Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 07:55 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah this is kinda like the Oldsmobile fiasco all over again. The woes of that engine set diesel adoption back 20 years. I think ICE's will be getting fazed out before perceptions can bounce back. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Speaking of bimmer diesels.. Anybody notice used 335d's creeping under the $20k mark on the regular; on the used market? That is a have your cake and eat it too type value — especially with some mods and sport package.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:12 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Heh. Somewhere in the last 40 pages I believe I said VW wouldn't be alone in the fallout from this mess. Took longer than I expected to start seeing others get hit.

I think at this point even if someone can come out with their nose clean (BMW?) they are still going to lose overall as I still think this is going to have a long lasting impact on diesel sales in the US.

So Europe must be lousy with health and respiratory problems then. Oh. Wait. Even though they use more diesel cars and don't have as strict regs, they have a smaller occurrence of lung disease than the US...
Mediterranean diet maybe? Yes tons more diesels in the EU and more lax laws agree. Agree this will not be good for the future expansion of diesels in the US which is why I can't see them bringing the Macan diesel or Panamera diesel here anytime soon. Not that much market share to gain I don't think.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:23 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone seen this?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle28813538/
Old 02-20-2016, 01:24 PM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

URL got truncated. Mercedes being sued for allegedly the same type of diesel violation.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:46 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmack2012
URL got truncated. Mercedes being sued for allegedly the same type of diesel violation.
Ain't life grand...crazy at first it was only the VW/Audi/Porsches now looks like there are others affected. Won't be good for the future market for these cars! I can see a long come back if any for these vehicles given the nature of the American market....and fickle consumers. I just don't think this will blow away in a few months after the fix is released if ever.

Looks also like Mercedes has a new engine in town about to drop for their diesels. Wonder if they knew and had this one waiting in the wings or knew about the emissions problems?

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mercede...nl&date=020316

On another note just replaced the tips on my wife's Cayenne v6 (which we got instead of the diesel) for a set of sport black tips (thanks Porsche Suncoast). Super easy and nice upgrade in looks. Would have gotten PSE thrown in like on my Cayman S but she's not into the loud button all that much. Ride, space, comfort, looks, and her main concerns along with SAT-NaV and Sat Radio! Lol

Before install.

OEM single tips.

Black sport tips on!😎

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 02-21-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:20 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tmack2012
Maybe that's why they just released news of this new engine!

Old 02-21-2016, 11:43 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
So Europe must be lousy with health and respiratory problems then. Oh. Wait. Even though they use more diesel cars and don't have as strict regs, they have a smaller occurrence of lung disease than the US...
Not to mention that there are many more smokers there than here.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:03 AM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213

Ain't life grand...crazy at first it was only the VW/Audi/Porsches now looks like there are others affected. Won't be good for the future market for these cars! I can see a long come back if any for these vehicles given the nature of the American market....and fickle consumers. I just don't think this will blow away in a few months after the fix is released if ever.

Looks also like Mercedes has a new engine in town about to drop for their diesels. Wonder if they knew and had this one waiting in the wings or knew about the emissions problems?

On another note just replaced the tips on my wife's Cayenne v6 (which we got instead of the diesel) for a set of sport black tips (thanks Porsche Suncoast). Super easy and nice upgrade in looks. Would have gotten PSE thrown in like on my Cayman S but she's not into the loud button all that much. Ride, space, comfort, looks, and her main concerns along with SAT-NaV and Sat Radio! Lol

Before install.

OEM single tips.

Black sport tips on!😎

The Tips looks most excellent
Old 02-22-2016, 08:00 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Not directly related, but not good for VAG none the less:

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
In other general VW news, we now see how a focus on money, not cars, is getting Porsche's Wiededking in trouble.
Possible jail time, included:

Originally Posted by Jail Time Urged in VW Takeover Case - WSJ
Prosecutors seek prison sentence for two former top Porsche executives
http://www.wsj.com/articles/jail-tim...ase-1455826033

STUTTGART—German prosecutors on Thursday urged a regional court to fine Porsche SE €807 million ($895.7 million) and sentence two former top executives to more than two years in prison each for allegedly lying to investors during their aborted 2008 take over of rival car maker Volkswagen AG...
Old 02-23-2016, 01:53 PM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo gnat and co., when do you think we'll be getting some more communication on a potential fix? My 14 is running sweet but is it worthless to everyone but me? A customer resolution should take precedent over all this legal jargon in a fairy tail land.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:52 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by billyg
Yo gnat and co., when do you think we'll be getting some more communication on a potential fix? My 14 is running sweet but is it worthless to everyone but me? A customer resolution should take precedent over all this legal jargon in a fairy tail land.
Proposed fix is with the Feds and CARB now and has been for about 2 weeks. They rejected fix #1 and with the lawsuit pending still and fines may likely do the same with this one. My friends at various dealership still say no more CDs for 2016 and big ? For 2017 until maybe new 2018 model is released. MB new implicated diesel will hurt and likely slow the process more possibly. Given that there are more VWs and Audis affects, I am hearing that we should see a fix for them first prior to our Porsche's! Wouldn't hold my breath unfortunately.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:09 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The Beanster
I hate to ask questions that might be answered somewhere deep in this thread... and I did look through 20 pages but here goes...

I got a letter from PCNA stating that my factory warranty was extended by a "limited two year warranty" but even the service adviser at the dealership doesn't know what a limited warranty actually is. I tried contacting P through their website but the page doesnt send the message... just hangs there and does nothing.

So what are we Cayenne diesel owners supposed to do now other than wait for a fix for our supposedly-worthless vehicles? I'm sure there will be several class action lawsuits attempted but is any one really joining these things? And just how worthless will our vehicles be? The car still runs great (other than the fact that my CD has a symphony of rattles depending on the outside temperature), fuel is cheap, and mileage is incredible.
My suggestion is to call PCNA by telephone. That's what I did. They will take your call and try to answer your questions as best they can, but realize they don't have all the answers yet. Still too much uncertainty. If you are not satisfied with the responses, ask them to start a case number for you, they will. Then when you call them again you can refer to the case number and pick up the discussion where you left off. It may or may not help, but at least you can talk to someone in real time.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Class action suit filed today in CA. 200 owners represented according to the news clip. VW could go broke over this I suspect. It is about to get ugly.
Owning a car that you cannot trade or sell (maybe cheap) is new territory.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:52 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Major corporations are quite adept at the litigation wriggle game. I wouldnt count them out. Look at BP and its ENORMOUS oil gusher in the gulf of mexico.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:10 PM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could VW file chapter 11, 7 or whatever to circumvent paying billions?

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue