Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:33 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche email of today
Therefore, we would only be speculating if we tried to comment about how any such changes might affect the performance of your Porsche Cayenne Diesel vehicle, if at all.
That's a bit ominous. Then again, speculation gets us nowhere on this one, except riled up for (at the moment) no real reason.

I guess it's OK to be prepared and decide what you'll accept, but beyond that, pretty much nothing but unnecessary stress.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,581 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Got my email too as I was responding to PJ the last time

I haven't read the details yet. Is it bumper to bumper like the CPO or is it just emissions related stuff?

Of course the first thing they'll do is flash your ECU, so if you decide you don't want the "upgrade" then this isn't worth much

It will all come down to what the fix is.

I actually don't want this. I was looking forward to the warranty expiring next year as I'd then be able to tinker and modify with ugly looks from my wife
More or less bumper to bumper, but the same as the CPO coverage. Short list of things that aren't covered.

I'm pretty pleased about this, since we are knocking on 40k miles after not quite 30 months. If the upgraded tune makes it run like the 2016 I drove, and doesn't decrease mileage, then I'm pretty happy.

If it increases Urea, I wouldn't be surprised. I remember saying after 1 year that my urea use was surprisingly low. To me, Urea is cheap. Hardly worth mentioning if you have to put in a few gallons every 10k miles.

This limited warranty covers all parts of the following components:
Engine
Fuel / Cooling system
Power train / Transmission
Suspension / Steering
Brake system
Heating / Air condition
Electrical Systems
Body
Comfort Electronics

This warranty does not cover:
Emission Control Systems and Corrosion. (Refer to the Emission Control and Corrosion Limited Warranties in the new vehicle limited warranty manual.)
Batteries damaged from storage, lack of normal vehicle use, or non-Porsche Approved electrical or accessory installation.
Tires damaged by road hazard. (If you need further assistance, contact your authorized Porsche automobile dealer.)
Tires damaged by premature wear.
Parts that fail due to lack of required maintenance or use of non-Porsche Cars N.A. distributed parts.
Normal wear and tear or deterioration of any part.
Cleaning and polishing.
Contamination of fuels, lubricants, or other fluids.
Lubricants, unless part of a warranty repair.
Air conditioner refrigerant charge unless part of a warranty repair.
Glass breakage, chips and/or scratches that are not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
Appearance items that are not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
Any car registered or normally driven outside of the United States and Canada.
The replacement of expendable maintenance items (such as spark plugs, filters, worn wiper blades, worn brakes, worn clutches, worn tires) when the replacement is not due to a defect in material or workmanship.
The adding of any fluids unless they are needed as part of a warranty repair.
Any car with an odometer that has been altered so that the actual mileage cannot be determined.
Vehicles with total loss or salvage titles.
Modifications not authorized by Porsche Cars N.A. or it’s authorized dealers.
Service adjustments (such as idle speed, air/fuel mixture, brake, clutch, headlight, and drive belts)
Improper repairs by someone other than Porsche Cars N.A. or it’s authorized dealers.
Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use or other events beyond the control of Porsche Cars N.A.
Components and/or parts that failed during racing or driving events (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the CPO limited warranty.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:44 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow. That is impressive. Can't fault them there, especially if it is just increased Urea usage.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:05 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a current 2013 CD owner - I haven't received an email (yet). Do you have to contact PCNA / PAG or do they contact you? Has anyone received a regular surface mail letter with same information? Extended warranty sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:04 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stronbl
I'm a current 2013 CD owner - I haven't received an email (yet). Do you have to contact PCNA / PAG or do they contact you? Has anyone received a regular surface mail letter with same information? Extended warranty sounds like a step in the right direction to me. Thanks.
I didn't reach out to them and contrary to the opening sentence I hadn't heard from them before on this issue. No snail mail info either and until I have hard copy proof I'm still filing this under cool, but not confirmed since I wouldn't trust an email to stand up in court
Old 12-19-2015, 10:58 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Just call your dealer to check. It should be automatically added to your CD's maintenance record
Old 12-19-2015, 11:03 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Got the email, as well for my 2013 CD -- very well crafted communication -- open and honest -- well received by myself. Now, if they can just keep the performance on par with what we have today, I'd be very pleased, as this is a superb vehicle as it stands today.

