The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 11:50 AM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
For me, it depends on the specifics of the car:
If the car has less than 15k miles, I would pay less for one with pinned lines (and perhaps even pass on it all together). Any engine out service presents the risk of something not being done properly during the engine removal process, or the pinning itself. Same with LSD rebuild, but to a much lesser degree. If I'm buying a low mileage car, originality is of most importance. Any major repair work on low mileage cars is a red-flag for me, signaling that the car may have been tracked or had some other issue.
If the car has 15-40k miles on it, I would apply neither a discount nor a premium. In this mileage range I think the potential benefits of the "upgrades" equal the potential risks of something not having been done properly during the procedure.
If the car has 40k+ miles, or I planned on tracking it, I would pay a premium for having these upgrades done. In this range, I care much less about originality, and the car is entering a mileage range where these components have a higher likelihood of failure. Having this preventive maintenance done outweighs the risks that something wasn't done properly, and in most cases the car will have enough miles since the service that you would know if any issues arose from an improperly performed service.
My car has 10,000 miles and I had a full engine out service and replaced absolutely everything that I could with the engine out and pinned the lines…. My car has never seen anything but grocery runs and trips to cars and coffee….I think you have to buy the owner and how meticulous and how much they believe in preventative maintenance, just because lines are pinned doesn’t mean it’s necessarily seen heavy track etc.

i have a meticulous independent who I have assisted in dropping an engine and honestly it was not that difficult he had a lot of tricks that made the job smooth and I was very comfortable with how we put everything together.

I get your point About wanting everything original but now that these cars are approaching 15 years old you have to take into consideration preventative maintenance…And we all know that the weak point in the design has been these glued coolant fittings/ lines

Last edited by osu s2k; 09-30-2021 at 11:55 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by osu s2k:
Burren (09-30-2021), cbracerx (09-30-2021), Robocop305 (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 12:06 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
NO clue who it is, or why they are doing it.

First thing that came to my mind was - selling them in other country. Again - just speculative guess.
I was thinking the same… shipping them in bulk to UAE. Reduces the number in the US…he’s setting his own pricing.
Old 09-30-2021, 12:43 PM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by osu s2k
My car has 10,000 miles and I had a full engine out service and replaced absolutely everything that I could with the engine out and pinned the lines…. My car has never seen anything but grocery runs and trips to cars and coffee….I think you have to buy the owner and how meticulous and how much they believe in preventative maintenance, just because lines are pinned doesn’t mean it’s necessarily seen heavy track etc.

i have a meticulous independent who I have assisted in dropping an engine and honestly it was not that difficult he had a lot of tricks that made the job smooth and I was very comfortable with how we put everything together.

I get your point About wanting everything original but now that these cars are approaching 15 years old you have to take into consideration preventative maintenance…And we all know that the weak point in the design has been these glued coolant fittings/ lines
I respect your point of view and it's certainly your right to maintain your car as you see fit. But have you ever heard of a non-tracked GT3 with less than 10k miles blowing coolant lines? All else being equal, I would always take the original car over one that had any work done, even if it meant I would have to deal with the expenses myself at some point in the future.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:07 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 97 Posts

My first thought was a broker and bidding for clients. No one knows really

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
I was thinking the same… shipping them in bulk to UAE. Reduces the number in the US…he’s setting his own pricing.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:13 PM
milazzo_997tt
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by osu s2k

I think most here would agree with you. Unfortunately this is a double edge sword. Many of us buy these cars with no intention of ever selling. With that in mind, we want the cars absolutely perfect and want to address any and all issues. I was the same way. Bought my car with 12K miles and in the same year had the engine dropped, lines pinned and went deep down the rabbit hole of while you're in there stuff. If you haven't addressed these things then a buyer often wants to factor in the cost to pin the lines. If you have done them then it begs the question of why you felt it was necessary or if you tracked it. I would much prefer to buy a car from someone who was **** enough about maintaining the car to get this done. When I owned a 997 turbo the constant worry was the coolant lines and spun cam shaft. Didn't want the same worry when driving my GT3.

Last edited by milazzo_997tt; 09-30-2021 at 04:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
osu s2k (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 01:47 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
I respect your point of view and it's certainly your right to maintain your car as you see fit. But have you ever heard of a non-tracked GT3 with less than 10k miles blowing coolant lines? All else being equal, I would always take the original car over one that had any work done, even if it meant I would have to deal with the expenses myself at some point in the future.
Some owners just want to do the coolant lines preventively.
The following 2 users liked this post by Robocop305:
osu s2k (09-30-2021), Seedster (10-04-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 03:14 PM
//steve\\
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Robocop305
Some owners just want to do the coolant lines preventively.
If it wasn't done I would. It would be on my list of things to do within the first 6 months regardless of mileage if it had not been done. It's like rod bearings in the S65. Just do it, be done with it, and enjoy the car.
Robocop305 (09-30-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 03:36 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
If it wasn't done I would. It would be on my list of things to do within the first 6 months regardless of mileage if it had not been done. It's like rod bearings in the S65. Just do it, be done with it, and enjoy the car.
Ummm, no. Actually nothing like rod bearings. If the rod bearings fail, you granade your motor and are stuck with a $35k bill to buy a new one or a $15k bill for a used one from a salvage. If your coolant hose fitting comes loose, you are stuck with a tow bill, and the same exact expense you would have had if you upgraded the components pro-actively.
There are way more GT3s that have not had a coolant line failure than there are those that did. These cars are a decade old now. Statistically, the odds are in your favor that you will not experience a failure.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:40 PM
zshecht7792
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 151 Posts

I can't comment on my 9k mile car since I just got it. However, my father has had his turbo now since like 2011 and thankfully it has not happened to him. I totally think it is worth doing but there are plenty of cars where it has never happened. yet (ha). It is a pretty expensive job and not everyone is going to want to spend 6-10k on it right after spending a ton of money on a car. Could be wrong but that is what my gut is telling me.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:44 PM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Literally had them done on all of my S65 cars for no other reason than you just have to. People like to go back and forth about wether or not its a real issue etc but I agree with you. Just do it and be done.

That being said, I don't plan on tracking my car but when everything was out for misc. maintenance and new clutch I opted to have the coolant lines pinned.
For no other reason then if I were to sell the car and show that the motor has been out and didn't do the coolant lines...well that just doesn't make much sense.

I might question that as a perspective owner so I just did it. If my motor didn't come out for other things, I wouldn't have had them done alone.

Last edited by ljmartyre; 09-30-2021 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:51 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 612 Posts

Yea the question is only really important to some of us with low enough miles that we may now question driving the car like it’s supposed to be driven, I just don’t know if I’ll be completely relaxed. So why even pin the car for non-track use… I’m not afraid of losing coolant on the freeway I’m afraid of the embarrassment of losing it on the track lol… I think of it as peeing my pants as an adult.

One accidental miss shift of a lvl 4 could drop it $20k… I know stupid things to think about, but the GT4 and gt3 cup cars are still super fun on track.

so back to the for sale thread take away, if you don’t track leave it alone so you can sell it to the picky bidders also.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 09-30-2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:33 PM
limitedslip
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenGT3
Ummm, no. Actually nothing like rod bearings. If the rod bearings fail, you granade your motor and are stuck with a $35k bill to buy a new one or a $15k bill for a used one from a salvage. If your coolant hose fitting comes loose, you are stuck with a tow bill, and the same exact expense you would have had if you upgraded the components pro-actively.
Dumping coolant over the rear tires half way through a turn on a spirited mountain drive could result in much worse than a tow bill.
The following 7 users liked this post by limitedslip:
GM.RS (10-01-2021), ljmartyre (09-30-2021), Mark FM (09-30-2021), Robocop305 (09-30-2021), rrichmondd (09-30-2021), Seedster (10-04-2021), zshecht7792 (09-30-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-30-2021, 05:49 PM
KPJ
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2007 997.1 GT3 listing on Car Gurus

New listing without photos or price at this point, but pretty low miles, so might be worth calling the dealer now given the current market, rather than waiting for those remaining details to be added

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?entitySelectingHelper.selec tedEntity=c3396&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c25095&distance=50 000&zip=95070&transmission=M&newSince=1632974400000&trimNames=GT3&trimNa mes=GT3+Coupe+RWD&trimNames=GT3+RS+Coupe+RWD&utm_term=2021-09-30&utm_campaign=1-1_NEWSLETTER_LS&utm_medium=email&utm_source=dealfinderSubscription&utm_c ontent=listingSampleListingsViewDetailsCTA#listing=313615404

I know of one recently that had 4 parties vying for it at a similar point, and was sold before the dealer even had a chance to finish the add description and add photos (60 mins after partial add went live)

Last edited by KPJ; 09-30-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:59 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by limitedslip
Dumping coolant over the rear tires half way through a turn on a spirited mountain drive could result in much worse than a tow bill.
You're right. Also hitting an elk is a possibility.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:01 PM
GlenGT3
Racer

That's a nice one.

VIN: WP0AC29937S792488 Price: $117,315.00 Exterior: Meteor Grey Metallic Interior: Special Leather Black Warranty Start: March 29, 2007

BASE Porsche Base Model 509 Fire Extinguisher 78 Black Full Leather 810 Floor Mats - Interior Color 9Q Meteor Grey Metallic CDZ Gear Lever Trim Leather CGA Headlight Cleaner Cvr Ext.Clr CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo P01 Adaptive Sport Seats P74 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package XD9 Rims and Caps - Exterior Color XPA Thicker Steering Wheel-Leather XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest XSX Seat Belts - Guards Red XXZ Foot Rest Aluminum
Robocop305 (09-30-2021)

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...