Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 02:54 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by 997xpress
Simple software fix?

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2...diesels-in-u-s

Audi says it has simple fixes for V-6 diesels in U.S.

December 9, 2015 08:47 CET

BERLIN (Reuters) -- Audi says it has found simple technical fixes for its V-6, 3.0-liter diesel engines that U.S. regulators say violate the country's clean air laws. The engine is fitted in about 85,000 Audi, VW and Porsche diesels sold in the U.S.

"Swift, straightforward and customer-friendly solutions are in discussion," Audi CEO Rupert Stadler told a gathering of 7,000 workers at Audi's headquarters in Ingolstadt, Germany, on Tuesday. "Every day we are taking another step towards the solution," he said.

Audi said last month that it failed to disclose three emissions control software functions on the engine, known as auxiliary emissions control devices (AECDs) as required by U.S. law. One of the AECDs fitted to adjust the working temperature of catalytic converters is regarded as a defeat device according to U.S. law, Audi said.

The brand has submitted a fix to U.S. authorities that indicates the engine can be made compliant with a software update.

Stadler came under fire from some labor representatives for initially ruling out any modifications to the engine. He will face questions today from VW's supervisory board on how Audi will tackle the crisis at a time when its sales are slowing amid falling demand for its models in China, its biggest market by volume.

Audi accounts for about 40 percent of parent Volkswagen Group's group profit.

Audi's supervisory board last week appointed VW Group CEO Matthias Mueller as chairman and Stefan Knirsch as development chief to succeed Ulrich Hackenberg. Hackenberg was suspended two months ago together with two other executives closely associated with the development of the diesel engine at the center of VW Group's emissions-rigging scandal.

Automotive News Europe contributed to this report

Contact Automotive News
Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...an-we-thought/ And now it's only 36000 cars instead of 800000 cars affected. This will blow over pretty quick.
Great! Wonderful! Now release the sales hold/stop on the Cayenne Diesel's in port, on the lot, and already ordered so folks like me can have their cars and yes I agree this would blow over but the hold doesn't help the market nor residual value as it feeds the public fear and to some hysteria on this scandal. I mean hell allow buyers to sign a statement acknowledging the defect and VW's fix pending and releasing them for unnecessary/unreasonable liability. They could even offer to buy back the cars if the EPA doesn't play ball but let us have our cars!
Old 12-11-2015, 09:54 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts

So we are supposed to believe that after years of work the original development team missed this "simple" fix and resorted to fraud to sell cars. And the "fix" was so simple that it took only a couple of months to develop. This is looking like the "fix" is VW friendly and will noticeably change how our diesels run.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This article says the rate of urea consumption was purposely set low to avoid refills between service stops. Cayenne Diesels get serviced every 5000 miles unlike Audi and VW that are on a longer service interval.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/11/bu...=20718446&_r=0

As others have speculated here we may wind up getting firmware update that increases our urea burn rate. I currently use about 2 1/2 gallons in 5K miles.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:46 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Great! Wonderful! Now release the sales hold/stop on the Cayenne Diesel
This fix is still pending EPA/CARB approval. I doubt the hold will be removed until at least then, but probably not until they have applied the patch to all the in stock/port cars.

Basically it keeps you from suing them (since you have the option of not taking delivery) over the results of the change.

If you see yours before Feb I'll be surprised. Sorry man

Originally Posted by Rob VN
As others have speculated here we may wind up getting firmware update that increases our urea burn rate. I currently use about 2 1/2 gallons in 5K miles.
I'm at about 12.5k over 5 gallons myself. I'm not sure I'd appreciate that dropping to say 5k, but it wouldn't be the end of the world either.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:44 AM
booch
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

DPF fluid is about 6 bucks a gallon, so it's not a big deal. If folks are letting the Porsche dealer rape them on refills, then they should be taking the bus

That is Good News on the potential fix; we've got 65k trouble-free miles on our '13 CD and are very pleased with it in all ways. If I hadn't needed a pickup, my most recent vehicle purchase would very likely have been another CD, albeit a used one. Instead I wound up with a Ram 3500 with Cummins power. One thing I do like on the Ram is that there is a DEF gauge on the dash, as well as the truck-sized fuel filler hole. The Cayenne feels like a 911 though after spending a few days in the Dodge... it's a big beast.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:15 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2016 BMW X5 diesel has been approved for sale by CARB/EPA. It's interesting that in that application it makes less horsepower.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:30 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
This fix is still pending EPA/CARB approval. I doubt the hold will be removed until at least then, but probably not until they have applied the patch to all the in stock/port cars.

Basically it keeps you from suing them (since you have the option of not taking delivery) over the results of the change.

If you see yours before Feb I'll be surprised. Sorry man

I'm at about 12.5k over 5 gallons myself. I'm not sure I'd appreciate that dropping to say 5k, but it wouldn't be the end of the world either.
Well dealer has an almost identical to stock Cayenne v6 that just left the production headed our way too just in case there are issues. I can take delivery of either car when they arrive. Hopefully VW will get their act together by then so I the Cayenne Diesel is a go!
Old 12-11-2015, 06:56 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

What I haven't heard, but wonder about is what if someone had done Euro delivery? You have to pay in advance and you take delivery in Germany. So would/could they still refuse to give it to you if it hit port after the hold went in place?

Just a pointless mind scratcher, but it makes me remember how I should have opted for ED
Old 12-11-2015, 06:57 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

What I haven't heard, but wonder about is what if someone had done Euro delivery? You have to pay in advance and you take delivery in Germany. So would/could they still refuse to give it to you if it hit port after the hold went in place?

Just a pointless mind scratcher, but it makes me remember how I should have opted for ED
You might have trouble at customs getting the car cleared into the US.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:50 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
You might have trouble at customs getting the car cleared into the US.
How do you figure? They are currently legal and approved. It is VAG that stopped the sale. It would all be internal confusion and politics.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:43 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I drove a 2015 CD demo today while the dealer worked on my 997. Great to drive and a lot of fun. If they could have sold it, I never would have had such an opportunity. I want to buy one when the dust settles. Good mileage and a blast to drive.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:50 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

They still couldn't sell it to you my dealer said. All ED Diesel cars also had their delivery dates stopped and held. So even if you were picking it up in Europe they still can't sell it to you less alone ship it to you to import. Stop-Sale hold is worldwide for all USA bound cars till otherwise released.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:52 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

How do you figure? They are currently legal and approved. It is VAG that stopped the sale. It would all be internal confusion and politics.
Dealer cannot sell the cars no matter where their origin my dealer says. VW AG would not let them sell it even it the car is still in Europe. Stop-sale is worldwide for all US bound cars. Yes still voluntary but covers ALL Cayenne Diesels sold by VW AG. However this doesn't affect non-VW dealerships.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:11 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Dealer cannot sell the cars no matter where their origin my dealer says. VW AG would not let them sell it even it the car is still in Europe. Stop-sale is worldwide for all US bound cars. Yes still voluntary but covers ALL Cayenne Diesels sold by VW AG. However this doesn't affect non-VW dealerships.
Yes, but what I'm pondering is the edge case where the customer took delivery in Europe prior to the stop sale going in place, but then it doesn't land in the U.S. until after the stop was issued.

In that case the sale was already completed and customer delivery already happened.

So I'm just wondering if they would still turn over the car without trouble or if it would turn into a frustrating ordeal getting them to realize that the sale was already complete.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:29 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...an-we-thought/ And now it's only 36000 cars instead of 800000 cars affected. This will blow over pretty quick.
That's a separate issue with gassers; not the diesel issues.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue