Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016 | 01:13 PM
fincher
Racer

VW has been replacing AdBlue heaters at no charge out of goodwill. Yes, the heater and the AdBlue components should be considered as part of emissions. Given the current climate, VW is ignoring the loophole it previously used to avoid covering it.

As for compensation, in addition to the gift cards, there is 3 years roadside assistance.

Aside from all that, I don't care too much about dieselgate. I have 80k on a 2102 Touareg TDI. Best damn vehicle I've owned. Was thisclose to getting a 2013 CD. Going to wait to see how this all shakes out.
Old 02-11-2016 | 01:30 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Just a side comment - it was in our local paper the other day that one of the VW dealers - a bigger one - simply put up a sign on their door thanking their customers for their business, and stating they were permanently closed. Owned by a large chain of dealerships (about 150 dealerships total).

Just like that - poof - gone.

Wonder if that was the result of paying floor-plan on all the unsold diesels sitting in their parking lot..?
Old 02-11-2016 | 02:05 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Wonder if that was the result of paying floor-plan on all the unsold diesels sitting in their parking lot..?
Probably a combination of things.

At a minimum they are having to pay to store any diesel stock somewhere (either taking up space on their lot or they've moved them to another location).

They may also still have loans against them that they are having to pay with no hope of getting them off the books (e.g. selling them).

Even taking diesels out of the equation (which was their best seller apparently) VW sales on gas cars are down too. Less sales = less income.

Less income plus increased costs makes it hard to keep the lights on.
Old 02-11-2016 | 03:26 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

VW has a very stale product line.
Old 02-12-2016 | 10:47 AM
JWLindsey
Track Day

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
So now it seems that there's an issue with AdBlue heaters not being covered by VW dealers on the 3.0 engines.

If this happens to my CD under the warranty, that'll be the last straw.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201.../#more-1283266
Both of our 2013 CD's had their tank heaters fail within a few weeks of each other at around 35k miles a few months ago. Porsche replaced them on their dime without batting an eyelash so I wouldn't be too worried. Interestingly neither of the CD's had seen temperatures below 25 degrees so I bet the heaters had never even turned on in their lifespan. Our service manager mentioned he had been seeing quite a few of these and that there was an updated part number so I imagine this won't be a problem for most of us.
Old 02-12-2016 | 03:39 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JWLindsey
Both of our 2013 CD's had their tank heaters fail within a few weeks of each other at around 35k miles a few months ago. Porsche replaced them on their dime without batting an eyelash so I wouldn't be too worried. Interestingly neither of the CD's had seen temperatures below 25 degrees so I bet the heaters had never even turned on in their lifespan. Our service manager mentioned he had been seeing quite a few of these and that there was an updated part number so I imagine this won't be a problem for most of us.
Good to know.
Old 02-12-2016 | 05:13 PM
JRoach
Racer

mdrobc1213, thanks.

Curious of peoples opinion on this board about putting the effected CD's into service as loaners. Is that the best move from a PR POV?

Are the cars considered "sold" even if its to the dealer? They would be sold later as used. Any dealers that can explain this? Maybe a brokers license or something where they never have to take title therefore they are never sold.
Old 02-12-2016 | 05:15 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just a side comment - it was in our local paper the other day that one of the VW dealers - a bigger one - simply put up a sign on their door thanking their customers for their business, and stating they were permanently closed. Owned by a large chain of dealerships (about 150 dealerships total).

Just like that - poof - gone.

Originally Posted by gnat
Probably a combination of things.

At a minimum they are having to pay to store any diesel stock somewhere (either taking up space on their lot or they've moved them to another location).

They may also still have loans against them that they are having to pay with no hope of getting them off the books (e.g. selling them).

Even taking diesels out of the equation (which was their best seller apparently) VW sales on gas cars are down too. Less sales = less income.

Less income plus increased costs makes it hard to keep the lights on.
I feel for the dealers that are the old combined dealership-Porsche/Audi/VW, some of these are smaller family owned and it has to hurt the cash flow.
Old 02-13-2016 | 03:19 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRoach
mdrobc1213, thanks.

Curious of peoples opinion on this board about putting the effected CD's into service as loaners. Is that the best move from a PR POV?

Are the cars considered "sold" even if its to the dealer? They would be sold later as used. Any dealers that can explain this? Maybe a brokers license or something where they never have to take title therefore they are never sold.
No problem.
Well I spoke to our sales guy and he said its easier to take their v6 Cayenne loaners they had and put them up on the CPO lot and sell them and move a good portion if not most of their CD's into the loaner pool since they can't sell them but are still paying on them to the bank. Stop sale doesn't say they can't be used on the road as GNAT says and others. So they can slap dealer plates on them and push them out to loaners and probably roll over their current loaner fleet and at least stay above water on their losses due to warehoused Cayenne diesels that they had inventory! Makes sense.
Old 02-13-2016 | 10:42 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Stop sale doesn't say they can't be used on the road as GNAT says and others.
I suspect it might be a wording issue, but I read that sentence as that I said they couldn't do anything with those CDs. I haven't, however, made such a claim.

It seems that many (all?) dealers are doing the same thing and at least getting some value out of them by not paying for them AND a separate loaner fleet.
Old 02-13-2016 | 06:09 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
I suspect it might be a wording issue, but I read that sentence as that I said they couldn't do anything with those CDs. I haven't, however, made such a claim.

It seems that many (all?) dealers are doing the same thing and at least getting some value out of them by not paying for them AND a separate loaner fleet.
Hell I would if I owned a dealership unless Porsche was willing to take on the debt associated with holding them and the loans until they fix what VW caused. Makes sense and with the cheap gas and mileage they could run them for-ever at probably a lower cost to them than a set of v6 models of either Cayenne, Macans, or Panameras.
Old 02-13-2016 | 08:06 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Hell I would if I owned a dealership unless Porsche was willing to take on the debt associated with holding them and the loans until they fix what VW caused. Makes sense and with the cheap gas and mileage they could run them for-ever at probably a lower cost to them than a set of v6 models of either Cayenne, Macans, or Panameras.
Haven't seen this at my dealer. They have a Cayanne S, maybe 2, in loaner service. They also have a C4 Cab and a Panamera 4 (that I currently have as a loaner), as well as a Boxster or two.

Maybe they were just lucky in their timing and didn't get stuck with any CDs when the order came down?
Old 02-13-2016 | 10:29 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

I wonder how the Porsche dealerships attached to the big automotive groups are dealing with this. Although stronger and better able to deal with "dead" inventory, some are publicly traded, with shareholders to answer to. This has to be getting ugly on so many levels. Tying up working capital with assets that may have substantial depreciation can't be good. Even if they are used as loaners, they still need to be sold.
Old 02-14-2016 | 10:33 AM
snzuloz
Instructor

Porsche is barely affected if you look at the number of diesels compared to gas. VW is taking the brunt as they should, along with Audi.
Old 02-14-2016 | 12:27 PM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

I was at a large, long time legacy Porsche dealer last week and inquired about the status of the 3.0 Diesel episode and they indicated to me that in their opinion, Porsche would no longer be offering Diesel powertrains (Cayenne's or otherwise) in the US. Hope this does not happen as i was a huge fan.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue