Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019 | 10:56 AM
RomSL
Instructor

Originally Posted by docwyte
I think that's a real stretch. The fitment of two metal surfaces isn't going to be affected by how the tranny shifts. It's worth a try but I wouldn't have any expectations...
Audi covered the same issue by a long block warranty.
Old 05-29-2019 | 07:32 PM
alexaqui
Racer

I dropped it off at my local Indy for diagnostic. The leak is coming from the front of the engine, presumably an oil cooler. Waiting to hear back final confirmation. I'm 99% sure it won't even ben worth asking about for warranty coverage as it is bolted to the engine block.
Old 05-30-2019 | 11:10 AM
Rupert16
Advanced

As I said just a few days ago, I'd really want to make certain it's not coming from any of the 2 intercooler pipes, they converge at the bottom of Radiator in front of the engine.
Secondly it's possible something was disturbed when the Emissions Fix took place, personally I don't trust a lot technicians at dealerships as that title doesn't mean they're a good mechanic.
On my CD with 90k 50ish thousand miles I see lots of moist oily residue weeping from these areas, but I'm going to strip these and clean the whole induction circuit.
Good luck.
Old 05-30-2019 | 11:14 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Thanks for the input. My dealer messed upon the emissions fix as my cats developed leaks and they put in the new emissions fixed ones instead of replacing. For the warranty work to be covered, they had to take them off, put new old ones on, certify that the car was fixed, and then do the emissions fix. Who knows how much juggling of stuff they had to do to do the work. The car was at the shop for almost 2 full weeks.

Either way, my independent shop is excellent and I trust them to figure this out. I'm getting out of this car ASAP as it has turned into a money pit in the last 10k miles. Its annoying because I'm meticulous with maintenance. I just cannot justify the "I just put x into it and everything is fixed so I should be good for another 2-3 years before another major repair" logic anymore. It will be cheaper for me to buy something else at this point.
Old 05-30-2019 | 02:12 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

That's sad for you, I generally feel these machines are brilliantly made. My feeling it's going to be hard to satisfy your driving pleasure you had with your Cayenne. I'm retired but my wife got me a part time driving job as shuttle driver for a Company that does PPF & Window tint, I'm driving all brands from Range Rover to Ford, Gm etc. Nothing even comes close to our Porsches.
Old 05-30-2019 | 08:00 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

If it makes you feel any better I'm getting hammered by my DD Lexus GX470 this year. It currently has ~125k miles on it and I've had to replace the tires, brakes, alignment, tune up, serpentine belt, alternator, both front axles, shocks all the way around, brake light bulbs, radiator and fix a water leak on the roof rack foot. Then on top of that the rack and pinion seals are leaking, so eventually I'm going to have to replace that.
Much like you I'm telling myself that the SUV is good now for awhile. My plan is to drive it another 2 years, then give it to my daughter when she turns 16. If this maintenance nightmare continues tho, I'm going to be forced to ditch it. I'm getting really tired of spinning wrenches on it.
Old 05-30-2019 | 09:24 PM
Rupert16
Advanced

Hi there Mate,

Bad news for your Lexus, which is essentially a Toyota Prada elsewhere granted it has a bit more fancy kit.
I'm not sure what year yours is, but the model a couple of yrs ago had all sorts of design issues one being handling and chassis problems.
A bit hard to find, don't bother looking on Lexus forums per say go straight to Down Under Toyota Prada sites. Aussie and South Africa, that's where you'll find out how good your true Japanese SUV and Pickups are, not these North American designer Toyota Pickups like the Tacoma and Tundra.
It's unfortunate Mitsubishi stopped bringing the Montero or everywhere else the Pajero and Shogun, an extremely capable Machine.
Good Luck.

Last edited by Rupert16; 06-02-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-07-2019 | 09:56 PM
RS-America
Pro

Just found this dated 31 May 2019 on the Porsche site - not sure what this means.
Can customers refuse the update?
In the case of a mandatory recall operation such as this, it is compulsory to install the software update. If customers decide against the software update, they risk the withdrawal of their official operating licenses. This is beyond Porsche’s sphere of influence and that of its dealerships.
• Porsche News • Company • Porsche and Diesel - Questions and Answers

Porsche and Diesel 05/31/2019 Answers to all FAQ
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/comp...ent-14134.html
Old 06-07-2019 | 10:41 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Don't think it means anything for the US market. However, our German friends may eventually run afoul of the authorities if they don't have it fixed. After my experience, I'd tell them to stick it.
Old 06-08-2019 | 01:11 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS-America
Just found this dated 31 May 2019 on the Porsche site - not sure what this means.
Can customers refuse the update?
In the case of a mandatory recall operation such as this, it is compulsory to install the software update. If customers decide against the software update, they risk the withdrawal of their official operating licenses. This is beyond Porsche’s sphere of influence and that of its dealerships.
• Porsche News • Company • Porsche and Diesel - Questions and Answers

Porsche and Diesel 05/31/2019 Answers to all FAQ
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/comp...ent-14134.html
Yeah, that's talking about Euro recalls and rules.
Old 06-18-2019 | 06:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Came in here to say....this lag sucks a@@. My wife, who is not a leadfoot, is complaining about it. And when I drive the car now that it's 90 plus out. Ugh.

Anyone get the Malone tune yet? Wife is insistent not to get rid of the car.
Old 06-18-2019 | 08:12 PM
RomSL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Came in here to say....this lag sucks a@@. My wife, who is not a leadfoot, is complaining about it. And when I drive the car now that it's 90 plus out. Ugh.

Malone tune won’t fix the heat lag.
Old 06-18-2019 | 08:20 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

I spoke to a local Malone dealer, they told me they needed my car for two full days to do the tune.

I didn’t bother continuing. Could consider the OBD port programmer.
Old 06-19-2019 | 07:32 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Originally Posted by RomSL
Malone tune won’t fix the heat lag.
Is that first hand experience or just going by what others have said? I saw YaNi's post about stage 1 in the diesel tune thread and was a bit disappointed if that is the standard outcome of the Malone tune that keeps the DPF in operation. I wouldn't mind killing the EGR function after warmup and shutting down the DEF but, I don't want to be rolling coal.
Old 06-19-2019 | 07:37 AM
RomSL
Instructor

This is my personal experience with stage 2. Emission system is intact. It’s not as bad as stock, though. Best bang for the buck is a stock TCU firmware.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue