Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016 | 05:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dbltime
I am surprised by the number of posters here who have the attitude my car runs great blah blah ships and planes pollute blah blah Trumpish bull****
I was sold a 75K car under false specs. Porsche, VW screwed the consumer.
I hope the VW group is forced into receivership
bullsh!t. car performs as well now as the day you got it. I can 100% bet you did NOT buy it because of it's emissions ratings or eco friendly specifications. I You would have bought a Pious, a Tesla or some other eco-friendly vehicle.

The CD is a kick-*** truck. Love it. Tows great, good economy, good space, handles well, nice ride. That hasn't changed.

Once they announce a fix to this issue, I evaluate if my perception of value has changed. That day is not here. Lots of other things to worry about. This is not one of them.
Old 03-16-2016 | 06:34 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Spyerx
bullsh!t. car performs as well now as the day you got it. I can 100% bet you did NOT buy it because of it's emissions ratings or eco friendly specifications. I You would have bought a Pious, a Tesla or some other eco-friendly vehicle.

The CD is a kick-*** truck. Love it. Tows great, good economy, good space, handles well, nice ride. That hasn't changed.

Once they announce a fix to this issue, I evaluate if my perception of value has changed. That day is not here. Lots of other things to worry about. This is not one of them.
agree as my wife and I have nothing but good things to say about our Diesel Cayennes, yes plural
Old 03-16-2016 | 08:52 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dbltime
I am surprised by the number of posters here who have the attitude my car runs great blah blah ships and planes pollute blah blah Trumpish bull****
I was sold a 75K car under false specs. Porsche, VW screwed the consumer.
I hope the VW group is forced into receivership
Good for you bud. I hope you don't drive a car. The amount that they pollute at 40x the limit is still an extremely small number. US emissions policies have been geared towards discouraging diesel light vehicle use in favor of prioritizing heavy duty vehicles and exporting surplus fuel to Europe. Emissions laws have been tuned for decades just outside the reach of profitability of manufacturers using current technology. This has help discourage the mass adoption of diesel here. This is a very politically charged case under the guise of extremely trumped up pseudo "environmental damage" claims. I think people are downplaying the pollution aspect because it is not a significant increase. I get that VW lied and that they need to be made an example. No domestic automaker would be receiving the level of vitriol and contempt they are though. Again — any number multiplied by an extremely small number is still a small number. As they stand - the 3.0L diesels just aren't that dirty. There is still barely anything coming out. Maybe stay off the forums when you're on the rag.
Old 03-16-2016 | 10:04 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Good for you bud. I hope you don't drive a car. The amount that they pollute at 40x the limit is still an extremely small number. US emissions policies have been geared towards discouraging diesel light vehicle use in favor of prioritizing heavy duty vehicles and exporting surplus fuel to Europe. Emissions laws have been tuned for decades just outside the reach of profitability of manufacturers using current technology. This has help discourage the mass adoption of diesel here. This is a very politically charged case under the guise of extremely trumped up pseudo "environmental damage" claims. I think people are downplaying the pollution aspect because it is not a significant increase. I get that VW lied and that they need to be made an example. No domestic automaker would be receiving the level of vitriol and contempt they are though. Again — any number multiplied by an extremely small number is still a small number. As they stand - the 3.0L diesels just aren't that dirty. There is still barely anything coming out. Maybe stay off the forums when you're on the rag.
Frankly, as the CD burns just about half the fuel (by volume) of a comparable SUV, it's impossible for me to believe that in it's current configuration it's worse for the environment than the gas powered vehicles. I compared the diesel to the CS, and didn't think I was missing anything (except that terrific V8 roar) buy buying the CD. Not happy that VW gamed the system, but shows you that those of us who selected the diesel uncovered a better performing machine (perhaps due to non-compliance).

After 2.5 years and 19,000 miles, it continues to impress me after every drive.
Old 03-17-2016 | 01:44 AM
fincher
Racer

X2 on diesel. I have a 2012 Touareg Exec TDI. 81k and runs (and looks) like new. All good points above...VW is getting screwed (earned) but it is way overdone.

The sad thing is I was ready for a 2017 or 2018 Macan diesel.
Old 03-17-2016 | 03:25 AM
B.Kish
Rennlist Member

Despite what another poster had said about them sitting on lots, that's not necessarily the case. As I said before, dealers are selling them. They're posted on Porsche's own car locator on their website in addition to eBay, Cars.com and Autotrader. Many were turned into loaners. And most of those were titled. Now they're selling them as used. Some are selling them outright, some are selling them through sister dealerships.

