Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 08:15 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
mdrobc1213, you at JBLM?
(or Everett, Bangor/Kitsap, Whidbey or Fairchild?)

More than just one base up here in WA!!
Old 11-20-2016, 09:44 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
mdrobc1213, you at JBLM?
Used to be.
Originally Posted by skiahh
(or Everett, Bangor/Kitsap, Whidbey or Fairchild?)

More than just one base up here in WA!!
Or McChord. Aim Hi! No longer in that area but still serving.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:47 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Used to be.

Or McChord. Aim Hi! No longer in that area but still serving.
McChord is JBLM (Joint Base Lewis McChord). Guess it's been a while, huh?
Old 11-21-2016, 01:32 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

f4plt...know the same dealer and we've met before. Had an 09 C4S launch edition car at the time and was stationed at Lackland AFB. I think sometime the inventory at the SA dealer is affected by its close proximity to the border. Laredo, Tx is less than an hours drive from the border and have been in that dealership many times where a majority of the clientele were dual border folks buying Porsches. Asked my SA and the GM what was up and they said they have alot of folks buying cars who live in Mexico and move their families up north to avoid violence, better schools, etc...and have Mexican passports but their business are south of the border. They then take the cars back across the border for travel and business. Diesels are still heavily used south of the border and gas is cheaper. May explain the Texas CD phenomenon as I remember Texas isn't like WA or Oregon which are considered more "green" and environmental friendly states...like CA. You can't throw a stone in LA without hitting a Volt, Tesla, or Prius!
It really has very little to do with the dealer's location. The ones who have developed a market for Diesels, have the market they have developed.
If they don't / didn't like diesels, they won't offer reasonable trades, or even order them for new stock.
If they like Diesels they have clientele waiting for trade-ins.

I know from personal experience - I have sold the heck out of Diesels, filling a niche that most dealers don't realize exists. As a General Manager of a VW-Porsche-Audi store, we bought every (sound) used diesel we could find in a 1,000 mile radius and they never sat around. We paid well for Diesels and had amazing turn.

THAT's the dealer you are looking for, if you want to trade or sell your CD.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:05 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

We will be happy if we can keep ours too. Custom ordered to spec just like we wanted, so we planned on the long term. If they offer a buyback, we will definitely take it though.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:15 AM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Jalopnik just posted an article about what a cluster the VW buyback process is. Reading the commentary is pretty eye opening about how bad the process appears to be.

Aside from my general annoyance with VW and this whole incident, I wonder what this will mean long term for the Porsche brand in general. It seems like the people running the VW buyback process do not care if they burn their customer base for life. Combine this with a lackluster lineup of cars and *pathetic* dealers, it begs the question for how this will be paid for down the road? I already see my local Porsche dealer turning into the Ford/Chevy lot, loaded with Macans (and a good deal of Cayennes). Porsche is going to end up paying for a lot of this mess...

For the record, I have already spoken with my wallet and skipped out on VAG products until I see how this will end up for me.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

alexaqui, is this the article you are talking about?
http://jalopnik.com/why-volkswagen-t...lga-1789233795
Seems not up to their standards, and the article is more confusing than the process(!)

I didn't know that 2.0 owners could actually file for buyback before the Oct 25th decision (other than filing to be in line).
Don't forget that the Court, as well as EPA and CARB, have added to the delay (perhaps caused it?).
And of course the Gag Order prevents VW from communicating anything.
First of it's kind - so we are all learning just how complicated this can be. Other manufacturers will soon enter the same process, as the inquisition fans out.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:46 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a guy on this VW forum http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99 going tomorrow the 23rd to the dealer to turn in his car. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=469718
Old 11-23-2016, 01:11 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Searcher356
It really has very little to do with the dealer's location. The ones who have developed a market for Diesels, have the market they have developed.
If they don't / didn't like diesels, they won't offer reasonable trades, or even order them for new stock.
If they like Diesels they have clientele waiting for trade-ins.

I know from personal experience - I have sold the heck out of Diesels, filling a niche that most dealers don't realize exists. As a General Manager of a VW-Porsche-Audi store, we bought every (sound) used diesel we could find in a 1,000 mile radius and they never sat around. We paid well for Diesels and had amazing turn.

THAT's the dealer you are looking for, if you want to trade or sell your CD.
Thanks for the updated info and perspective...hope it is so for those CD owners.
Originally Posted by TAch Miami
There is a guy on this VW forum http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99 going tomorrow the 23rd to the dealer to turn in his car. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=469718

http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...n=awdailydrive

VW must see this as a never ending story almost as I don't see how they get this settled anytime soon in a manner that satisfies everyone and without losing some or even a significant portion of their customer base. Too many good alternatives out there to feel like customers don't have options out there IMHO.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:35 PM
RickDC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/vo...uotes-details/

Finally ending over a year’s worth of speculation, Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess has confirmed the brand will never again offer a diesel-powered car in the United States. The company isn’t allowed to sell oil-burning engines here, but many believed it would give the technology another shot in a couple of years’ time.

Instead, Volkswagen is putting an unprecedented focus on electrification.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:51 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Well wonder what that little bit of information will do to the market value of their cars! All the VW/Audi/Porsche diesels just became dinosaurs model wise to some point! Got it that there is a market for the CD among some buyers as a few here have shown..but my question is how long will that last especially in an economy and among a brand where consistently desire the best and most recent release (these are luxury items not mere transportation from A to B) despite the sensibility of the purchase. There are some who buy the newest just to purchase/have it even if they already have an adequate vehicle...so I just wonder how long that "shine" and allure will last for the CD and other VW diesels now that they're confirmed to be essentially gray market vehicles to a degree and no longer for the US market.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:01 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Well wonder what that little bit of information will do to the market value of their cars! All the VW/Audi/Porsche diesels just became dinosaurs model wise to some point! Got it that there is a market for the CD among some buyers as a few here have shown..but my question is how long will that last especially in an economy and among a brand where consistently desire the best and most recent release (these are luxury items not mere transportation from A to B) despite the sensibility of the purchase. There are some who buy the newest just to purchase/have it even if they already have an adequate vehicle...so I just wonder how long that "shine" and allure will last for the CD and other VW diesels now that they're confirmed to be essentially gray market vehicles to a degree and no longer for the US market.
We will become the W123 diesels of the 21st century. Just enjoy our special status in the history of automobiles. One of these days, well-kept 958 CDs may start raising in prices at auction houses (specially when the combustion engine is gone to heaven).
Old 11-24-2016, 12:13 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Two things. The article says Audi may still power the Q7 with a diesel. That means Porsche could also opt to do so, too. There won't ever be a VW branded diesel again, but if Audi, why not Porsche? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to put money into maintaining certification for the engine in one car, does it?

Second, given the popularity of the older Cayennes, I suspect there will always be a market for the 958... gas and diesel. But, only time will tell on that one!
Old 11-24-2016, 01:25 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Never a VW diesel again. That is, unless there is. They need to say this to satisfy the regulators who demand the shift to electrics. Until, they, too, change their minds.
If there is a continued push for limiting CO2, diesel has the advantage. If you take into consideration the CO2 emissions, from cradle to the grave, of electrics, diesels may have the advantage there, too.
Unless things change there, too.

I.E., who knows?
Old 11-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Searcher356
Never a VW diesel again. That is, unless there is. They need to say this to satisfy the regulators who demand the shift to electrics. Until, they, too, change their minds.
If there is a continued push for limiting CO2, diesel has the advantage. If you take into consideration the CO2 emissions, from cradle to the grave, of electrics, diesels may have the advantage there, too.
Unless things change there, too.

I.E., who knows?
The only constant is change...

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue