Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 12:07 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by grigory
Some folks here might remember my question several weeks back on 997.2 GT3 vs 991.2 GT3 MT. Just posting an update now - this time I went over to the dark side

Badass… beautiful car! Just make sure you turn off Rev-Match as a tribute to us
The following 3 users liked this post by Wonderdan:
Elliotw44 (09-04-2022), grigory (09-04-2022), monk46 (09-07-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 10:15 AM
dave292
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 117 Posts

Been to the Dark Side and back.
The following 2 users liked this post by dave292:
grigory (09-04-2022), RallyBird (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 11:59 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
LOL I'm tip toeing around... we don't want to risk a moderator erasing all this entertaining banter so gotta go back under my rock until the next beauty surfaces and I can unleash my trickery
I don't know. @Wonderdan is always causing problems here and on BAT. Just kidding. Hard to believe it's a discussion.

I'm torn on this white/gold at Merit Partners. I have a pretty much mint 2010 GT3 in white still under CPO for another year and I think it's got 16k miles on it. I love it. The GT3 RS at Merit has 39k miles on it, and that doesn't scare me if it still looks good. After paying $25k in sales tax, it would end up costing me maybe $110k-$120k to upgrade. I get a little more power, wide body, flywheel, and more important (I think) is different ratios. It has front end lift but I'm used to dealing with that.

Six months ago I would not have thought twice about it. Everybody (including me) was spending money like drunken sailors. But there might be headwinds coming.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:12 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,868 Likes on 1,704 Posts

Do not sell your white car for an RS. It's not worth it to let a pristine well sorted .2, in the condition yours is in, go for an unknown. Just wait it out.

There will always be a 997 Gt car for sale. Don't know what all the hoopla was this last year about everyone chasing them, when every week a new one would pop up.

Your car is one of my favorites. It's perfect in every way.

The following users liked this post:
HpIzKing (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 01:27 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I don't know. @Wonderdan is always causing problems here and on BAT. Just kidding. Hard to believe it's a discussion.

I'm torn on this white/gold at Merit Partners. I have a pretty much mint 2010 GT3 in white still under CPO for another year and I think it's got 16k miles on it. I love it. The GT3 RS at Merit has 39k miles on it, and that doesn't scare me if it still looks good. After paying $25k in sales tax, it would end up costing me maybe $110k-$120k to upgrade. I get a little more power, wide body, flywheel, and more important (I think) is different ratios. It has front end lift but I'm used to dealing with that.

Six months ago I would not have thought twice about it. Everybody (including me) was spending money like drunken sailors. But there might be headwinds coming.
have you driven an RS? It’s only impressive if you don’t already own/drive a GT3. If I was starting from scratch and looking for a GT3 then of course I would consider an RS over the base, assuming the premium was reasonable. However, I would never lay out extra cash to upgrade from a base to an RS if I already had a base I was happy with. There simply I’m not enough difference between the two for street use. If money is no object and you just want to stroke the ego to have the top model, then by all means go for it. But if you think you’ll get more fun for your money, you’ll most likely be disappointed. Make sure you drive an RS and your car back to back before making any decisions.

Last edited by 8Lug; 09-04-2022 at 01:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 8Lug:
Porsche cowboy (09-04-2022), Robocop305 (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 01:33 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Do not sell your white car for an RS. It's not worth it to let a pristine well sorted .2, in the condition yours is in, go for an unknown. Just wait it out.

There will always be a 997 Gt car for sale. Don't know what all the hoopla was this last year about everyone chasing them, when every week a new one would pop up.

Your car is one of my favorites. It's perfect in every way.
I agree with this 100%… in this case the FOMO isn’t justified. I justified selling mine because it was actually going to cost me ‘more’ than the difference to get it ready for the track and I actually felt a bit of guilt drilling the frame etc for the cage I wanted etc.

I personally don’t even think LWBS are worth the $ or even preferred, the only thing I wouldn’t live without is my full Dundon and the ‘sport’ button. Maybe a little more attention at cars an coffee but that wears off.

Given the chance again I would keep it... smelled like new car, pristine and loved mountain cruising and casual fun. Don’t forget since the laws changed and without an exchange you have to pay federal capital gain on the appreciation… so you lose to the government in both directions.
Old 09-04-2022, 01:49 PM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 168 Posts

@8Lug I disagree, i found my jump from a .1 GT to a .2 RS to be massive. However the delta wasn't fix figures. At that large of a difference i think i'd just toss a LWFW, LSD and gears in the .2 and rock out for a 15k spend. But then again there is not many cooler cars than a white/white-gold RS...
Old 09-04-2022, 02:06 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vma1788
@8Lug I disagree, i found my jump from a .1 GT to a .2 RS to be massive. However the delta wasn't fix figures. At that large of a difference i think i'd just toss a LWFW, LSD and gears in the .2 and rock out for a 15k spend. But then again there is not many cooler cars than a white/white-gold RS...
I’ve never owned 997.1 but I see and feel a lot of merit in my LWFW, 4.0 clutch… re-gearing 2nd and 3rd, my brakes, wing, cage, belts, LW battery, carbon bits, numeric shifter… list goes on… even the faster revs for a more accurate heal toe. But those are all things I didn’t quite fully comprehend until I was on the track. LWBS and 5 point harness are a must for my fatigue.

What I really loved my .2 for was flubbing my heal toe, chasing my friends on mountain roads with the AC on and the sound of Dundon bouncing off the canyon… in a semi-luxury GT experience and some good music once and a while.

That said I wouldn’t and maybe won’t ever get rid of this RS. I guess maybe I thought I could have both in the RS… but it wasn’t entirely true and it’s a compromise but perfect for “me”. But if your not headed to the track imo getting a very low mileage, trusted, sorted RS with full leather, PCCB, chrono etc to make up for what you already have isn’t quit worth it.

