, it comes down to the top (once again). For the way I use my car, in the climate that I live in, I want to be able to put the top up when I'm stopped in traffic and it starts to rain. If I don't have that capability, I would leave the top up too often, and I would regret it.

I'm undecided if I like the looks of the Spyder that much more than the regular Boxster. For the 987, it was no contest. For the 981, I dislike the aero kit, the roof looks fussy when raised, and the dual hump decklid didn't turn out as well as it did on the 987.

The Spyder and the GT4 are pretty special. Still, they will make thousands of them. My car is #6 of 10, built just for me by experts in the field. And I've got all 400 horses.
I followed your thread and expected your answer to be as you wrote it. Excellent.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

I didn't say it wasn't *much* better-looking. Just that I can tell quite easily that it is the same basic car, and I don't believe it is due to my exceptional powers of discernment.

If you told those people that your car was a Boxster and not a Spyder, would they have said, incredulously, "You don't know what you're talking about!!! That looks nothing like a Boxster; it's a completely different car!!!" (adding my own melodrama here) If no, the anecdote doesn't really support the assertion.

If yes, send 'em over. Like I said, I've got some "cars" to sell those people.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo

the 987 spyder window was from the 987 cayman
Are people referring to the rear window or the small window on a Cayman (useful to check your blind spot), that the regular Boxster doesn't have?

Does the 987 Spyder have an extra little side window for better visibility?

If so I may try to find a 987 Spyder. I love my 987.2 Boxster, except for checking my blind spot when the top is up. Almost had a couple accidents in heavy traffic.

Thinking of getting a 997 cabriolet just for better visibility.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:34 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I love my 987.2 Boxster, except for checking my blind spot when the top is up. Almost had a couple accidents in heavy traffic.
I'm hesitant to even point this out, since no-one likes a know-it-all. Here goes: If your side mirrors are adjusted properly, there are no blind spots - no matter how cave-like the interior of your car is. Basically, if you can see any of the sides of your own car, the mirrors are adjusted too far in. Even though it will be disconcerting at first, try setting them properly. Once you realize how much you can now see around you, without having to swivel and crane your neck, your drive will become much more relaxed.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:41 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I'm hesitant to even point this out, since no-one likes a know-it-all. Here goes: If your side mirrors are adjusted properly, there are no blind spots - no matter how cave-like the interior of your car is. Basically, if you can see any of the sides of your own car, the mirrors are adjusted too far in. Even though it will be disconcerting at first, try setting them properly. Once you realize how much you can now see around you, without having to swivel and crane your neck, your drive will become much more relaxed.
I cannot +1 this any harder.

People find it weird how I set up my mirrors, but this is exactly how I set them up.

Tilt your head slightly, now adjust them until you can no longer see your car. Straighten your head, look at mirror, enjoy the view of your blind spots.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I'm hesitant to even point this out, since no-one likes a know-it-all..
No worries. Appreciate your thoughts, as apparently my high school drivers ed class wasn't completely on target. I will try out what you recommended.

However, for simply curiosity. I'm still wondering about the "cayman window" in the 987 Spyder.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:08 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
No worries. Appreciate your thoughts, as apparently my high school drivers ed class wasn't completely on target. I will try out what you recommended.

However, for simply curiosity. I'm still wondering about the "cayman window" in the 987 Spyder.
I wouldn't say that the Spyder has better visibility than the standard S, with the top up it's likely worse. Having said that, I haven't had much issue with it.

The Spyder window that everyone is referring to is the change in shape at the rear of the side windows. It extends further than the standard S window and flows perfectly with the rear humps when the window is up.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:44 AM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

I wouldn't say that the Spyder has better visibility than the standard S, with the top up it's likely worse. Having said that, I haven't had much issue with it.

The Spyder window that everyone is referring to is the change in shape at the rear of the side windows. It extends further than the standard S window and flows perfectly with the rear humps when the window is up.
For reference...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder!!!!