Case in point, we'd been looking since before the news broke and continued after. The supply dried up for a while, then cars came on the market. Inventory is turning for well priced cars (14's and 15's). We had a few slip through our hands. In the end, we recently bought a 2015 service loaner from a dealer with 5k miles for almost $20K under list warrantied into mid 2021 (verified by a call to PCNA). Did we take a chance? Yes. But the car is great. No regrets.... so far anyway.
Old 03-17-2016 | 03:28 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fincher
X2 on diesel. I have a 2012 Touareg Exec TDI. 81k and runs (and looks) like new. All good points above...VW is getting screwed (earned) but it is way overdone.

The sad thing is I was ready for a 2017 or 2018 Macan diesel.
Macan diesel is the new unicorn.
Old 03-17-2016 | 03:51 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by B.Kish
Despite what another poster had said about them sitting on lots, that's not necessarily the case. As I said before, dealers are selling them. They're posted on Porsche's own car locator on their website in addition to eBay, Cars.com and Autotrader. Many were turned into loaners. And most of those were titled. Now they're selling them as used. Some are selling them outright, some are selling them through sister dealerships.

Case in point, we'd been looking since before the news broke and continued after. The supply dried up for a while, then cars came on the market. Inventory is turning for well priced cars (14's and 15's). We had a few slip through our hands. In the end, we recently bought a 2015 service loaner from a dealer with 5k miles for almost $20K under list warrantied into mid 2021 (verified by a call to PCNA). Did we take a chance? Yes. But the car is great. No regrets.... so far anyway.
That's great only problem is kinda in what you mention. Dealers aren't really selling them outright as new but going thru various means to get around the stop sale and sell the cars as used, loaners, thru non-Porsche dealers, etc versus buying the car from the dealer with all original warranties and performance promises intact. Yes the additional warranty you have goes thru 2021 but you cannot say that you fully know or understand the risk involved in your purchase as so much as nobody...even Porsche can know what VW will eventually offer affected customers or how the various other entities (i.e. EPA, Justice, and CARB) will act. A settlement may occur which is well accepted by all owners and doesn't affect the cars and the performance that owners all love and want but no one can be certain of that and that is part of the problem here. Buying the cars now as it means taking a risk to some degree in multiple areas. Some are willing to do so and enjoy the current performance others are not. The fix could come down and be nothing while it could mean reduced performance and mandatory recalls with registration implications in various states. Worst case but not totally out of the question. One just doesn't know and it is hard to predict. Porsche has removed the car from production (at least for the US) thru 2016 and possibly what looks like 2017 model year possibly if you look at their current production model (just in time ordering and build) as well as the need to certify any new design. Add VW's woes in trying to accommodate the remaining VW/Audi diesel owners ...who compose the majority of those affected by this scandal and engines...It is a mess as most agree.

So yes its a great vehicle...ordered one and wish all this never happened but to some getting one now is a bigger unknown nd chance that just doesn't seem a feasible choice. But I don't think anyone would disagree that getting one now does require accepting a lot of unknowns and some possbilve significant downsides in the future and lots of unkownns which none of us as buyers can control! With that I passed on our unaquirable 2016 Cayenne Diesel which is now no longer STILL at port last my dealer checked last week and now listed as status unknown!
Old 03-17-2016 | 08:55 AM
fincher
Racer

Macan diesel is the new unicorn.
Sadly, yes.
Old 03-17-2016 | 12:11 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Yup. I believe Macan diesel was supposed to be the base car. Now it is the 4 cylinder Audi engine.
Old 03-17-2016 | 01:44 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

It's really a shame because having the 3.0 tdi in the much lighter macan would have been an amazing combo. Hard to think of that setup as even being a "base model". Know what I mean?
Old 03-17-2016 | 01:49 PM
fincher
Racer

It's really a shame because having the 3.0 tdi in the much lighter macan would have been an amazing combo. Hard to think of that setup as even being a "base model". Know what I mean?
X2!!! Even better than the base V6.
Old 03-17-2016 | 06:23 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Very Well said Endless_Corners.

Fyi, in Europe we hear many rumors that VW was so well positioned to supply a lot of cars in the China market, that this would well explain such very dirty politic shot, i.e.: a penalty that is totally over any logic.
Old 03-17-2016 | 08:08 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

I wonder what would happen to VW executives if VW was found cheating in China. Would the Chinese authorities be as kind as us?

But there is some truth about how nations behave. The EU will find any excuse to fine our high tech industry. Maybe this is a way to even the trade wars.
Old 03-18-2016 | 09:20 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

^This^

Unfortunately it all comes down to politics. EU was quick to grant a fix! US is doing everything they can to protect their own car industry.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue