Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 01:31 AM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Cho
this car is back for sale at another dealer. They should be getting this in by the weekend.
VIN # WP0AC2A96AS783495

FYI - it was wholesaled for $119K at Manheim Pittsburgh on 4/21, which is more than what Wright Hyundai's co-owner was asking for it when he was trying to sell it at their Hyundai dealer in Wexford, PA.

4/21/21 $119,000* 10,151 - - 6CY/M Blue Regular Northeast Pittsburgh.

What are they asking for it now? Hopefully they know what they bought ... lol. I am confident this car is beat to **** as virtually all of the 10K miles are track miles. The dealer owner's kid is a pro racing driver so he may have "trained" on it as well.

Last edited by lawrence1; 04-28-2021 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:37 AM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ascend
What do you guys feel about buying RS 4.0 now?

Should I time the market? Or just get one if I can get my hands on one. Market is crazy with overflowing money but I didnt even get a penny from the government... 🥺
How exactly would you time the market? I am very interested in learning more about this!
Old 04-28-2021, 02:02 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 690 Likes on 374 Posts

Should I time the market? Or just get one if I can get my hands on one. Market is crazy with overflowing money but I didnt even get a penny from the government... 🥺
I would go test drive one first if you can and see if you think it is really worth it. imo you crazy at that level to not just go buy a CGT tbh
The following users liked this post:
Booth9999 (05-01-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 07:26 AM
Joe Cho
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence1
VIN # WP0AC2A96AS783495

FYI - it was wholesaled for $119K at Manheim Pittsburgh on 4/21, which is more than what Wright Hyundai's co-owner was asking for it when he was trying to sell it at their Hyundai dealer in Wexford, PA.

What are they asking for it now? Hopefully they know what they bought ... lol. I am confident this car is beat to **** as virtually all of the 10K miles are track miles. The dealer owner's kid is a pro racing driver so he may have "trained" on it as well.
rep didn't disclose price as they're waiting for it to go through their servicing shop (once the car gets there).
Old 04-28-2021, 08:27 AM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 840 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Cho
rep didn't disclose price as they're waiting for it to go through their servicing shop (once the car gets there).
That poor car has been for sale forever it seems and looks beat on hard.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:00 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 530 Likes on 349 Posts

I know of cars trading on a $250,000 spread between examples.
How would you plan on timing the 4.0 market?
Old 04-28-2021, 10:22 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by JS
I know of cars trading on a $250,000 spread between examples.
How would you plan on timing the 4.0 market?
I meant waiting like an idiot until market crashes lol. Wonder if it will ever crash.

Seems like nice examples go for mid 500k now.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:23 AM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
I would go test drive one first if you can and see if you think it is really worth it. imo you crazy at that level to not just go buy a CGT tbh
I dont think its worth 500k+ Better bang for the buck with 3.8 RS... but it is the ultimate 997.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:41 AM
RallyeChris
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

I meant waiting like an idiot until market crashes lol. Wonder if it will ever crash.

Seems like nice examples go for mid 500k now.
There's been a thread over on Ferrarichat going since 2013, predicting the collapse of the "Vintage" Ferrari market after the big run-up in 2010-2012. It hasn't happened yet...

Yes, there will always be ups/down in these "collectable car markets." But, I think a lot of Porsche models that have seen tremendous growth over the past 3-4 years are going to maintain these current levels of valuation for many years to come. Sure, we may see a 5-10% adjustment up/down from year to year, season to season. But, the general trend will be up, IMO, over the next 10-15 years. The Ferrari's being discussed in the Ferrarichat thread soared in 2010-2012. Many examples have come down maybe 10-15%, but nowhere near the pre-2010-2012 levels. And I believe our coveted Porsche's of recent success will follow that model.

Regardless, I keep telling myself I've bought my last Porsche. We'll see how that goes...
The following 2 users liked this post by RallyeChris:
jreifler (05-02-2021), Robocop305 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 11:50 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 470 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by 1louisvilleky
Also the 997.1 and the 991.2RS I have all of these cars right now, I have lived the dream, I will say 😬
Thought you sold the yellow 997 also, and the black 996? Do you ever keep a GT3 around? The RS you sold was just bought a couple months ago.

Last edited by switchcars; 04-28-2021 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:24 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 577 Likes on 258 Posts

People waiting to "time the market" are the first people to freak out and look for cover anytime there is a market correction.

Anyone who can comfortably afford a $550k car is going to see their net worth shrink by a lot more than $250k if they plan on waiting until they can find a good example for $300k, so what difference does it make?
The following 6 users liked this post by atlrvr:
997rs4.0 (04-28-2021), Hansel (04-28-2021), RallyeChris (04-28-2021), RAudi Driver (04-29-2021), samwise (04-28-2021), switchcars (04-28-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-28-2021, 01:07 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by lawrence1
VIN # WP0AC2A96AS783495

I went through this car pretty thoroughly, I ended up finding a garage queen for not much more $... they said the were going to throw it into one of their wholesales for 90-100k if I didn't buy it. It was tracked by the dad at his sons events, who drives the GT3R in IMSA. I have all the info, maintenance records, pics, video walk arounds if someone needs it...

A few things... the airbag light is on...likely because the GT2 buckets are not stock and they installed without battery disconnect, or they removed the fuse. I don't think it's as beat up as you'd think because they did meticulous maintenance on it... it kinda looks like the Porsche dealer ripped them off by 'replacing' anything that even remotely looked worn. Every major weakness in the 7.2 was replaced within the last 5k miles, LSD, pinned lines, clutch/flywheel etc. He ran water in it during events and drained/replaced w/anti-freeze consistently... so seems they were doing all the right things.

I almost bought it to flip... because if you put stock wheels and center locks back on it and a little paint correction... could be a good car in a more rare color. Now that I bought Bucket seats for $8k and doing my LSD and pinning my lines etc for $7,000 in hindsight this really was a great buy.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 04-28-2021 at 01:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wonderdan:
Elliotw44 (04-28-2021), lawrence1 (04-28-2021), Robocop305 (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 01:52 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by atlrvr
People waiting to "time the market" are the first people to freak out and look for cover anytime there is a market correction.

Anyone who can comfortably afford a $550k car is going to see their net worth shrink by a lot more than $250k if they plan on waiting until they can find a good example for $300k, so what difference does it make?

True story. No need to time market. For stocks and cars.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:57 PM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
I went through this car pretty thoroughly, I ended up finding a garage queen for not much more $... they said the were going to throw it into one of their wholesales for 90-100k if I didn't buy it. It was tracked by the dad at his sons events, who drives the GT3R in IMSA. I have all the info, maintenance records, pics, video walk arounds if someone needs it...

A few things... the airbag light is on...likely because the GT2 buckets are not stock and they installed without battery disconnect, or they removed the fuse. I don't think it's as beat up as you'd think because they did meticulous maintenance on it... it kinda looks like the Porsche dealer ripped them off by 'replacing' anything that even remotely looked worn. Every major weakness in the 7.2 was replaced within the last 5k miles, LSD, pinned lines, clutch/flywheel etc. He ran water in it during events and drained/replaced w/anti-freeze consistently... so seems they were doing all the right things.

I almost bought it to flip... because if you put stock wheels and center locks back on it and a little paint correction... could be a good car in a more rare color. Now that I bought Bucket seats for $8k and doing my LSD and pinning my lines etc for $7,000 in hindsight this really was a great buy.
I actually saved your detailed post about this car. So thanks for sharing with the community. As I was saving up for my GT3 I was planning to give an offer on this car. In the end the car was removed from the market when I was shopping. But I agree with the laundry list of work done to the car I think it was a deal as well for a driver's perspective. Let's see what they list it for now.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:26 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wonderdan

Good info. I have some of that info on the car as well. From my end, I am purely speculating because I haven't seen the car in person so my posts should be taken with a grain of salt. Not sure if you have touched the car or not, so you may be right and the car could be minty, although I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that it's far from it, in reality. In life, and in efficient markets such as the GT3 market, there is typically always a reason something doesn't transact within a reasonable amount of time, when given maximum exposure. I think overall, the car was priced appropriately for what it was, assuming the drivetrain was in good shape.

That said, I don't subscribe to the notion that 10k track miles is no big deal because it was maintained. 10k track miles is a ton of track miles, maintained or not. I see that folks here are also not worried about buying press cars, because those are also maintained. Any other manufacturer, people run from press cars and driving program/school cars, for good reason. They are beat to ****, day in and day out. To each his own but IMO, there is no free lunch, whether it's a GT3 or anything else, wear and tear goes up exponentially when you operate a car in a road course/track environment, mechanically and cosmetically. Yes, I know ... Gt3S aRe bUlLetPrOFF, NoThinG tO WoRrY AbOUt yO!!!1

It's also got some mods that would only appeal to a certain buyer, yet for these cars, we know those buyers are out there, but none of them bought it. What gives? It would've been an absolute bargain for someone looking for a track prepped GT3, and yet no takers in 3 years. I suspect there is likely a reason this car was for sale for three years, advertised nationwide on all the usual car websites, and ended up getting wholesaled. I guarantee you that didn't happen by accident or because it wasn't priced appropriately, OR because they're not good at selling cars. These guys own multiple franchise dealerships, one of them being Lotus of Pittsburgh. I find it hard to fathom that none of their Lotus clientele would've seen it as a good value proposition in the three years it's been for sale. Probably more to this story than meets the eye. I think whoever considers this car would be well served to get leak down and compression tests done on the car to properly assess the condition of the engine. It may be like new, or it may be worn out, no way to really know without doing some proper due diligence. Doug at Switchcars obviously passed on it, even though it's a unique color, low mileage, and in his neck of the woods. Why?

The airbag issue is probably not as simple as a reset, because this car has obviously been at the Porsche dealer multiple times so they could've easily reset it if it was that simple. There is no fuse for the airbags but it's probably nothing insanely complicated to remediate. This wouldn't worry me too much, personally. Looking forward to seeing where it ends up. I'm sure they're going to price it high.

Last edited by lawrence1; 04-28-2021 at 04:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale Thread...