Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 11:52 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
FYI, the Oct deadline is for a technical fix only. The parallel track program ordered by the judge had a deadline of Nov 4
You are correct
Old 10-15-2016, 12:25 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

FYI, the Oct deadline is for a technical fix only. The parallel track program ordered by the judge had a deadline of Nov 4
From the transcript, I read that the October deadline was to submit to the court ahead of the 4 November hearing, to give the court time to review the submission.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:42 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
From the transcript, I read that the October deadline was to submit to the court ahead of the 4 November hearing, to give the court time to review the submission.
I think you are correct. It is to allow the regulators to test and say yes/no. As an aside, even the lawyers have been compensated.

So, guys, make them work for you.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:58 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Searcher, I think that you're 100% correct. And frankly I've moved on...just need to get rid of the Jetta TDI as the parking spot in Chicago is worth more than the car.

I was on 9hr flight today and had plenty of time to search for useless items and came across this very recent article that describes my trade-in vs. buy back and the tax predicament.

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/...el-9966057.php
Good article and links within. Thanks.

Well, there's another wrinkle - tax implications. Just another thing to balance in evaluating whatever presents itself in the future.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:10 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

This article seems pretty accurate.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/54866433.cms

$175 million to lawyers, much less than they expected.

From the article, a quick summary -
"VW has agreed to spend up to $10.033 billion to buy back the vehicles and compensate owners. It may also offer vehicle fixes if regulators approve. Under a timetable announced this summer, regulators could approve a fix for some 2015 VW diesel vehicles as early as next month."
In addition - I haven't verified:
"In addition, VW has agreed to pay up to $1.21 billion to compensate US VW brand dealers, pay more than $600 million to 44 US states, spend $2 billion on zero-emission vehicle promotion and infrastructure, and another $2.7 billion to offset diesel pollution."
Old 10-15-2016, 04:18 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

And now, from the Paris Auto Show,
The EU is rewriting regs to address emissions of vehicles while operating on the road.

Unintended consequence - manufacturers are reverting to larger engines.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-au...-idUSKBN12E11K

Diesels still have the advantage over gasoline engines when it comes to CO2 emissions. But working little turbos hard is causing excess emissions in real life. Of course, most of us already know that.

From the article:
"They might be doing OK in the current European test cycle, but in the real world they are not performing," said Pavan Potluri, an analyst with influential forecaster IHS Automotive."
Old 10-16-2016, 12:49 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Searcher356
And now, from the Paris Auto Show,
The EU is rewriting regs to address emissions of vehicles while operating on the road.

Unintended consequence - manufacturers are reverting to larger engines.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-au...-idUSKBN12E11K

Diesels still have the advantage over gasoline engines when it comes to CO2 emissions. But working little turbos hard is causing excess emissions in real life. Of course, most of us already know that.

From the article:
"They might be doing OK in the current European test cycle, but in the real world they are not performing," said Pavan Potluri, an analyst with influential forecaster IHS Automotive."
Just posted that same info yesterday. See previous page for my thoughts. The short version...the jig is up. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, knew that emissions and consumption stats on standardized tests vs. real world are WAY off. Only now VW exposed the sham in a most humiliating way by proving they could cheat for almost a decade and nearly get away with it if it hadn't been for some curious US researchers. (Typing that made me feel like I was channeling the end of a Scooby Doo episode.. "Ans I would have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for you meddling kids!').

So now the bar is reset and us 3.0 owners are in ****ty limbo. Between this and the election, early November is going to be interesting!
Old 10-18-2016, 09:40 PM
mkptlb
Banned

Received 208 Likes on 113 Posts

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ment/92353414/
Separately, VW's Giuffra told Breyer that he's hoping to have positive news to report at a Nov. 3 hearing regarding the status of settlement talks over 3-liter diesel vehicles that also cheated emissions standards but are not included in this settlement.

"There must be a resolution," Breyer said, adding that 3-liter diesel owners have been "aggrieved" and "their claims are no less important."
Old 10-19-2016, 12:01 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

THE USA reporter, Nathan Borney, has been off target during most of his coverage.
Here's a less biased report, omitting the "smog belching diesels" moniker that USA Today likes to use.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...nt-with-owners

Only a perfunctory three hour hearing, which was a disappointment. If you watch video snippets, Judge Breyer is clearly enjoying his new-found notoriety.

Even after the October 25th written decision, nobody is any closer to closure.
I hope the decision includes a determination of the options if no "fix" is approved by EPA/CARB, which is looking likely.

Specifically - if there is no approved fix, will owners be FORCED into selling back, or can they continue to enjoy their cars as they are now? (That would be State-specific unless the Feds jump in here, too.)
Old 10-19-2016, 12:49 PM
TAch Miami
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Specifically - if there is no approved fix, will owners be FORCED into selling back, or can they continue to enjoy their cars as they are now? (That would be State-specific unless the Feds jump in here, too.)
Asking that question about the 3.0s of anyone here would be akin to asking this person.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2016, 02:13 PM
Dr Cayenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkptlb
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ment/92353414/
Separately, VW's Giuffra told Breyer that he's hoping to have positive news to report at a Nov. 3 hearing regarding the status of settlement talks over 3-liter diesel vehicles that also cheated emissions standards but are not included in this settlement.

"There must be a resolution," Breyer said, adding that 3-liter diesel owners have been "aggrieved" and "their claims are no less important."
Thank you for your post. That was very informative, now we have a clue about the mindset of the judge.

Please disregard the mindless babbling coming from corporate shrills. They are just nervous and can't hide their pavlovian reflexes.

Last edited by Dr Cayenne; 10-19-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr Cayenne
Thank you for your post. That was very informative, now we have a clue about the mindset of the judge.

I thought the judge's comments at the end of the last session were telling the same tale as this new comment. Specifically he noted that while he wanted to believe VW could come up with a fix for the 3 liter cars, he didn't believe that they could and wanted them to work on a proposed settlement to be laid out on 11/4. This reaffirms his position, which I like to hear.

Originally Posted by Dr Cayenne
Please disregard the mindless babbling coming from corporate shrills. They are just nervous and can't hide their pavlovian reflexes.
Who here is a corporate shill?
Old 10-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TAch Miami
Asking that question about the 3.0s of anyone here would be akin to asking this person.
Hey, wait, that's who I go to also! She's pretty good!
Old 10-19-2016, 05:48 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Only a perfunctory three hour hearing, which was a disappointment. If you watch video snippets, Judge Breyer is clearly enjoying his new-found notoriety.
Going to read the transcript tonight.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:49 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Going to read the transcript tonight.
Only 109 pages

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue