Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016 | 06:43 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

I'm pretty sure it has to do with trying to protect your own industry. Diesel cars are very common in Europe but not a lot of US car makers are in the front lines when it comes to Diesel engines.

If Ford/Chrysler/ Dodge would have been accused the penalties would not been as hard.
Old 02-09-2016 | 07:03 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I'm pretty sure it has to do with trying to protect your own industry. Diesel cars are very common in Europe but not a lot of US car makers are in the front lines when it comes to Diesel engines.
Actually they have a competitive suite of diesel options in Europe (via sub-brands in some cases). They just don't bring them over here. Part of it is the crash and environmental regulation differences, but historically the US car market has not been interested in small and/or diesel cars like are popular in Europe. The later of course makes the cost/value of dealing with the former less profitable.
Old 02-09-2016 | 07:32 PM
shiplawyer
1st Gear

Default Accommodation for Diesel Cayenne CPO Owners -- Another Two Years of Warranty Coverage

I have a very low mileage CPO 2013 Cayenne Diesel, which I enjoy very much. While the word has been out for some time that Porsche will extend the warranty for Cayenne Diesels to 6 yrs. and 100,000 miles, until today I had heard nothing regarding what accommodation might be made for those of us who have CPOs (as we already have 6 year warranties). I've been informed that the warranty will be extended for CPO owners also, so we have a total of 8 yrs. warranty coverage, up to 100,000 miles. I wish Porsche had extended the mileage limitation beyond 100,000 miles for those of us with CPO cars, since we already had coverage to 100K miles. Still, I'm glad that Porsche will do something for those of us who paid extra for a CPO vehicle. I suppose I and others will soon receive formal notification of the above extension. Thanks to all for the useful info. you are providing in this forum!
Old 02-09-2016 | 08:22 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Well, they do go after our tech industry all the time, right? I smell a conspiracy by the EU too
Old 02-09-2016 | 09:41 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

In today's Wall Street Journal's Energy Journal there are comments relating to VW's postponement of reporting annual results on March 10 due to implications of the cost / charge in the US. The article goes on to state that VW now expects to report 4 to 6 weeks later. To quote the article, "The implication is that the thorny question of VW’s exposure to U.S. legal bills will be closed by mid-April. This seems ambitious."

Additional coverage of further management shake-up at VAG is also noted.

Time flies when you are having fun.

Here's the link, may require a subscription, so apologies if that is the case.
http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2016/..._EnergyJournal
Old 02-09-2016 | 11:22 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gnat
Ahh. Yeah I forget about the Jeep. I wasn't including the pickups as they aren't a new addition to the market like the others (VW and Merc increasing their model range versus BMW which has come in all new but heavy).
the Ram 3.0 is a new addition, and Motor Trend 2015 TOY. I just bought a hemi ram. Would have gotten a diesel if the local dealers spec'd them in anything other than work trucks.
Old 02-09-2016 | 11:23 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

and ford is rumored to be about to release a F150 light duty diesel.
Old 02-09-2016 | 11:58 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Yeah all these diesels that are showing up were birthed during the $100 barrel years. I'd wager US automakers are somewhat regretting their capital outlays for diesel engine manufacturing. It takes a sizeable investment to make new engines. Even the FCA engines coming from europe still have to be federalized making them less profitable than gassers. Now automakers have a harder time getting the same markup they would had gas stayed high. And consumers see less reason for paying a few grand more up front. In the end, however, diesel engines make a lot of sense powering big heavy things.
Old 02-10-2016 | 02:40 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So now it seems that there's an issue with AdBlue heaters not being covered by VW dealers on the 3.0 engines.

If this happens to my CD under the warranty, that'll be the last straw.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201.../#more-1283266
Old 02-10-2016 | 03:29 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
So now it seems that there's an issue with AdBlue heaters not being covered by VW dealers on the 3.0 engines.
The article is being a bit sensationalist with the not covered under warranty bit. In the quoted cases the warranty had expired and while I agree that it should fall under the emissions warranty (I thought that was mandated to 100k, not 80k?) it's not and that is a Federal level thing and not VW specifically.

I do think, however, VW is really putting their foot in it right now by not just comping these fixes. More bad press about expensive repairs and unhappy customer is not doing them any favors.

This also isn't a new issue, though I've always read more in the 75k-125k range.

At least we now have extra warranties if it comes up, but I agree that my plan to keep it long term may be changed if that stuff starts cropping up in the next year or so.
Old 02-10-2016 | 06:47 PM
ddeliber
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gnat
The article is being a bit sensationalist with the not covered under warranty bit. In the quoted cases the warranty had expired and while I agree that it should fall under the emissions warranty (I thought that was mandated to 100k, not 80k?) it's not and that is a Federal level thing and not VW specifically.

I do think, however, VW is really putting their foot in it right now by not just comping these fixes. More bad press about expensive repairs and unhappy customer is not doing them any favors.

This also isn't a new issue, though I've always read more in the 75k-125k range.

At least we now have extra warranties if it comes up, but I agree that my plan to keep it long term may be changed if that stuff starts cropping up in the next year or so.
The big question is why is it not covered by the emissions warranty? I am pretty sure the reason that the mandate is vague is because they can't know all of the components of the emissions system in every car when the law is written. Sure EGR valves and SCR/DPF were known and things like injectors aren't directly tied into emissions so they need to be called out. But there is absolutely no purpose for an SCR heater outside emissions control management. IMO this is VWs impaired judgement on whether to cover not the regulation/mandate and they should be raked over the coals for not doing so.
Old 02-10-2016 | 08:31 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ddeliber
The big question is why is it not covered by the emissions warranty? I am pretty sure the reason that the mandate is vague is because they can't know all of the components of the emissions system in every car when the law is written. Sure EGR valves and SCR/DPF were known and things like injectors aren't directly tied into emissions so they need to be called out. But there is absolutely no purpose for an SCR heater outside emissions control management. IMO this is VWs impaired judgement on whether to cover not the regulation/mandate and they should be raked over the coals for not doing so.
As I said, I think it should be covered too. My understanding, however, is that this is at least partially on the Fed's head. As I understand it the regulation was written a little too specific and didn't leave room for new stuff to automatically be included.

So while VW should cover the parts as they are obviously part of the emissions, they were given a loophole that they are using to squirm out. So not only is it a sleazy move in general, they are compounding it with their timing of holding to that policy in the middle of this mess.
Old 02-10-2016 | 08:46 PM
Rob VN
Banned

The parts that are covered by the emissions warranty are specifically called out in the warranty booklet. The list is not as all encompassing as one would hope.
Old 02-10-2016 | 09:41 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

VW is not the only mfg to weasel out of the emission system warranty.

My Nissan Pathfinder catalytic converter developed a leak. Their warranty states that emission components are covered for 8 years 100K mi. The Nissan dealer informed me that what looks like a catalytic converter is called a Tube which will cost $1200 to replace.

Tube??? okay then I should be able to remove and bypass...WRONG. Visited the local Midas shop who showed me their shop manual that identified the leaking tube as a catalytic converter.

So they just call it something else so its not covered. WTF.
Old 02-11-2016 | 02:05 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRoach
Are there only two likely groups:

1. Those that require the retrofit of HW and SW/Firmware (prior to MY 2013 or 14?)

2. Those that just require SW/Firmware (MY 2013+)?

or is there a third group?
JROACH...almost. 2015+ was said to be in the software/firmware only group. prior to that needs cats AND software from their latest release. See my previous post about 2 pages back on VW's proposed solution sent to the EPA about 7 - 10 days ago.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue