Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 08:02 PM
Tim Matar
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi there, wondering whether these symptoms could be TC related. 958.1 2011 S 80k miles. I have only owned and driven the car for less than one tank of fuel so I am very new to them. I have read a lot on this issue and I don’t seem to have some of the typical symptoms like thud/clunk, driving on corrugations or roughness between gears. I have two possible unrelated symptoms. One, a sound that is hard to hear but noticeable in 2nd gear that sounds like exhaust rumbles / small backfires (sporty like) when backing off. Very hard to pick up unless you are listening for it. I have noticed twice recently when warm, reversing out of a car park and put the car in drive it and accelerate it feels for a brief moment something was grabbing and releases. Trans and TC recently serviced by an independent. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:50 PM
Scott C
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CHECK CAME!

FYI All, my check came in today. You'll note below that I contacted my dealer on 2/8. They looked into it for me, and the check was cut on 2/15/21. I'm not entirely happy b/c when the repair was done I was told that the TC failure had caused the failure in my Front Differential, which was replaced at the same time (cascading failure). They didn't reimburse me for the Diff. I'm going to reconfirm with my dealer that it was, indeed, a cascading failure, get that documented, then sue in small claims for the balance.

Anyhow, hopefully all your checks come soon too! If not, and you have a good relationship with the dealer, you might want to reach out!

-SC

Originally Posted by Scott C
Well, I waited an extra week b/c I know the post office is being slow but I still don't have my check (despite it being promised by EoJanuary). It's now been 21 weeks since I submitted my claim, and I haven't seen a dime. This is getting ridiculous.

I just got off the phone with them again and this time they said that they saw my claim was approved, and that it was supposed to be sent out by end of January, but that "we have no idea when payments will actually be mailed." At least "we're clueless" is honest, but I'm left with no choice but to escalate.

I've emailed my dealer to see if they have a contact @ PCNA that is responsible for this (I have good rapport over there). If they don't, I'm going to do some sleuthing and escalate to PCNA myself.

-SC
Old 02-25-2021, 03:06 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I am close to pulling the trigger on a 2011 958 turbo with low miles. Reading this thread is making me nervous. It is going in for PPI tomorrow morning so we will see. It was CPO’d by Porsche at the end of last year but based on what I’ve read here nothing seems like a sure thing ever at low mileage. Coming from 911 world, is this a cayenne equivalent of clutch replacement and something that’s just a cost of ownership or should I bail?
Old 02-25-2021, 11:36 AM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripking
I am close to pulling the trigger on a 2011 958 turbo with low miles. Reading this thread is making me nervous. It is going in for PPI tomorrow morning so we will see. It was CPO’d by Porsche at the end of last year but based on what I’ve read here nothing seems like a sure thing ever at low mileage. Coming from 911 world, is this a cayenne equivalent of clutch replacement and something that’s just a cost of ownership or should I bail?
I have almost 200.000 on my 2011 CTT, I did have the issues described here but after a fluid change and another after 5000 miles no more issues. I received the extended warranty and the TC was replaced last November by a friendly service writer.
It's the closest thing to my 997 turbo with more space.Driven it several times for 18+ hours stopping only for fuel. No fatigue or cramping.
All cars have issues if your worried about it get one of the Asian SUV's.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:05 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

That comment kind of just makes me want it more, hah! My daily is a 997.2 base, this will be primarily for my wife but I end up driving it close to half the time. Not super worried and definitely prefer a Cayenne to any Japanese SUV, just want to go in eyes wide open. My 997 required new shocks within 6 months of ownership so it wasn’t a great start, but it has been pretty smooth sailing since then (knock on wood).
The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 01:09 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

That comment kind of just makes me want it more, hah! My daily is a 997.2 base, this will be primarily for my wife but I end up driving it close to half the time. Not super worried and definitely prefer a Cayenne to any Japanese SUV, just want to go in eyes wide open. My 997 required new shocks within 6 months of ownership so it wasn’t a great start, but it has been pretty smooth sailing since then (knock on wood).
Crap picture but love this thing for the past 4 years

heading for 200k fast
deilenberger (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 06:34 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

PPI returned clean as a whistle, feels like I found a bit of a unicorn here... If I said no at this point I'd always be telling myself 'what if'. Wish me luck in my 958 transfer case journey!