39k mile RS can’t be assumed demon free… simple stuff like hubs, original LSD, clutch, gear wear et..

Last edited by Wonderdan; 09-04-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-04-2022, 02:27 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,367 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio

I made almost the exact same jump as you are thinking about. Went from a white .2 GT3 to a white/gold .2 RS (both even had PCCB like the cars in your dilemma).

Is the RS better? Yes. Is it $100k better? No.

The delta wasn’t that much when I bought my RS back in 2020. Delta from GT3 to RS to 4.0 is at an all time high at the moment and is not worth making the jump. When the market cools the delta will come down.

The shorter gearing and LWFW are the most notable differences from the GT3. Get to shift more frequently also rev-matching/heel-toe downshifts are easier and more satisfying to execute. Also the RS seems to pick up better especially from lower revs and gets to redline faster I think mostly due to the shorter gearing. However, I don’t find these differences to be game changing. For the most part feels like I am driving my old .2 GT3 with moderate upgrades.

I posted an article below of Jethro Bovingdon comparing the .2 GT3 vs RS on road and track. I believe you have already read it in the reviews thread, but just in case anyone else hasn’t seen it.

Last edited by RapidGT; 09-04-2022 at 02:34 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RapidGT:
Climarepair.com (09-29-2022), fireman (09-07-2022), HpIzKing (09-05-2022), nstymatt (09-06-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 02:32 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grigory
Some folks here might remember my question several weeks back on 997.2 GT3 vs 991.2 GT3 MT. Just posting an update now - this time I went over to the dark side

Love the color. Did you own a 997.2 previously? If so, let us know how they compare once you get some seat time in the 991.
grigory (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 02:40 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vma1788
Maybe .1 to .2 is a bigger difference or maybe you appreciated the subtleties of the RS more than I did. We all perceive these "advantages" differently. I know I'm in the minority here but I personally find the LWFW on the RS to be an annoyance for street driving, due to the chatter. I'm not here to convince anyone that the base and RS are equal. Of course they are not. I simply think anyone looking to "upgrade" owes it to themselves to drive both cars back to back and then decide for themselves whether or not the additional cost is justified. Ultimately that will be a personal decision for each person. There is no right or wrong.
Drive safely, spend wisely.
zshecht7792 (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 02:59 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Lol listen to us try and be practical about owning an RS… if ya got the itch it may not be curable with our reasoning! It’s a beautiful car… and at the end of the day how you feel when your driving matters more than anything.

Btw do those wheels have a gold hue to them, maybe it’s the lighting? I always wanted to try that color combo with a light bronzed/silver wheel. I’ve seen guys do that…there was a set in Seattle last year for sale.

Pretty sure that steering wheel has been re-Alcantara with the $100 ‘thick” upgrade from Dallas custom, the factory thick option was an all black wheel.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 09-04-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-04-2022, 06:04 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
Lol listen to us try and be practical about owning an RS… if ya got the itch it may not be curable with our reasoning! It’s a beautiful car… and at the end of the day how you feel when your driving matters more than anything.

Btw do those wheels have a gold hue to them, maybe it’s the lighting? I always wanted to try that color combo with a light bronzed/silver wheel. I’ve seen guys do that…there was a set in Seattle last year for sale.

Pretty sure that steering wheel has been re-Alcantara with the $100 ‘thick” upgrade from Dallas custom, the factory thick option was an all black wheel.
Yes...they are white gold. Same color as @Waxer car as I recall. You guys probably remember there was a white/gold 2010 RS with like 4k miles on it, and the guy wanted $220k, and it sat and sat and sat. Until it didn't and he raised it to $240k and I reached out to him and it was GONE. I bought my 2010 GT3 w/ 13k miles and CPO for $126k, right before everything went bonkers.

The fact is I'm very happy. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I could do better with that money. I have a dark blue metallic 2015 GTS cab and dark cars drive me crazy, and after having some MOHs surgery on my head, dropping the top the way I used to is not my gig. I'd like a 911 coupe with PDK for driving in traffic.
Old 09-04-2022, 07:28 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
have you driven an RS? It’s only impressive if you don’t already own/drive a GT3. If I was starting from scratch and looking for a GT3 then of course I would consider an RS over the base, assuming the premium was reasonable. However, I would never lay out extra cash to upgrade from a base to an RS if I already had a base I was happy with. There simply I’m not enough difference between the two for street use. If money is no object and you just want to stroke the ego to have the top model, then by all means go for it. But if you think you’ll get more fun for your money, you’ll most likely be disappointed. Make sure you drive an RS and your car back to back before making any decisions.
I went from 997.1 to 997.2 RS and it was as if they were different cars all together
Old 09-04-2022, 09:54 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I went from 997.1 to 997.2 RS and it was as if they were different cars all together
See, there you go. Everyone will have a different opinion. I don't have enough seat time in a .1 to compare it to a .2RS, but I can tell you that the .2 to .2RS difference was not great to me (on the street) and I actually preferred the base model as it seemed slightly more civilized. I'm sure the story is different on the track where these cars can actually be driven closer to their limits but I don't track GT3s so I can't comment on that. I'll take guys like @audipwr1 at their word since they clearly have more track time than I do. Again, all I'm saying is drive them all before you decide to part with your money, and be honest with yourself about how you will actually use the car. Sometimes what's better on paper is not better for you. And to be clear, if money was no object I'd have an RS (and a 4.0) in my garage as well. Unfortunately, I have to spend wisely.
Wonderdan (09-05-2022)

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...