Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:35 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
On a different subject matter, I need to bring the CD for a smog test in order to renew the registration here in CA. Kind of wasting my money, no? It is cheating anyway, so what's the point?
Probably... but isn't it better that CA collect your money, and THEY waste it, then you going and wasting it yourself?
Old 10-04-2017, 04:36 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Probably... but isn't it better that CA collect your money, and THEY waste it, then you going and wasting it yourself?
😂 😂 redistribution of waste?
Old 10-04-2017, 04:39 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

😂 😂 redistribution of waste?
Of all the things the government does best - wasting is at the top of the list!
Old 10-04-2017, 05:10 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Oh, I don't know... $500 for ~67,000 vehicles is $33,500,000. Each month. For 3 months, that's just over $100 million. I think they have a lot to lose. And it doesn't go back to the court, it goes to owners.

And if they don't get a fix approved after the 90 days, it goes into buyback, so after paying out the $100 million, they're now buying back the vehicles at a cost of 3-5 billion dollars, depending on the average cost per vehicle.

The longer it takes, the more it costs so dragging it out isn't in VW's interest here.
although I'm pretty sure, if they do buyback, the amount will be less anything you have already received and any of the additional $500 penalty payments.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:25 AM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

when is the "deadline" this month?
Old 10-05-2017, 01:25 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

On a different subject matter, I need to bring the CD for a smog test in order to renew the registration here in CA. Kind of wasting my money, no? It is cheating anyway, so what's the point?
The point, I would say, is to get a current registration.

Originally Posted by MJG911
although I'm pretty sure, if they do buyback, the amount will be less anything you have already received and any of the additional $500 penalty payments.
Of course. Well, it would be less the 1st half of the repair payment, but not the additional $500 penalty. Those are different and not part of restitution, but rather a punitive incentive to make something happen. And the Bosch Payments are separate, too.

So your buyback or partial fix payment would be less that first half repair payment we all got. Can't see how that's unfair.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:47 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Some of us already said as much in the "discussions" early on in this thread

Is what they are trying to accomplish the right thing? I think so. Are the attack the wrong source at this time (in relation to making an actual difference)? Absolutely. It is equally absolute that VW played some dirty pool and needed to be smacked around. This is, I believe, a case of "does the punishment fit the crime?" though.
What bothers me is the possibility of fatally harming VW and implications it could have on US firms operating in Europe or elsewhere. Someday, it's going to come around to one of our firms and the Europeans will point to the magnitude of the VW settlement to justify it.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:52 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Oh, I don't know... $500 for ~67,000 vehicles is $33,500,000. Each month. For 3 months, that's just over $100 million. I think they have a lot to lose. And it doesn't go back to the court, it goes to owners.

And if they don't get a fix approved after the 90 days, it goes into buyback, so after paying out the $100 million, they're now buying back the vehicles at a cost of 3-5 billion dollars, depending on the average cost per vehicle.

The longer it takes, the more it costs so dragging it out isn't in VW's interest here.
Late last week VW announced an additional $2.9 billion charge, increasing the total cost of Dieselgate to $30 billion. News articles only stated it was for increased costs of fixing the 2.0 liter cars, but it was very non-specific. I think folks in this thread surmised with the 3.0L buyback, costs would hit $30 billion. Who knows?
Old 10-06-2017, 12:26 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Yep, that was discussed a couple of pages back.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:51 AM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

Now it seems that Porsche is asking Audi to foot their bill...

http://www.motortrend.com/news/porsc...utomaker-audi/
Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems I've fallen for a '14 CD. It's tasty, I love it and I want one. The VW Emissions issue give me pause, so I'm hoping those of you that have been following it closely can savvy me up.

As best as I can determine, there's a $1500 payout from Bosch that's been sent out; some have it all, some received half. This all depends on ownership or lease history. However, I'm not sure on the details here.

I also see mention of a $9500 disbursement.

Additionally, there doesn't seem to be a fix yet, I think? There is also talk of a buy-back, though that has largely been for the 3.0L TDI VW vehicles. None yet announced for the CD.

For reference, I'm looking at a '14 CD with two California owners. It would be registered in the state of Washington.

What can my fellow Rennlisters share? Is there another place you can point me? Do I send it on this Cayenne Diesel or look for a gasser?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:11 PM
docdent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ticket Target
Now it seems that Porsche is asking Audi to foot their bill...

http://www.motortrend.com/news/porsc...utomaker-audi/
What was the total number of CD sold in the US?
Old 10-12-2017, 03:03 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
It seems I've fallen for a '14 CD. It's tasty, I love it and I want one. The VW Emissions issue give me pause, so I'm hoping those of you that have been following it closely can savvy me up.

As best as I can determine, there's a $1500 payout from Bosch that's been sent out; some have it all, some received half. This all depends on ownership or lease history. However, I'm not sure on the details here.

I also see mention of a $9500 disbursement.

Additionally, there doesn't seem to be a fix yet, I think? There is also talk of a buy-back, though that has largely been for the 3.0L TDI VW vehicles. None yet announced for the CD.

For reference, I'm looking at a '14 CD with two California owners. It would be registered in the state of Washington.

What can my fellow Rennlisters share? Is there another place you can point me? Do I send it on this Cayenne Diesel or look for a gasser?
This is a good place to start: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/3-0-models/

The ~$9500 settlement gets split between the "current registered owner" and the "previous registered owner", 50/50. If no previous registered owners, then the current owner gets it all. They split that payment 50/50 - half now, half after you get the fix done. If you have the VIN I think you can drop it into the site I linked to above to find out if it's still eligible.

You are correct, there is no fix yet.

Buybacks are only on "Gen 1" 3.0 TDI's now, which are 2012 and older. All Cayennes are "Gen 2" and not subject to buyback.

The Bosch payout is also apparently being split 50/50 (half before, half after taking the fix.)

I'm not sure how things shake out for people buying vehicles today, since there's a chance that the previous owner(s) have already registered and collected part of the payout.

IMO I wouldn't buy the CD solely based on the potential to collect some of the payout. I bought mine originally not thinking there would be ANY kind of payout. The fact that I did is just a bonus. They're awesome vehicles. I love mine to death.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
This is a good place to start: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/3-0-models/

The ~$9500 settlement gets split between the "current registered owner" and the "previous registered owner", 50/50. If no previous registered owners, then the current owner gets it all. They split that payment 50/50 - half now, half after you get the fix done. If you have the VIN I think you can drop it into the site I linked to above to find out if it's still eligible.

You are correct, there is no fix yet.

Buybacks are only on "Gen 1" 3.0 TDI's now, which are 2012 and older. All Cayennes are "Gen 2" and not subject to buyback.

The Bosch payout is also apparently being split 50/50 (half before, half after taking the fix.)

I'm not sure how things shake out for people buying vehicles today, since there's a chance that the previous owner(s) have already registered and collected part of the payout.

IMO I wouldn't buy the CD solely based on the potential to collect some of the payout. I bought mine originally not thinking there would be ANY kind of payout. The fact that I did is just a bonus. They're awesome vehicles. I love mine to death.
Much appreciated, Jim. Thank you.

I did stumble upon the site and plugging in in the VIN, it is included in the warranty. Without registering, I can't tell if there's been any pay-out.
I'm not all that concerned about the pay-out. The hook was set before I dug into that issue. The vehicle is superb and a fitting replacement for my RRS.

My other concern is how much an issue it will be to get it re-registered and/or smogged here in Washington if/when the fix is released.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:13 PM
DNorby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2013 Cayenne diesel last November. I paid $34k out the door from a Porsche dealer. Mine is about average for options and it had 70k miles. I think it has been a wonderful car and I too did not buy it planning on getting any settlement money. I have received about $2,500 from the 1st payments from both Bosch and Porsche (the check was from Audi). I am curious about the fix and how it might alter the performance. Someone mention that it would lose about 2 mpg. If the fix does not affect the performance and I lose mpg then it would make sense to have the fix performed (financially). I probably use about 500 gallons of diesel per year and losing 2 mpg in city driving of 23 mpg comes out to less than 50 gallons lost per year. At $2.35 per gallon for diesel that will cost me about $120 a year. $2,500/120 = about a 21 year payback.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue