The Giant EV General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 05:24 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,093 Posts

Originally Posted by MXA121
According to this unsourced commenter, the 718 EV will not share the Macan's PPE platform, but a new one specific to the car with weight in the right place.
The PPE is scalable to include battery placement. Which in the 718 EV it’s being reported as similar to current ICE placement to retain ME dynamics.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,305 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
The PPE is scalable to include battery placement. Which in the 718 EV it’s being reported as similar to current ICE placement to retain ME dynamics.
you and I are both lovers of mid engine ICE cars/Spyders and their dynamics.

For ICE cars, mid engine is clearly the best.

For EVs, would ME dynamics really be better than the skateboard EV dynamics?

Seems there is an even lower center of gravity with a skateboard battery and perfectly balanced distribution of weight at all 4 corners.
The following users liked this post:
Chester7 (01-22-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 06:21 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
you and I are both lovers of mid engine ICE cars/Spyders and their dynamics.

For ICE cars, mid engine is clearly the best.

For EVs, would ME dynamics really be better than the skateboard EV dynamics?

Seems there is an even lower center of gravity with a skateboard battery and perfectly balanced distribution of weight at all 4 corners.
I dunno, clearly PAG thinks maintaining the rotational dynamics is important. The 718 EV platform will be low by design, we all know placement of weight is important to many of the sublime dynamics.

Old 01-21-2024, 07:58 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
simply isn't true....
Unfortunately, the truth is irrelevant to many people.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:20 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
The biggest annoyance I find with my EV from a performance aspect is significant acceleration degradation below 40%. It seems partially software controlled as it accelerates okish from a stop, but has smart car performance at highway speeds, but acceleration as a whole is definitely affected. I noticed this with electric go-karts as well as if you want to set a fast lap with those you either need to show up when it's not busy or need one that has been charging by itself for awhile not being cycled constantly.

Even if by some chance these things get the range and charging capacity to do track events, and are unbanned from the tracks they're banned at, I see endless frustration with only being fast when the power range is in the 60-80% range (or greater but realistically you aren't showing up to the track with 100%, or charging up to 100% at the track).

I find it pretty annoying even in my DD knowing if I do a trip, i'm not going to be able to trust I have power to pass sub 50% charge. I also see inconsistent power as a danger to other people assuming they have acceleration they dont at the moment.
Agreed. This also discourages people from only charging their batteries to 60-70% to preserve the health of the battery.

Because if you do so and then need to drive a significant distance, you might be fine with actual range to get home but then you don’t have as much trust in the ability of your EV to overtake quickly when necessary on a highway.

I charge my battery to 90% (at home) even when I only expect to drive 90-100 miles that day, for this reason.

I stick with 60% on days I know I’ll only be running errands around town.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:44 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 183 Posts

The way I understand it, the OEM's use their own battery management algorithms and have built in headroom at the top and bottom of the packs capacity. What you see as 100% and 0% aren't necessarily the state of charge at the cell level and it's best to just charge up the car and not worry about micro managing SoC.

or don't, do what makes you happy. It probably doesn't matter much because solid state is coming.

I think VAG has a test mule in the field testing Quantumscape's right now. Anyone know if/how the results could effect the 718?

It also looks like Lambo is licensing new MIT cells that could half the weight for a given range and discharge/charge at twice the speed.

Last edited by Mike818; 01-22-2024 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:29 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike818
The way I understand it, the OEM's use their own battery management algorithms and have built in headroom at the top and bottom of the packs capacity. What you see as 100% and 0% aren't necessarily the state of charge at the cell level and it's best to just charge up the car and not worry about micro managing SoC.

or don't, do what makes you happy. It probably doesn't matter much because solid state is coming.

I think VAG has a test mule in the field testing Quantumscape's right now. Anyone know if/how the results could effect the 718?

It also looks like Lambo is licensing new MIT cells that could half the weight for a given range and discharge/charge at twice the speed.
You are certainly correct regarding battery packs in porsche/audi and likely other manufacturers.

However, you’re incorrect regarding the most popular brand of EV, Tesla.

Tesla use a higher percentage of the EV battery pack than any other company. They do this so they can brag and sell on range and also so they profit from slightly fewer batteries in each EV, because a higher percentage of the total pack is used by Tesla compared to other companies.

Not charging a Tesla past 80% unless you’re going on a long trip is strongly recommended by Tesla and with good reason.
If you regularly charge a Tesla 95%+,
It will definitely hasten battery degradation and range loss.

Numerous articles on this.
Also a personal anecdote. Two of my friends all purchased a Model 3 around the same time I got my model 3 performance. We all lived in Westside LA and none of had a home charger. I was **** and careful about not max charging. My friends were not.

Over 3 years, both of their model 3s lost double the amount range that mine did.
Chester7 (01-24-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 11:28 AM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the correction, and of course Tesla......

Wouldn't surprise me at all if it was all just more gaslighting with the software* to cover up the fraud they commit on their customers.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...tteries-range/

*We didn't screw you, you charged the thingy wrong.

Last edited by Mike818; 01-23-2024 at 11:32 AM.
abarthguy (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 12:39 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

No reservations, no problems.
The 718 EV is not a GT car. It's not known to the public that it even exists. The Macan EV just started teasing marketing material and it will come first. I don't suspect people line up to buy normal series cars (718 base, 911 base, panamera base) so I wouldn't expect anyone to have $ down on a brand new unproven concept car that is still under wraps. The closest thing to it is the Tesla Roadster. It is funny to read the hardcore motoring bros use the lack of a "list" to quickly call the 718 EV a failure.
I am willing to make a friendly bet that the 718 EV will reach higher sales than the current 718, model for model.
Just need to check this post again on 2-3 years...
Old 01-23-2024, 01:16 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 423 Likes on 258 Posts

It all depends on how they price it. If the rumors about $100K+ pricing for the Macan EV come to pass, it will rot on the lot. Same for the 718s.

With EVs you don't get a faster car by spending more money, and that's a big problem for companies like Porsche.
Old 01-23-2024, 01:31 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

The 718 EV is not a GT car. It's not known to the public that it even exists. The Macan EV just started teasing marketing material and it will come first. I don't suspect people line up to buy normal series cars (718 base, 911 base, panamera base) so I wouldn't expect anyone to have $ down on a brand new unproven concept car that is still under wraps. The closest thing to it is the Tesla Roadster. It is funny to read the hardcore motoring bros use the lack of a "list" to quickly call the 718 EV a failure.
I am willing to make a friendly bet that the 718 EV will reach higher sales than the current 718, model for model.
You should check this thing out, and I'm sure the other OEM's are taking a hard look too. I'm not saying it's good or anything, just that it exists.

https://www.mg.co.uk/new-cars/mg-cyberster

Last edited by Mike818; 01-23-2024 at 01:32 PM.
MXA121 (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 01:57 PM
MXA121
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Larson E. Rapp
It all depends on how they price it. If the rumors about $100K+ pricing for the Macan EV come to pass, it will rot on the lot. Same for the 718s.

With EVs you don't get a faster car by spending more money, and that's a big problem for companies like Porsche.
Fully agree, it has to be reasonable.
It should be materially cheaper than a Taycan, which starts around $90k. And you absolutely pay for speed with EVs. Just look at the Taycan lineup. The Model 3 Performance, while a brilliant car for $50k, is not the same buyer imo. It's just the gateway drug. Do Cayman buyers worry themselves over BMW sedans which are faster? Nah.
Old 01-23-2024, 05:19 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 423 Likes on 258 Posts

They will when their Cayman weighs as much as the BMW sedan.
The following 2 users liked this post by Larson E. Rapp:
Chester7 (01-23-2024), ldamelio (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 11:01 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,793 Likes on 981 Posts

I thought it would sell well to status bros chasing spec sheet numbers, but with the projected price I don't see who the heck is going to buy one. I predict big flop. I wouldn't even touch a EV macan at the price they are projecting. EV's are secondary cars and ev sports cars are secondary sports cars.

Can't see many people lining up to buy a base model 718 EV for GTS 4.0 pricing that is pretty much completely useless outside of driving to and from cars and coffee meets.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
Chester7 (01-24-2024), IndigoInkTaco (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 05:27 AM
dichael
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 77 Posts

I’m guessing their marketing dept has a pretty good idea of what will & won’t work wrt price. Part of me is thinking there has to be some other (publicly unknown) desirable aspect that can overcome higher cost… if in fact a higher price is actually true. Better range? Lighter weight? Nurburgring record slayer? Idk… but if not, then I think @Zhao is probably correct.

Quick Reply: The Giant EV General Discussion Thread