Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 10:41 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 354 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
Scheduled an inspection for December 8th, which is a few days before my 10 year in-service date of 12/13/10.

Not sure what to expect as no significant symptoms since I've been changing the fluid every other oil change for the last 40K miles and now have 120K on it. I did have jerkiness before the initial fluid change but don't know if that will be enough. The SA said they've pretty much just been swapping all of them out but I somehow doubt that.
Let us know...
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (12-01-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 02:00 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M
Scheduled an inspection for December 8th, which is a few days before my 10 year in-service date of 12/13/10.

Not sure what to expect as no significant symptoms since I've been changing the fluid every other oil change for the last 40K miles and now have 120K on it. I did have jerkiness before the initial fluid change but don't know if that will be enough. The SA said they've pretty much just been swapping all of them out but I somehow doubt that.
Pretty much as I expected. Since I changed the fluid @ 80K and every 20K since then they can't reproduce any issues so it won't be swapped.

I'm not necessarily unhappy as if it's working, it's working. Just hope it doesn't have any issues further down the road.

At least I get a free wash.
Mrg02D (12-07-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 11:26 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 289 Posts

In another thread, a member is talking about getting his transfer case replaced and the dealer is telling him that it wasn't replaced. https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ejections.html

My response was as follows:

I wonder if there isn't a potentially large legal liability looming over Porsche. Porsche might be trying to dodge a recall ordered by NHTSA or a brewing class action. "See, we are even changing them as fast as we can, even those that do not need it." Kinda sounds stupid but when people get desperate, they get stupid.

Just thinking/guessing out loud. Here it goes:

It appears to be a design flaw. If it were an ATC manufacturing flaw, then we would be swimming in transfer case replacements, loaners, apologies and no BS from dealers or PCNA... all at ATC's expense.

So the story could go like this. In the beginning, Porsche sends the driveline specs to ATC who is probably a preferred supplier. Multiple info exchanges later, probable test run data reduced and analyzed, Porsche (engineering, manufacturing, contracts, pricing, sales, etc) say okay. So now both parties hands are dirty with a yet to be known design flaw.

A few years later in production, warranty returns are coming back to ATC and getting a lot of internal interest by both parties. Lots of technical analysis and engineering judgement being thrown around. "Needs a front shaft seal because moisture is getting in there", "it needs more cooling", "it needs a vent line too", "let's try early lube changes", "should we change the lube specification", etc.

Well those do not solve THE problem but I suspect that those earlier efforts did allow THE bigger root cause to finally come to light, the clutch packs design (recall that the TC was approved by both Porsche and ATC) is fundamentally flawed, not robust enough to last more than a a few years. So we are now seeing GNC coated clutches and maybe even a change to the disk material.

So a lot of legal mud wrestling between ATC and Porsche and we the customers are getting caught in the middle of their short-sightedness.

Nothing short of a NHTSA recall is going to make this situation better.

So with that, has everyone filed their complaint with NHTSA.gov????

Last edited by CAVU; 12-09-2020 at 06:47 PM.
karraski (02-14-2021)
Old 12-11-2020, 01:02 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

hmm, i can't say i agree with your logic because there is no real safety concern. I've never seen of these boxes fail so badly that the driver loses propulsion or has a condition that results in loss of vehicle control. Basically the issue is just some clunky, jerky, or sloppiness in how the car drives. As a result, I don't see how this would result in a recall.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:17 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
hmm, i can't say i agree with your logic because there is no real safety concern. I've never seen of these boxes fail so badly that the driver loses propulsion or has a condition that results in loss of vehicle control. Basically the issue is just some clunky, jerky, or sloppiness in how the car drives. As a result, I don't see how this would result in a recall.
I can agree with that. More wishful thinking on my end. You said it, clunky jerky sloppiness, me no likey.
Old 12-11-2020, 06:27 PM
AnAlbumCover
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1225
I can agree with that. More wishful thinking on my end. You said it, clunky jerky sloppiness, me no likey.
Your TC may not have been bad enough but with mine if I didn't account for the slipping I can see how merging onto a road could become a safety issue. Essentially a massive loss of power when trying to accelerate.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:17 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AnAlbumCover
Your TC may not have been bad enough but with mine if I didn't account for the slipping I can see how merging onto a road could become a safety issue. Essentially a massive loss of power when trying to accelerate.
I’ve read some people saying car is surging as well. Yeah, mines not that bad.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:33 PM
Harlequin
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Greetings. My 2013 CTT 56K miles is making the thumping sounds in low gears. Bringing in to the dealer in 2 weeks and they said they will check it out. I will report back.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:32 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree. I think it is a safety issue. Mine was so bad that I could hardly get up a hill. Can’t imagine what would have happened if I had to quickly get out of an intersection or it did it while passing on a 2 lane road. It was replaced in September. Now as far as a recall is concerned , I’m not sure it will solve much because I for one have no reason to believe they either know totally what the problem is or have solved it once and for all.
Old 12-14-2020, 12:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

FYI, the dealer I made an appointment at notified me that if the Transfer case is fine or deemed not to be the cause of the issue, they will bill a $195 diagnostic fee. My symptoms are slight, so I'm expecting them to tell me its fine and ask for cash.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:10 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 354 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
FYI, the dealer I made an appointment at notified me that if the Transfer case is fine or deemed not to be the cause of the issue, they will bill a $195 diagnostic fee. My symptoms are slight, so I'm expecting them to tell me its fine and ask for cash.
Let us know what they say.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
Let us know what they say.
will do.

of note, I disconnected the plug for the TC and it feels slightly different. The concern is that its something you'd only notice if you really paid attention.

for reference, I get a mild jerk (for lack of a better word) when very slightly getting on the throttle after a 2-3 shift.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:19 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

My experience:

West Broward: SA was an ahole over the phone. Told me they will charge me $199 upfront and no loaner since I did not buy the car from them. I said I just moved here and need something just to get around. Nope. Ok, bye Felicia never again. Do not recommend.

West Palm Beach: Truly exceptional. First class all the way. I just took it in because it was near me. I was ready to pay the $199. They said my tc is fine which was disappointing but they were very professional and acted normal which is abnormal for a Porsche dealer.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:24 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Sorry, in the end I was not charged $199.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:29 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I took mine in last week and was told it's fine - which I thought they would say. If I'd never changed the fluid pretty sure it would have been replaced but it's been fine since the fluid change 40K miles ago & now at 120K.

No fee for the trouble. No loaner as those were 5 weeks out but got a ride home and a dealer-paid Uber ride back to pick it up.

Quick Reply: Transfer case