The way they are handling this difficult situation is in stark contrast to the way they dealt with the coolant pipe issue, that to this day ticks me off. I don't blame Porsche for this emission issue, as I assume they took the VW power platform -- added a few tweaks, and assumed the VW engineers were doing their job in conformance with regulatory requirements.

In short, I'd like Porsche to ensure that we are made whole, and I think there's a reasonably good chance that may happen. I only need a buy back if the performance suffers with the eventual fix.

In the mean time, I'm looking at adding the new 911 to my garage next year.

Last edited by philg3; 12-19-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:26 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stronbl
I'm a current 2013 CD owner - I haven't received an email (yet). Do you have to contact PCNA / PAG or do they contact you? Has anyone received a regular surface mail letter with same information? Extended warranty sounds like a step in the right direction to me.

Thanks.
I haven't received any paper correspondence at all, only e-mail. I wouldn't worry about e-mail "holding up in court." I'm the original owner of my 2014 diesel. I'd guess PCAG / PCNA is pulling diesel owner records from dealership service databases.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:58 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by philg3
The way they are handling this difficult situation is in stark contrast to the way they dealt with the coolant pipe issue, that to this day ticks me off.
Indeed. Porsche has a tendency to handle wide spread issues badly (M96/M97 IMSB, bore scoring, coolant pipes, etc..), but they seem to be more proactive and customer friendly this time.

That may have something to do with regulatory bodies being involved though so they can't just ignore it for years...
Old 12-19-2015, 02:02 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by philg3
Got the email, as well for my 2013 CD -- very well crafted communication -- open and honest -- well received by myself. Now, if they can just keep the performance on par with what we have today, I'd be very pleased, as this is a superb vehicle as it stands today. The way they are handling this difficult situation is in stark contrast to the way they dealt with the coolant pipe issue, that to this day ticks me off. I don't blame Porsche for this emission issue, as I assume they took the VW power platform -- added a few tweaks, and assumed the VW engineers were doing their job in conformance with regulatory requirements. In short, I'd like Porsche to ensure that we are made whole, and I think there's a reasonably good chance that may happen. I only need a buy back if the performance suffers with the eventual fix. In the mean time, I'm looking at adding the new 911 to my garage next year.
Agree. To be sure, the 3.0 TDI is an Audi engine. Fact is, it's all one big family. Porsche is taking the right step. Impressed with the straightforward communication.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:20 PM
flynpch
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Speedometer issue coupled to emissions

Does the issue of defective speedometers (mine is off 8-10%) couple to the emissions/mpg issue? I am pissed to learn that mine is off to the high side by 10%. Also means we are logging more miles than travelled.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:54 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If my speedo was off that much I would run larger diameter tires.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:08 PM
flynpch
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Class action suits

There are already several class action lawsuits out there. What are pros/cons of joining? All of them are demanding repurchase of the vehicles. I believe this is the death of TDI and will have a significant impact on value of the vehicle moving forward (dead breed). Any legal advise on the forum as to "wait and see" or "join the class action???
Old 12-19-2015, 06:15 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by flynpch
There are already several class action lawsuits out there. What are pros/cons of joining? All of them are demanding repurchase of the vehicles. I believe this is the death of TDI and will have a significant impact on value of the vehicle moving forward (dead breed). Any legal advise on the forum as to "wait and see" or "join the class action???
I'd say wait to see what the fix is and does to know if there is something worth being upset about.

The winners in a class action are the lawyers. They will get the lion share of any settlement. It also waives your right to pursue legal redress yourself.

Technically you don't need to join at this time anyway. If the case has enough merit to go forward and be judged as a class, we'll get notified and be able to join as they determine the full scope of the settlement.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:53 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by flynpch
Does the issue of defective speedometers (mine is off 8-10%) couple to the emissions/mpg issue? I am pissed to learn that mine is off to the high side by 10%. Also means we are logging more miles than travelled.
From what I understand, the speedo can be off by up to 10% high, but the odometer is accurate, so your mileage isn't higher than actually traveled.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue