Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:50 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It sucks to be in limbo land now for so long, without a clear path forward. Porsche's communications department should be fired. Sadly they are riding on engineering right now, creating cars that people want (for now). If I treated my clients this way they would be long gone. I admit I am part of the problem as I am considering adding a Macan... I have not pulled the trigger yet because I am a bit annoyed at this whole process and feel that I will just supporting deliberately criminal behavior, massive corporate arrogance, and terrible, terrible marketing/customer relationship management.

Just for the record, several family members with Mercedes have been offered some significant $ to come trade their Takata airbag affected cars in for a newer model. That's just a minor issue relative to this.

Last edited by alexaqui; 08-27-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:20 AM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexaqui
Takata airbag affected cars in for a newer model. That's just a minor issue relative to this.

I wasn't going to post in this thread but this comment is nuts. The airbag is not a minor issue compared to this. The airbag has the actual potential to kill you. This BS with the diesel is all about money. No one is going to die from the diesel issue
Old 08-28-2016, 11:30 AM
illtww
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So has anyone used this to their advantage working with the dealers on getting a used CD at a steep discount? I have talked to a few. They act like business as usual...
Old 08-28-2016, 11:50 AM
Meinbeast
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by illtww
So has anyone used this to their advantage working with the dealers on getting a used CD at a steep discount? I have talked to a few. They act like business as usual...
I did. We picked up a 2014 CD Platinum edition with additional options that had a $71k original sticker price for $43k. It only has 27k miles too. I am happy with the deal we got, most listing are in the high 40 low 50's without all the options we have. I leveraged Dieselgate and the uncertainty in negotiations at a non Porsche Dealer.

We looked at all the other diesel offerings and the Cayenne was without question the right car for us. I knew about Dieselgate prior to making the purchase and even created a thread asking the question am I making a mistake buying a CD now. Even with a fix to be compliant it will still get better mileage than an gasser and have more torque.

This is the best family vehicle we have owned and have been glad we made the jump.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:13 PM
illtww
Track Day

Right on!

I got my eye on one that is listed at 49k Sticker was 75k. 2014 Diesel Similar Mileage. If I can snag it for 42-43 I would be happy. They bought it at auction... Guessing they paid high 30's low 40's..
Old 08-28-2016, 02:28 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I paid $38K out the door for a '13 CD with 52K miles in June. Love the car. $72K MSRP.

However, I really don't see a "low" price for these cars. You can find similar pricing with Cayenne S.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:17 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Isn't that funny? While current owners are not happy about the effect on pre-owned values, there are people who are searching for a great deal. VW you have distorted the market
Old 08-28-2016, 07:03 PM
solrac6262
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by illtww

great example, now the current owners are the affected ones, of course Porsche is going to act like nothing, I was at the dealer a month ago and I asked the Service Manager about the issue, he told me not to worry they probably had to some minor tweaks, then last week my mom told me about the 2.0 cars
Old 08-28-2016, 07:04 PM
illtww
Track Day

im pretty sure what is funnier will be finding affordable parts for these cars later on down the line... since vw/Porsche will say F the US.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:31 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tigger1197
I wasn't going to post in this thread but this comment is nuts. The airbag is not a minor issue compared to this. The airbag has the actual potential to kill you. This BS with the diesel is all about money. No one is going to die from the diesel issue
You miss the point. MB and the rest didn't actually intend to have a problem. They are being pretty proactive and offering decent incentives to people for a problem that could take years to be a real problem. Sure, they are also cheating by "fixing" the cars with just new version of the same flawed design.

Crickets from Porsche so far. Porsche did this on purpose and I am currently bearing the financial impact. You sound like my PCA friends who claim Porsche's never need repairs/never break and then forget the $$$$$ they pump into their cars. LOL.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:47 PM
docdent
Advanced

Originally Posted by alexaqui
You miss the point. MB and the rest didn't actually intend to have a problem. They are being pretty proactive and offering decent incentives to people for a problem that could take years to be a real problem. Sure, they are also cheating by "fixing" the cars with just new version of the same flawed design.

Crickets from Porsche so far. Porsche did this on purpose and I am currently bearing the financial impact. You sound like my PCA friends who claim Porsche's never need repairs/never break and then forget the $$$$$ they pump into their cars. LOL.
I agree with you. VW marketed their diesel vehicles as "clean diesel". Of course all along they knew it was a lie.

Last edited by docdent; 08-28-2016 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 08-29-2016, 09:42 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,195 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by docdent
I agree with you. VW marketed their diesel vehicles as "clean diesel". Of course all along they knew it was a lie.
Personally I couldn't give a crap about "clean" diesel. Anyone who is all wadded up over that should've gotten a hybrid or electric to begin with. This phony outrage all over these boards is just another example of how ridiculous our society has become. Boo freaking hoo. You take a risk buying a car, nobody has any clue what resale value will be down the road.

Not trying to be a Porsche fanboy, they screwed up. But everyone here crying about resale and buyback and pollution is just trying to be opportunistic in an effort to get a new car.

As someone who drives a lot of miles, I wanted the mpg and the long travel range between fills. So far I'm thrilled. I'll be upset if they try to take my CD away!

NSShadow {0, -1} color = {(null)}
Old 08-29-2016, 12:18 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by disden
Not trying to be a Porsche fanboy, they screwed up. But everyone here crying about resale and buyback and pollution is just trying to be opportunistic in an effort to get a new car.
Agree! Spot-on analysis. Whatever happens, owners will be compensated in one form or another, whether it's a fix or buyback (doubt it will be a buyback).
Old 08-29-2016, 12:46 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I did believe in the clean diesel stuff. Originally, I was waiting for the diesel in the Grand Cherokee instead of getting the good old boy V8 hemi. Should have waiting a bit longer and would have avoided all this drama.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:27 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fincher
Agree! Spot-on analysis. Whatever happens, owners will be compensated in one form or another, whether it's a fix, buyback (doubt it will be a buyback), or result of a lawsuit.
Fixed that for you

I expect it will be a combination of all 3 actually. Count me in the group that is not interested in having any fix applied that will change the car. Based on the 2.0 plan I won't be satisfied with their buyback offer. I'm still waiting to see how it plays out before looking at the lawsuit path since that will make lawyers more whole than it will me.

Originally I thought the idea of a buy back was just a pipe dream, but I think it is more likely now. EPA/CARB continue to stonewall VAG's proposals at a fix (not going into if that is right or wrong) and with all the other pressure on them, a buyback would be the simple approach for them.

I also don't think we've heard the last of the 2.0 issue either. I have a feeling that when the deadline for them having an approved fix comes up we'll find that there still isn't an approved one and the judge will throw a conniption. That will also complicate the 3.0 mess and further make a buyback an easier option for them.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue