Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021 | 01:08 PM
Harlequin
7th Gear

Default TC replaced by dealer

I am reporting back that the Porsche dealer by me replaced the transfer case no charge. It took a few days for the new one to come in but they got right on it. I only drove on highway for 10 miles but good so far. Here is paperwork.

Old 01-02-2021 | 08:45 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by tmcayn
I'm being rather persistent on this, If you all don't wanna get into the mechanical part - please let me know if you think I should post a new dedicated thread to TC internal operation.
Or does anyone know a better thread for discussion of TC internal mechanics?
I strongly suggest you start a separate thread on the subject of how it operates. You'll get better responses and it won't clutter up this thread which is somewhat dedicated to people experiencing problems with their transfer case.
The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021 | 02:56 PM
TRD_Power
Advanced

Going back in for TC #3 in a month (needed to wait a month for the loaner), so hopefully this is the last one it'll need before we sell the car. Sitting at 93k, so getting roughly 30k out of each one of these things... The car belonged to my in-laws before passing it down to my wife, and the fluid hasn't been changed frequently enough, so keeping my fingers crossed this next one holds up with fluid changes every 5,000 miles. I know, it's a bit excessive, but for the time and cost it takes to do, I don't mind since I'm changing the oil at the same time. Love the car, but this TC issue is very disheartening.
Old 01-04-2021 | 03:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I'm still at a loss for what fails on these units. I've been inside mine to rebuild it and if it isn't the clutches, the only issue can be change stretch. So unless the chain is really undersized or poorly made, I'm not sure why it would fail so quickly. As I noted in my rebuild post, my clutches looked brand new and the thickness was not measurably different (using calipers) from new to old.
Old 01-04-2021 | 03:09 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm still at a loss for what fails on these units. I've been inside mine to rebuild it and if it isn't the clutches, the only issue can be change stretch. So unless the chain is really undersized or poorly made, I'm not sure why it would fail so quickly. As I noted in my rebuild post, my clutches looked brand new and the thickness was not measurably different (using calipers) from new to old.
How is your rebuild holding up?
Old 01-04-2021 | 03:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
How is your rebuild holding up?
so far it seems fine. I have the slight hesitation at low rpm in 3rd gear, but that seems more like almost engine lugging or throttle delay in the pedal than it does TC issues. At heavy accel its fine, 2 to 3 shift is fine, and highway is great. i've found that if you drive it with a heavier foot, it feels good, but when you really tiptoe with it, you get a bit of jerkiness. The transmission programming is also not my favorite.

Old 01-05-2021 | 01:16 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Interesting, I had mine done in August and all of the part numbers are the same except for the transfer box. Mine is 958341013JX. Wonder what the difference is, if any?
Old 01-05-2021 | 03:55 PM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmcayn
OK so can someone critique my "understanding" of this problem?
I've read a lot of posts, which is time-consuming, but I think I have it.

=================
My current understanding:

The Cayenne is direct-drive to the rear, with an active, computer-controlled clutch that engages the front axles to make it "AWD".
The active clutch system squeezes the clutch disc pack and throws power to the front axles upon command from the traction-control system.
There is some mechanical component squeezing the clutch disc pack too.

The jerking is the front axles clutching in and out, which is the Cayenne alternating between 4wd / 2wd / 4wd / 2wd.
Consequently you have to be accelerating hard enough for the rear wheels to be breaking traction, to feel the difference between 2wd / 4wd / 2wd / 4wd

When you disconnect the electrical plug, the Cayenne becomes a rear-drive 2wd and cannot do the 2wd / 4wd / 2wd / 4wd.
I think these statements you've made are not accurate for the Cayenne? They are accurate for other "4WD" cars/trucks but generally not true for AWD cars like the Cayenne. The Cayenne is never 2WD. Its always Four wheel driven (AWD) with power 38/62 (F/R) at default. The stepper motor on the TC allows the 38/62 ratio to change based on traction . By disabling the stepper motor (unplugging it), you're locking the car into its default 38/62 (F/R). Power in the Cayenne flows as such: Engine >> Transmission >> Transfer Case clutches >> Wheels. Maybe a better way to look at a Cayenne is like a motorcycle. It uses a wet clutch system to put power down...

I suspect the failure of the TC are the clutch plates that allow for the power split. As moisture gets into the TC fluid, it loses its properties and wears out the clutches prematurely creating the slip/stuttering.

not sure if you've read these:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...e-failure.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...lly-fails.html
Old 01-11-2021 | 11:29 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Anyone been reimbursed by PNA yet? I submitted my paperwork in Sept and have not received a check. Called them this morning and apparently they are backed up.

Old 01-11-2021 | 11:48 AM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTorTT
Anyone been reimbursed by PNA yet? I submitted my paperwork in Sept and have not received a check. Called them this morning and apparently they are backed up.
I believe this is a 3rd party handling claims.
I submitted for the camshaft bolts it took over a year to be paid.
Old 01-11-2021 | 01:10 PM
Scott C
Advanced

Originally Posted by GTorTT
I called them back in Nov, finally got a call back in Dec and was told my reimbursement was approved and I’d be getting a check in Jan. Of course I got a call 2 days later from someone else saying that my claim was still processing, so who really knows?

The people @ Epiq really a bunch of rude jerks that have no clue; they don’t even pronounce “Porsche” correctly. Honestly whomever @ PCNA chose this company to handle reimbursement claims should be reprimanded; I could do a better job from my kitchen and probably charge less. I wish there was an escalation path.
Old 01-11-2021 | 03:53 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

The website says "up to 10 weeks". I submitted my paperwork much longer ago than that. I asked the woman this morning to confirm I was in the system. She said yes, and that my paperwork was show to be complete. Yet no check. No idea when it would be mailed. She said "feel free to call back".

Oh... I will, trust me.

The following users liked this post:
itgrunt (01-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2021 | 11:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

When we were seeking reimbursement for the Variocam recall - we had the same experience. I finally had enough with the company hired by Porsche Cars NA to handle the recall claims and reimbursements.. so I looked into how Porsche Cars NA uses email addresses..

Their email addresses are in the format firstname.lastname@porsche.us

I would imagine one might find the name of some executives who might be able to rattle the tree a bit with some searching.

Just sayin'.. after I rattled the tree last time suddenly the hired company decided to get going on making payments. It turns out there are rules for reimbursement when a recall is issued, including time limits on how long the company has to pay you back.

If this had been a "recall" - then Porsche would be obligated to reimburse you within a certain time period (I seem to recall 90 days) from when your claim was submitted. Since this isn't a recall, but an extension of a warranty that law doesn't apply, and money on Porsche's investments grows while they have it - that growth stops for them when you have it. There may be some motivation behind the not terribly fast reimbursements.
Old 01-12-2021 | 09:20 AM
chandanYOGI
Advanced

my 2014 cayenne S diesel ( brought at 56 k miles) started showing the jerk syndrome soon after purchase. The indy mechanic wasnt sure if changing oil would help. but drained the case to have look at the oil condition anyway. didn't like the ay oil looked. and add to trouble couldn't source the right grade oil too. so in the end decided to filter the oil with fine cotton and reuse the oil till the fresh oil arrived. funny enough this filtering smoothened the jerk by almost 70%. This being india couldn't source the original Porsche TC fluid, getting a BMW TC fluid instead. if i find any any misbehavior will order revenol directly from Germany next.
Old 01-13-2021 | 07:55 PM
Nzyme
8th Gear

HI everyone, I recently got a 2014 958 base from a friend and may be also joining the failed TC club. With mine, I've noticed that it feels like I'm driving on rumble strips up until ~50mph and I'm assuming that it's a TC issue based on everyone's experience here (or I just need to get wheels balanced). A new thing I noticed today is that the entire car shudders when I'm turning at a low speed. So, I'm just wondering if it is my TC and if I should just change the TC fluid/take it to porsche for a warranty.

Quick Reply: Transfer case