Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 02:36 PM
ahimanic
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I followed the DIY forum instructions on changing the TC fluid and it went pretty much without a hitch...except it appears that I may not have enough fluid. I pumped the entire liter white bottle of Porsche brand TC/transmission fluid (000-043-305-63-OEM) into the TC but it did not overflow out of the top filler hole.

I thought it was suppose to take only 0.8 liter? I have very little fluid left in the bottom of the bottle.

I also re-used the filler and drain hole bolts without using additional sealant and so far no leaking. I just hand tightened judiciously without using a torque wrench to avoid cracking the TC case. I marked the original positions with a permanent marker and when I tightened I noticed they went past the original point by about a quarter turn, probably because I didn't add additional bolt sealant.

Think it's safe to drive the car or I better get another bottle and fill until it overflows?
Old 02-17-2021, 03:01 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by ahimanic
I followed the DIY forum instructions on changing the TC fluid and it went pretty much without a hitch...except it appears that I may not have enough fluid. I pumped the entire liter white bottle of Porsche brand TC/transmission fluid (000-043-305-63-OEM) into the TC but it did not overflow out of the top filler hole.

I thought it was suppose to take only 0.8 liter? I have very little fluid left in the bottom of the bottle.

I also re-used the filler and drain hole bolts without using additional sealant and so far no leaking. I just hand tightened judiciously without using a torque wrench to avoid cracking the TC case. I marked the original positions with a permanent marker and when I tightened I noticed they went past the original point by about a quarter turn, probably because I didn't add additional bolt sealant.

Think it's safe to drive the car or I better get another bottle and fill until it overflows?
Was your car on level? Mine usually starts dribbling at a little less than a quart. But the car must be level when you fill.
The following users liked this post:
ahimanic (02-18-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 03:36 PM
ahimanic
Advanced

Well, I did it on the street. While I can't guarantee it's completely level but it looks level to the eyes.

I didn't jack it up either, I just set the air suspension at the highest level so I can crawl under.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:49 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 241 Posts

Well, I did it on the street. While I can't guarantee it's completely level but it looks level to the eyes.

I didn't jack it up either, I just set the air suspension at the highest level so I can crawl under.
That is how I do my car too. I'm guessing but I bet your car was on a slight incline nose down... And if it took a full quart then you may be slightly overfilled. Is it enuff to create a problem? I doubt it. But it is easy enough to correct. If you pull the top plug and put your finger in the hole and can feel the fluid level I would leave.
The following 2 users liked this post by twodollardoug:
ahimanic (02-17-2021), tmcayn (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 04:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

If you put the whole 800ml bottle in, you are properly filled.

50ml one way or another won't have a material impact here.
ahimanic (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 04:12 PM
tmcayn
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I’d park it on a geniune level and take out the filler plug. Maybe some oil runs out, so be ready with a pan. And if not, poke a finger in and find out what the level is. Remove all doubts so you’re happy driving down the road 😊.
ahimanic (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 04:44 PM
ahimanic
Advanced

Thanks! All great suggestions.

I did stick my finger in the fill hole but couldn't feel the oil, My finger was kind of blocked by a tab that feels plastic and it moved a little bit.
dndodd (03-22-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 06:55 PM
tmcayn
Intermediate

Ahimanic, just to be 100% on this....before wishing you the ultimate bliss as you squirt down the hiway....

Putting a whole quart into a 0.8L capacity, and not finding it overfilled, running out, is still kind of disconcerting.
Possible that slightly off-level it can hold 25% more than the spec, and maybe you have discovered something.
But worth confirming with a pic, since your entire post was text.
So.....are these the drain and fill plugs you used?

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
If you put the whole 800ml bottle in, you are properly filled.
And now I see that Quadcammer says the bottle is 0.8L total.
Is the bottle 0.8L or 1.0L?

Last edited by tmcayn; 02-17-2021 at 07:08 PM.
ahimanic (02-18-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 09:15 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcayn
Stock Porsche XFR case fluid is 850cc. Which is also the capacity of the case oddly enough. Go figure. It wouldn't take much of a nose down (lower) attitude by the Cayenne to have the fluid below the line even when it's correct.
The following 2 users liked this post by deilenberger:
ahimanic (02-17-2021), jayi836 (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 02:29 PM
ahimanic
Advanced

Originally Posted by tmcayn

Ahimanic, just to be 100% on this....before wishing you the ultimate bliss as you squirt down the hiway....

Putting a whole quart into a 0.8L capacity, and not finding it overfilled, running out, is still kind of disconcerting.
Possible that slightly off-level it can hold 25% more than the spec, and maybe you have discovered something.
But worth confirming with a pic, since your entire post was text.
So.....are these the drain and fill plugs you used?

Thanks for your concern and wanting to confirm...yes those in the picture are exactly the filler and drain holes I used to changing the TC fluid. To be exact, the white Porsche OEM fluid bottle is 850ML which is 0.85 quart so it's not quite a quart.

Last edited by ahimanic; 02-18-2021 at 02:31 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 02-18-2021, 02:55 PM
ahimanic
Advanced

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Stock Porsche XFR case fluid is 850cc. Which is also the capacity of the case oddly enough. Go figure. It wouldn't take much of a nose down (lower) attitude by the Cayenne to have the fluid below the line even when it's correct.
I went back to the street spot I did the change on and put the Pepper in neutral to let it free roll. It did inch forward very slowly down the street so there is an ever-so-slight head first decent. If I turn the wheels then the car stops rolling.

I then parked the car head first in my garage and place in neutral. It also inched backwards very slowly. So looks like I have no perfectly flat spot

I will order another bottle and add to overflow to be safe. No point risk ruining the TC over a few bucks. The Porsche fluid is much more expensive than Ravenol though. I used the Porsche OEM fluid because I read in this forum previously that Ravenol did experience some slippage and Porsche fluid is a safer bet? I think it might have been you that posted that info but memory is fuzzy. Seems most people have been using Ravenol without issue now?
Old 02-18-2021, 07:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

I went back to the street spot I did the change on and put the Pepper in neutral to let it free roll. It did inch forward very slowly down the street so there is an ever-so-slight head first decent. If I turn the wheels then the car stops rolling.

I then parked the car head first in my garage and place in neutral. It also inched backwards very slowly. So looks like I have no perfectly flat spot

I will order another bottle and add to overflow to be safe. No point risk ruining the TC over a few bucks. The Porsche fluid is much more expensive than Ravenol though. I used the Porsche OEM fluid because I read in this forum previously that Ravenol did experience some slippage and Porsche fluid is a safer bet? I think it might have been you that posted that info but memory is fuzzy. Seems most people have been using Ravenol without issue now?
It won't hurt to overfill it a tad. The oil path in it is built by the chain going to the low spot in the case and oil attaching and being pumped up to the clutch area by the chain. No real "oil pump" - but more than just splash lubrication.

Ravenol should be fine. That was me - but I've since gone back to Revenol without any issues.
ahimanic (02-18-2021)
Old 02-18-2021, 09:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Dude...stop over thinking. you put in at least 800ml. Its 1000% fine. No need to do anything.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:48 AM
ahimanic
Advanced

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Dude...stop over thinking. you put in at least 800ml. Its 1000% fine. No need to do anything.
OK
Old 02-19-2021, 12:00 PM
tmcayn
Intermediate

I used to think there could be a benefit in overfilling gearboxes. Then reading up on it I found that gearbox designers raise the oil level incrementally while monitoring gearbox temperature. When the temperature rises slightly (due to too much oil) they set the level slightly below that point.
ahimanic (02-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Transfer case