Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016 | 04:46 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by endless_corners
DPF/DEF/CAT delete and a remap will net a solid gain in power and fuel economy.
I bet we'd see 40 mpg highway.
Old 02-02-2016 | 04:56 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

It would also remove a liability from the car. Spraying fuel down into a thinger and "burning" **** off every X duty cycles is not really something I would want on my car. I understand of course that this mod would make the car more polluting especially at WOT. However, I often wonder how emissions NET out without that gear. Does it actually come out ahead and pollute less overall do to less fuel being consumed? Laws and regulations are rarely logical.
Old 02-02-2016 | 05:27 PM
JRoach
Racer

We bought the service package for $4k (or something like that). Ran the numbers and at the time it saved us $500+. Maybe this should be something they offer current diesel owners. Not certain it helps everybody.

I'm a bit miffed that our tax dollars, used to monitor stuff like this is letting us pass the smog test. Maybe a better approach would be to issue a temp sticker and make us come back for a final after the fix is applied. I'm sure I'll get some replies for this idea.
Old 02-03-2016 | 12:14 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Ok, so I know what a cat delete is, and I know what DEF is, but what is the DPF mentioned?
Old 02-03-2016 | 12:23 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MJG911
Ok, so I know what a cat delete is, and I know what DEF is, but what is the DPF mentioned?
One is the AdBlue system and the other is the filter we keep talking about when it has to dump gas into the motor to heat it up enough to burn off the bad stuff periodically. I always get them backwards, but I think they are DPF and DEF respectively.
Old 02-03-2016 | 02:08 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Diesel Particulate Filter.
Old 02-03-2016 | 03:21 PM
abatis
Instructor

dpf delete for Cayenne. I live in Montana, no smogs etc. However, driving a delete on the highway would be a clear federal violation if caught, I think a $10K fine. However, I see plenty of newer diesel pickups up here blasting by with smoking tail pipes. You know they have done the deletes. I know from checking on the delete for my F350 that you have to have a chip that fakes engine info to the ECU to keep the engine from going into safe mode. I wonder if the Cayenne delete needs some ECU programming changes?

http://www.fixmyvw.com/dpf-delete-fo...iesel-buzzken/
Old 02-03-2016 | 03:28 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Pretty much any DPF delete is going to need a matching ecu tune. The reason makes sense when you think about how the DPF works. All of a sudden there is hardware missing and the ecu will detect a fault. Also, because the engine is breathing better a tune can take advantage of that and you'll want updated maps anyway.

As long as you are running enough boost and not crazy over fueling there isn't going to be any rolling coal going on. You would really have to get aggressive with upsized injectors and big turbos to do that on a 3.0L vag tdi.

Stock injectors and turbo and a DPF delete will still net solid hp and torque gains while improving fuel economy under normal driving.

Clubtoureg thread on this subject.
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f9...s/82534?page=7

Last edited by endless_corners; 02-03-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2016 | 03:49 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Don't know why you guys are so keen on defeating emission controls. First world problems, I guess.

Anyone has heard about what proposals Audi submitted yesterday. It is all quiet.
Old 02-03-2016 | 03:56 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Because we hate the planet and we want more power. Duh.
Old 02-03-2016 | 03:57 PM
mkptlb
Banned

Looks like CARB has 20 days to reply.

http://en.europeonline-magazine.eu/a...or_436708.html
New York (dpa) - Volkswagen‘s sister company Audi has met a deadline to submit a plan to US environmental regulators to rectify illegal emissions software in 85,000 of its diesel vehicles, the company said Tuesday.

"We have filed the plans by the deadline," a company spokesman confirmed, thereby meeting a midnight cutoff laid out by the California Air Resources Board (CARB).

CARB said it would soon release a statement confirming the submission. The regulator now has 20 business days to review Audi‘s proposals.

A variety of Audi models, as well as VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne vehicles, carrying the Audi-developed 3.0-liter diesel engines must be retrofitted because they contain exhaust software that is illegal in the US.

Volkswagen, which owns Audi and Porsche, admitted in September that since 2009 it had sold 600,000 diesel vehicles in the US with the so-called "defeat device" to trick emissions tests. Of the affected vehicles, 480,000 were equipped with 2.0-litre engines built by VW.

US authorities in January rejected VW‘s initial recall plan for those models, and the company may be faced with buying back 100,000 vehicles. Worldwide more than 11 million diesel VW-produced are affected.
Old 02-03-2016 | 05:24 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Because we hate the planet and we want more power. Duh.
I don't hate the planet. I just may not care much for the dominant mammalian species

One could argue that all this emissions stuff is probably net neutral and possibly even net negative compared to not having it.

It costs (energy and pollution) to manufacture the parts. It costs to transport the parts for assembly. The extra weight reduces the power/weight ratio which means it needs to use more fuel. The particulate filter requires significant amounts of fuel for it's regenerative cycle which will occur many times over the car's life. There is a cost to making and transporting the AdBlue. These systems have been shown to not last as long as the motor so there is waste in tossing the old parts as well as the costs of making and transporting the new.

I specifically don't want a black and oily rear end so I'd probably never pull all that stuff, but I don't think doing so is nearly as bad as they would like you to believe.

Now those redneck "smokers" are a different story. Quite apart from the possible environmental/health impacts they pose a significant threat to the public when they stomp it and make it impossible for the traffic around them to see.
Old 02-03-2016 | 06:05 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

It was a joke gnat. I didn't think any of us hated the planet. I like you am not convinced that all these fuel economy worsening emissions devices actually make the vehicles pollute less since more fuel is burned per mile. Not only does the DPF require fuel sprayed into it to burn out the crap but it doesnt allow the engine to breathe as well which also reduces fuel economy. Without a dpf and with enough boost you should be able to avoid an overly black rear end. The rolling coal boys are simply over-fueling and not running enough boost to burn up the fuel. It's pretty dumb because ultimately they are leaving power on the table by spewing unburned fuel out the backside (or stacks).

Also, the DPF is one of the main reasons modern diesel engines can't run very high concentrations of biodiesel.

My '02 jetta tdi was super fun to mod because it didnt have nearly as complicated a fuel pump nor dpf. Pre-2007 tdi's are really easy to tune and there are a ton of aftermarket tuning parts to be had. Just look at kermatdi for example. So many nozzles and turbos and other go fast parts. I ran B100 made from refined waste fryer grease and car made double stock power.
Old 02-03-2016 | 07:00 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

It was a joke gnat.
The at the end of the statement was a hint to my seriousness

Also, the DPF is one of the main reasons modern diesel engines can't run very high concentrations of biodiesel.
Interesting. I've always seen it blamed on the tighter tolerances of the more modern motors. Specifically the injectors.
Old 02-03-2016 | 07:06 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I missed your hating the dominant mammal part or it would have been obvious. Sometimes I read too fast for my own good.

It funks up the DPF and I think it's the high pressure fuel pump more than injectors. Namely the bioD eating at the seals combined with such high pressures. They could easily engineer a solution on that end but there is no helping the DPF side of the equation.

I am reading up on it and it looks like the current injection method is partially to blame too.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue