Sponsored By:

Mr12Volt - The solution for Carplay and Android Auto integration

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 10:34 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Because I very much want to get it right, I pulled the deck back out, and we're at the point where the standoffs should be installed and the Mr. 12 Volt PCB mounted. Left of image are my four standoffs, you can see the PCB for stock XM radio... Ignore the twist ties, that was my cable anti-fatigue solution :-)

Guidance would be gratefully appreciated in the use of the standoffs... The CD changer would prefer not being blocked by ribbon cables .
Old 06-26-2023, 11:07 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
Because I very much want to get it right, I pulled the deck back out, and we're at the point where the standoffs should be installed and the Mr. 12 Volt PCB mounted. Left of image are my four standoffs, you can see the PCB for stock XM radio... Ignore the twist ties, that was my cable anti-fatigue solution :-)

Guidance would be gratefully appreciated in the use of the standoffs... The CD changer would prefer not being blocked by ribbon cables .
David, did you buy the unit from me? Call me and I'll walk you through this.

Our website is now LIVE! please visit us at www.ACSByRoman.com

COUPON CODE "toys" FOR FREE INSTALL KIT!

On site install is available in the Philadelphia PA area as is Global shipping!

CLICK HERE JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 06-27-2023, 09:04 AM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm afraid in this instance I purchased directly from Mr. 12 Volt solution's website directly which would explain the standoffs being the wrong configuration. Apologies as I suspect that means I'll need to solution something else (find other standoffs.)
Old 06-27-2023, 09:08 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
I'm afraid in this instance I purchased directly from Mr. 12 Volt solution's website directly which would explain the standoffs being the wrong configuration. Apologies as I suspect that means I'll need to solution something else (find other standoffs.)
Reach out and I'll provide you with the solution.
The following users liked this post:
mo01gte (06-28-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 07:00 PM
heeltoejunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Will wired carplay also work? I need to provide my kids with internet via personal hotspot on my phone. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2023, 08:33 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by heeltoejunkie
Will wired carplay also work? I need to provide my kids with internet via personal hotspot on my phone. Thanks!

This is a wireless system. The usb plug that is provides is a female end and is meant really for music or movies on a usb stick.
Old 08-02-2023, 05:12 AM
heeltoejunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got the mr12volt installed with Roman’s guidance on the phone for troubleshooting! Everything works as expected and even the wireless CarPlay connects faster than I imagined. Standoffs for XM worked perfectly - overall happy with it testing it for a few hours driving with no issues. Thanks again Roman!

the only questions I have which I’ll eventually come around to are if there are any updates available or needed to perform on the mr12volt and if anyone has any wireless camera solutions that can work with the system since it enables the use of additional cameras. A wireless backup camera for trailers would be a nice touch to add as a camera to view while towing or navigating tricky terrain via an added front wireless camera would be also good

Old 08-02-2023, 11:38 AM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts

Question: If a Tech is not experienced with this install, but is otherwise a good technician, how many hours would it take for an install assuming that the tech is careful and methodical? No extra cameras or anything. 2013 Cayenne GTS. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:52 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The unofficial answer is, I am a certifiable idiot and I was able to follow the instructions in order to make the modification. You need some very small torques screwdrivers and some careful prying and I need to emphasize the careful part there along with depressing two two clips to separate the bottom from the top.

The scariest part is installing the board and making sure you have properly seated the new ribbon cables. It can be done I promise you just take your time You do not have to solder anything nor should you have to apply any amount of force to anything you work on.

Not a stock image but my PCM unit with the 12 volt installed notice how nothing is on fire smoking or otherwise untoward
FormerRotor (08-11-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 03:56 PM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by SeanPatrick31
Question: If a Tech is not experienced with this install, but is otherwise a good technician, how many hours would it take for an install assuming that the tech is careful and methodical? No extra cameras or anything. 2013 Cayenne GTS. Thanks.

Most home installs are completed within 4hr. Many call me directly for support during this process, which is ok.
SeanPatrick31 (08-02-2023)
Old 08-05-2023, 10:14 AM
jl-c
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I have to say that was fun! Installed my Mr 12 Volt today and the biggest pain was removing those damn airvents! What a faff. Anyway, as I have rear seat entertainment that I never use I pulled the fuse for that and rather than take the board out I just added some stand-offs and mounted the Mr 12 Volt board on top. All works nicely, paired instantly with my iphone 14, no issue. I bought mine from Mr 12 Volt UK so watched the video a few times, re-read this thread a few times and it all made sense eventually! Thanks to all, you asked the questions I would have!
Old 08-05-2023, 11:10 AM
Roman ACS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jl-c
Well, I have to say that was fun! Installed my Mr 12 Volt today and the biggest pain was removing those damn airvents! What a faff. Anyway, as I have rear seat entertainment that I never use I pulled the fuse for that and rather than take the board out I just added some stand-offs and mounted the Mr 12 Volt board on top. All works nicely, paired instantly with my iphone 14, no issue. I bought mine from Mr 12 Volt UK so watched the video a few times, re-read this thread a few times and it all made sense eventually! Thanks to all, you asked the questions I would have!
Glad you did not pull the xm board! DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT PULL THE XM BOARD.

Glad you had an easy install. We sell to the uk as well. Just message me!

​​
jl-c (08-05-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 01:10 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jl-c
Well, I have to say that was fun! Installed my Mr 12 Volt today and the biggest pain was removing those damn airvents!
4 chopsticks would have made life easier. I have kept a few sets from a few local Chinee takee outee places just for that purpose.
lml999 (08-06-2023)
Old 08-06-2023, 02:48 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewDude
4 chopsticks would have made life easier. I have kept a few sets from a few local Chinee takee outee places just for that purpose.
If you're going to be R&Ring those vents a couple of times, buy a used one on eBay and get to understand how the release clips work.

I removed my vents maybe twenty times during my CarPlay journey. Never really got good at it, but good enough to not fear it...

Old 08-06-2023, 11:07 PM
Astrix
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 67 Posts

So after some research I am pretty convinced I'll go with the Mr 12 Volt solution, who is the best to order this through? Note I am in Sydney Australia, unlikely I'll install it myself but rather hand it over to my regular shop, would be handy for them to have support if needed.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Mr12Volt - The solution for Carplay and Android Auto integration