Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015 | 03:14 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

I haven't received any communication (... yet ...), still hoping to get something in regular mail. For those who have received written communication, can you tell me who it is from, i.e. a specific person at PCNA, for example. I'll call them on Monday. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2015 | 03:19 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

What I received

As promised in my last letter to you, we remain committed to keeping you updated on the status of the Environmental Protection Agency Notice of Violation we received affecting your Porsche Cayenne Diesel vehicle.

Both we and our engine supplier continue cooperating with all regulatory authorities to identify the changes that will be required in order to re-certify the 3.0-liter V6 diesel engine. Therefore, we would only be speculating if we tried to comment about how any such changes might affect the performance of your Porsche Cayenne Diesel vehicle, if at all. We can only hope you will accept our assurance that, as soon as we know, we will inform you.

As a sign of our respect for you as a Porsche customer, and our appreciation for your patience and loyalty while we clarify the issues and gather all the facts, we hope you will accept a 2-year Porsche Approved Limited Warranty that will extend the warranty coverage for your Cayenne Diesel up to 6 years or 100,000 miles from its original in-service date, whichever occurs first. Your Porsche Cayenne Diesel remains safe and roadworthy, and we hope this longer limited warranty coverage will allow you to continue to drive your Porsche with great confidence. You can find all the details about the Porsche Approved Limited Warranty at
http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedu...ures/warranty/.

This warranty will automatically be added to the records concerning your Porsche Cayenne Diesel vehicle without any further action needed on your part, and is also fully transferable to any future owner of your car. You may be assured that we are offering this without any prejudice to any future rights you may have or may wish to exercise as a result of these unfortunate matters. We mean only to thank you for your loyalty to Porsche and to recognize that these investigations have caused you concern, for which we apologize.

Please allow me to reiterate that we appreciate your business and your loyalty. As this situation unfolds, we hope we may ask you to allow us the necessary time to ensure we make this right for you. We are committed to doing just that.

Very truly yours,

Klaus Zellmer
President and Chief Executive Officer
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Old 12-27-2015 | 04:22 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Likewise. It reference a previous communication which I never got. Is there. A copy of that posted?

Porsche Logo
Porsche Familiy

Dear [owner],

As promised in my last letter to you, we remain committed to keeping you updated on the status of the Environmental Protection Agency Notice of Violation we received affecting your Porsche Cayenne Diesel vehicle.

Both we and our engine supplier continue cooperating with all regulatory authorities to identify the changes that will be required in order to re-certify the 3.0-liter V6 diesel engine. Therefore, we would only be speculating if we tried to comment about how any such changes might affect the performance of your Porsche Cayenne Diesel vehicle, if at all. We can only hope you will accept our assurance that, as soon as we know, we will inform you.

As a sign of our respect for you as a Porsche customer, and our appreciation for your patience and loyalty while we clarify the issues and gather all the facts, we hope you will accept a 2-year Porsche Approved Limited Warranty that will extend the warranty coverage for your Cayenne Diesel up to 6 years or 100,000 miles from its original in-service date, whichever occurs first. Your Porsche Cayenne Diesel remains safe and roadworthy, and we hope this longer limited warranty coverage will allow you to continue to drive your Porsche with great confidence. You can find all the details about the Porsche Approved Limited Warranty at

This warranty will automatically be added to the records concerning your Porsche Cayenne Diesel vehicle without any further action needed on your part, and is also fully transferable to any future owner of your car. You may be assured that we are offering this without any prejudice to any future rights you may have or may wish to exercise as a result of these unfortunate matters. We mean only to thank you for your loyalty to Porsche and to recognize that these investigations have caused you concern, for which we apologize.

Please allow me to reiterate that we appreciate your business and your loyalty. As this situation unfolds, we hope we may ask you to allow us the necessary time to ensure we make this right for you. We are committed to doing just that.

Very truly yours,

Klaus Zellmer
Old 12-27-2015 | 04:48 PM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

I finally received the letter in the mail Saturday. Previously I had spoken with my SA and he was surprised I hadn't heard anything and provided a copy of the email he received.
Old 12-27-2015 | 06:08 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

from a thread in the 991 section, I think they jacked me on the money factor on my lease. Even though my accountant says it makes more sense for me to lease for the business, with this warranty extension, I'm considering buying out the lease (6 months into it). I think they jacked my money factor to around .0032 from what I can calculate. I bought a CPO 991S at 1.9% rate the same day.
Old 12-27-2015 | 08:30 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJG911
from a thread in the 991 section, I think they jacked me on the money factor on my lease. Even though my accountant says it makes more sense for me to lease for the business, with this warranty extension, I'm considering buying out the lease (6 months into it). I think they jacked my money factor to around .0032 from what I can calculate. I bought a CPO 991S at 1.9% rate the same day.
That is what...7.6%. Sounds like robbery to me.
How does a warranty extension benefit a leased vehicle? Maybe helps with resale?
Old 12-28-2015 | 09:51 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by v10rick
That is what...7.6%. Sounds like robbery to me.
How does a warranty extension benefit a leased vehicle? Maybe helps with resale?
thats about what I figured too. Unfortunately, admittedly, I didn't know all the math behind leasing. I only leased another because I can pay for it with pretax dollars instead of depreciating it.

Warranty doesn't help with a lease, but since this is our 2nd CD and I ordered it to the exact specs we wanted, I think we should buy and hold it for a long time.
Old 12-28-2015 | 11:50 AM
Mtea
Instructor

Thanks all for the heads up on the warranty extension to 100k. I had not received any email or snail mail so I called Porsche USA this morning. They confirmed that the warranty on my 2014 CD Platinum Edition has been extended to 6 years and 100k. No need for me to do anything. Possibly the best Christmas present I got this year (although the the elf hat from my son was pretty sweet).
Old 12-28-2015 | 12:43 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mtea
Thanks all for the heads up on the warranty extension to 100k. I had not received any email or snail mail so I called Porsche USA this morning. They confirmed that the warranty on my 2014 CD Platinum Edition has been extended to 6 years and 100k. No need for me to do anything. Possibly the best Christmas present I got this year (although the the elf hat from my son was pretty sweet).
Originally Posted by skiahh
Porsche Logo
Porsche Familiy

Dear [owner],

Very truly yours,

Klaus Zellmer
Thanks all. I just called PCNA and spoke to their customer care folks. Seems my VIN (2013 CD) is not affected by the diesel emissions issues. They said it was VIN specific and based on manufacturing date. Mine is an early 2013 model year with production completed 10-1-2012. So no extended warranty for me but also no workshop / recall order either. For those like me who have heard nothing, might be worth a phone call to PCNA and have them check your VIN too.

Maybe that's why I got an email from a local dealer a few weeks ago asking if I wanted to trade in or trade up my 2013 CD ...
Old 12-28-2015 | 01:43 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stronbl
Thanks all. I just called PCNA and spoke to their customer care folks. Seems my VIN (2013 CD) is not affected by the diesel emissions issues. They said it was VIN specific and based on manufacturing date. Mine is an early 2013 model year with production completed 10-1-2012. So no extended warranty for me but also no workshop / recall order either. For those like me who have heard nothing, might be worth a phone call to PCNA and have them check your VIN too.

Maybe that's why I got an email from a local dealer a few weeks ago asking if I wanted to trade in or trade up my 2013 CD ...
Just curious now. So, the "cheat" software was inserted sometime afterwards?
Old 12-28-2015 | 03:43 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Hmmm... That seems suspect. Mine was completed the week following yours and I got the letter and coverage.

I could understand if there was a cutoff in mid-Nov that year as that's when they tweaked a few things (Jukebox, iPod/USB without PCM, etc..), but Oct of that year doesn't seem right.

It could be that things aren't completely organized and updated yet. Unless you are in need of the warranty coverage now, I'd wait a bit and check again.

If they still say no, then it might be worth some legal advice as that will have a larger impact on any potential resale than the diesel issue itself. If all of your competition has that extended warranty, but you don't then your car would be worth less than one (apparently) manufactured a week later.
Old 12-28-2015 | 03:47 PM
abatis
Instructor

I ordered my 2013 Cayenne in Dec/2012 and took delivery in May 2013. I received the warranty letter on Saturday. I don't think I will be taking my Cayenne back to the Porsche dealer unless there is a warranty issue. I don't want any software update. The vehicle works very well as is.
Old 12-28-2015 | 03:58 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnat
Hmmm... That seems suspect. Mine was completed the week following yours and I got the letter and coverage.

I could understand if there was a cutoff in mid-Nov that year as that's when they tweaked a few things (Jukebox, iPod/USB without PCM, etc..), but Oct of that year doesn't seem right.

It could be that things aren't completely organized and updated yet. Unless you are in need of the warranty coverage now, I'd wait a bit and check again.

If they still say no, then it might be worth some legal advice as that will have a larger impact on any potential resale than the diesel issue itself. If all of your competition has that extended warranty, but you don't then your car would be worth less than one (apparently) manufactured a week later.
Yep. That's what they told me. My VIN was not impacted with the emissions issue, but they'll keep me informed if that changes. I asked several times, especially saying I know people who also have a 2013 CD and they got the letter. Once again they reiterated my CD was not impacted. I also confirmed they have my correct contact info, address, email, and phone numbers - which was all correct when they read it back to me.

Soooo, I guess we'll see if this is indeed the case, but as for now I don't get to play in the game, but I'll be watching from the sidelines most definitely. And I will indeed check back with PCNA in a month or so.
Old 12-28-2015 | 04:08 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Once again they reiterated my CD was not impacted.
Maybe they figure one new engine from them was enough and they can't wait to get rid of you

Originally Posted by internal PCNA discussion about covering stronbl
2 more years of that guy? We already replaced one engine!
We'll risk a lawsuit. We can probably drag it out a good 20 years.

Seriously though, hope they take care of you.
Old 12-28-2015 | 04:12 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abatis
I ordered my 2013 Cayenne in Dec/2012 and took delivery in May 2013. I received the warranty letter on Saturday. I don't think I will be taking my Cayenne back to the Porsche dealer unless there is a warranty issue. I don't want any software update. The vehicle works very well as is.
Only fly in that ointment is if the EPA gets with Porsche and the states and refuses to allow cars to be re-registered unless the software is installed.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue