39.66%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

COTA 2/1-3 ultimate DE Cup participant list

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM
dcrooke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P.S. eyeing up the AP adapater kit to 390mm 2012+ size brakes; love dive bombing, and it seems to be necessary to get point bys from Beemer's
Old 02-05-2013, 04:59 PM
TrackToyz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcrooke
P.S. eyeing up the AP adapater kit to 390mm 2012+ size brakes; love dive bombing, and it seems to be necessary to get point bys from Beemer's
David, you need to go w2w racing.

Seems to me that you simply enjoy collecting point-bys. That's not what DE is about.

Like Mark said...this is not a race.

Now, hanging together around the track with a group of equalish cars/driver that know each others' traits and skills is a fine thing, as is wanting to run all by yourself to experience the track at the limit (my personal fave).

Instead, you seem to get your kicks by passing people. That's what w2w is.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

^^^ THIS ^^^
Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackToyz
Originally Posted by dcrooke

Seems to me that you simply enjoy collecting point-bys. That's not what DE is about.

Now, hanging together around the track with a group of equalish cars/driver that know each others' traits and skills is a fine thing, as is wanting to run all by yourself to experience the track at the limit (my personal fave).

Bingo

I pick up my race car Thursday
Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
Bingo

I pick up my rusty bucket of unreliable hard to drive air cooled bolts Thursday
Fixed it for you
Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM
dcrooke
Intermediate

Actually, let me clarify .... If find it easy to believe that @TrackToyz could do a 2:28 in my car on the Dunlops. Me, OTOH ....
Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

He's a good wheel man for sure.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 PM
dcrooke
Intermediate

Default No race, just fast please :)

Originally Posted by TrackToyz

Actually, I wanted to run a bunch of smooth, long sessions and try to get in a rhythm and shave off some time, but the traffic in red made that impractical. At DE's I most enjoy following a more skilled driver and / or slightly quicker car and trying to learn from them. I don't enjoy point bys, they are a necessity of DE's.

I promised myself not to get into competitive motor sport again, it's addictive and nearly caused me to fail grad school (remember your sage advice to me about obsessing over the Spokes forum a couple of years ago

I've always been a rally guy, esp road rally in the UK, and into the whole seat of the pants style of driving at 7/10th's on less than perfect information about the road ahead. The GT-R's incredible stability lends itself perfectly to this, and it's always been my dream car. I bought simply in order to posess one, and I track and Solo the GT-R just because that's how people play here

My goal this year is to really kick the learning up a notch, taking the Audi to DWA and TDE events - it's a better learning car as its a lot slower with less electronics, and as a bonus it's slow enough that you're not constantly get stuck in traffic at a DE. I will also do part of the Spokes calendar in F125. But it's all for fun, play and learning, and I care not for the time sheets.

I've watched your CRX video and I do have a couple of questions to ask over a beer about lines
Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,234 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Bingo

You're going to LOVE it.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-05-2013, 06:45 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts

Had to leave at noon Sunday, so I was hoping to break 2:30 before I left. Started at the front of the group in my last run session, so I had laps and laps with a totally clear track. Here is a three lap video, as I ran 2:31.3, 2:30.6, 2:29.9 (Yayyy!). Left happy!

Lots of time lost being late to commit to throttle in 1-2, 9-10, and 16-17-18. Overbrake/too slow in 3-4-5-6-7 (and probably 8). Clueless on the best way through 13-14-15. I did drive the middle section of the straights perfectly, though, holding my right foot down extra hard.

Originally Posted by RS77
Does anyone have a sense as to how much time gain the Hoosiers or other slicks would add over a street/track tire like an MPSC at COTA? Thanks
I was on MPSS first session Saturday, best was 2:38.5, switched to Michelin Blue slicks second session, ran 2:33.1. I should note that the tires had no effect; I had just suddenly become a much better driver.

Originally Posted by paver
Damn, just looking at the facility as a whole, COTA makes even Barber look bad. Unbelievable.
This was the third F1 track I have had the chance to drive, the others were Nurburg GP track and Spa. Because we do not have dedicated F1 tracks in the U.S., most do no know just how fancy they are. The performance standard is not just to be good or excellent, but to be the best in the world. I do no play golf, but I think it is like public golf course = your local track, local country club course = Laguna Seca or Barber, Augusta = F1.

Originally Posted by zweebach
.... We needed a way to re-organize the run groups after the first day.
A great idea, actually Have not driven with MVP before, but spoke with veterans. They said he is pretty choosy about who runs. This event had a lot of new-to-MVP drivers, who were put in groups based on how good they SAID they were ("I drive flat out"). If we had reorganized after a few sessions, would have gone a lot smoother.

It was noted that there were no issues with TDE event two weeks ago. They ONLY allowed repeat customers to register, so they knew what to expect.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Nice driving, Jim!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:53 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Nice video. Which car were you in and did we meet?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Bingo

You're going to LOVE it.
First svra race is end of month

Then doing vintage race day before 12 hour Sebring
Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nice driving, Jim!
Thanks, Dave. Sorry you were not able to make it, would have enjoyed some extra coaching! I know the folks at TWS were happy to have you stay, but their gain was our loss....

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Nice video. Which car were you in and did we meet?
I was in the Yellow group, in the very distinctive white 2007 GT3. No, not that one, the other one. No, not that one either....

We did not get a chance to meet - I was directed to the DECup area, and came over to the toterhome to say hello, but all the drivers had vamoosed. Nobody was left but a bunch of Playboy models putting suntan lotion on each other, so I went back to the garage and took a nap...

I am a big fan of Road Atlanta / Barber / Sebring, so I am sure I can catch you guys soon on your local tracks. Most of my laps are at TWS, so give a shout next time you are headed back to our diamond in the rough....
Old 02-05-2013, 07:42 PM
jenk12m
Banned

i believe i saw your white .1 when you had the slicks on it, but never got a chance to catch you outside of the car

Quick Reply: COTA 2/1-3 ultimate DE Cup participant list