Will make an intro post with pics once it arrives!
The following 2 users liked this post by Ripking:
dbonds (03-03-2021), Nittany1 (03-13-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 06:38 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 241 Posts

My 2012 CTT has 80k and it's original transfer case. I do maintain it as it's has been trouble free. It is such a nice car I'm glad I didn't let the transfer case problems scare me away. And if I have to replace it sometime in the future I will cross that road when I get to it.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:53 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

PPI returned clean as a whistle, feels like I found a bit of a unicorn here... If I said no at this point I'd always be telling myself 'what if'. Wish me luck in my 958 transfer case journey!

Will make an intro post with pics once it arrives!
Well congrats!
Some unsolicited free advice change all the fluids/filters including coolant, unless you have service records.
The magical term car complies like to market is "lifetime fluids" not sure whos lifetime?
iI nothing else is do the Aisin 8 speed transmission at 50-60K ask me how I know I have a receipt for $11,000.00 f@121,243 or a replacing the entire unit by P.O. Makes no sense a Toyota product that failed? less than $300 DIY of find a shop
Ripking (02-25-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 03:00 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

How safe is it to keep driving the cayenne if it's having symptoms of TC failure? Ours is definitely on it's way out, but appt at dealer is 1 month away. The CS now has 51k miles, original TC replaced around 28k miles, and did a TC flush myself at 40k miles.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:27 PM
dc1225
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by drdantheman1
How safe is it to keep driving the cayenne if it's having symptoms of TC failure? Ours is definitely on it's way out, but appt at dealer is 1 month away. The CS now has 51k miles, original TC replaced around 28k miles, and did a TC flush myself at 40k miles.
We all have been driving with it for years so you should be ok unless you have very dangerous symptoms.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:38 AM
Tim Matar
Instructor

Why is it that some TCs fail every 20-30k miles and others don’t have the symptoms at 80k miles? Is there another factor or are some faulty and some not? I thought the issues related to the design and would be more consistent. I have 80k miles and 2-3mths of Porsche TC warranty remaining. In a way I wish mine would play up so it doesn’t happen right after warranty.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:29 PM
desmo888
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just to report in. We bought our 2012 base a year ago with 81K. All was well until December, around 100k, I started to feel some thumping but only occasionally. It gradually got worse so I put it on a lift to inspect the driveshaft. Everything was solid so I investigated the t-case issue that is all over this forum. Since Porsche extended the warranty to 10 years, I dropped it off at the local dealer. They confirmed is was the t-case and replaced it. They didn't have any in stock but they got one in quickly and only had the car 3 days. I'm going to pick it up tonight. I'm very happy with the service I got. Thanks to all those that suffered through paying this bill and fighting to be reimbursed!

Dave
Elizabethtown, PA
The following 2 users liked this post by desmo888:
deilenberger (03-12-2021), Tim Matar (03-12-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 01:46 PM
911guyinaz
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Happy you got it taken care of.... I bought an after market warranty and then Porsche extended the coverage ....Why it took all those years to do the right thing ??
Old 03-15-2021, 07:09 AM
Tim Matar
Instructor

Guys, mine is at 80k miles.Before I read about the warranty extension i proactively replaced TC fluid and transmission fluid as soon as I purchased the vehicle. I now have a number of symptoms which may or may not be related to the TC and I only have 2 months left before warranty runs out. My symptoms most frequent to least frequent: 1)Whenever i decel i get a crackle coming from underneath the cabin in downshifts to 3rd and 2nd gear. More noticeable in Sport because it downshifts sooner and harder. 2) Constant transmission noise/whine which can be felt through steering wheel as a high frequency very subtle vibration. Changes with revs, worse when cold, less noticeable in higher gears and pretty sure same noise is apparent when not in gear and reving. 3) Subtle sensation that feels like I am driving over corrugations sometimes when cruising at city speeds. 4) Noticeable vibration above speeds around 40mphr upward. 5) Occasionally when reversing out of a park at 90 degrees and shifting to drive something momentarily sticks.

What I don’t get is any thumping or grabbing when hard lock circles in car parks. I am concerned I can’t reproduce typical TC symptoms. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Transfer case