Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

[quote=996FLT6;10196658]
Originally Posted by mooty

That BMW racecar at TH didn't even flinch when you're front bumper was perpendicular and 3 feet away from driver door going thru t1- hahaha. Mike
i think he was in shock, seeing me dive bombing you and trying to T bone him.
remind me not to pass you again. you cause me trouble.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I have no issues with LG anymore. I traded RS for a camaro. We're good.
did you get the ZL1 or regular one? Manual or automatic? Least you won't have to worry about coolant hoses. Maybe just the heat soak problems.

Seriously though Lou was right next to me in the garage. Seemed like a nice guy in person. I was not on the track with him though so can't pass judgement on that! I always gave him a point by when he was walking behind me though.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:03 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
LOL good one Tal. I may not be the fastest drover, best was a 2:38.3 on NT01's, but I'll bet I have the fastest point by arm in the group. unless you are LG then I will point you buy and drag race you up the front straight.

Peter
I'll put my point by arm up against yours anytime Peter. My arm is fast no matter what type of tires I am running.

Tal
Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Rene
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZM6z...ature=youtu.be

This is from Sundays final green group session we were cut short due to a SRF stalling on the back strait. We planned on swapping spots 1/2 way through we had multiple gopro's rolling black flag screwed us.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Nice, Rene!!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I posted a thread and two videos in the 996 GT3 forum. Not as fast as you guys but still had great fun.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM
tford
Advanced

"The guy from CA seemed to know what he was talking about, and it's easily believable that he ran a 2:28 on street rubber. I don't have his info but I can get it and find out."

Hey guys, I'm one of the those guys from California that was running one of the other GTR's. We got the last spot off the waitlist, so the three of us that shared the car over the weekend. It's my friend's car, and after seeing all the RS's there, I sorely missed not having my '11 RS there. What a sight to see so many RS's in one place. Anyhow with respect to the GTR, it has had some work done to it. Jotech tune, coil overs, 1/2 cage. We were running street tires--we had a tire leak on the left rear on Friday and only tire we could get locally was a 315 (vs. stock 285), so rear tires were much bigger than stock and made the car push more. We were just glad to be out there running. I'd like to say we were those guys running 2:28's, but on clean laps, were in the 2:34's.

Great weekend, nice to meet many of you.
-tford
Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Screamin Z
4th Gear

Hey guys thought id jump in and say hello.. I was there this weekend in a yellow C6Z.

here is a copy of the post i made on the corvette forum. It was a great weekend and good to get to know some fellow track junkies!

The car does have some suspension upgrades Engine upgrades but stock ish brakes. And these brakes never felt good all weekend. During the 3rd day I found out why. One caliper had a stuck piston. The other had a leaking Banjo fitting!!! So that ended our weekend.

The surgery Daniel is speaking of is the ring gear on the flywheel for the starter. It came off the flywheel! Wouldnt have thought that these were "pressed" on but it appears that it was. So after running to a local hardware store we got the tools to remove the ring gear. It was a push start car after this.

The track is beyond what words can describe. Only issue.. No GRIP!! It is both high speed in the straights and very technical. High horsepower cars are tested through the infield esses. With age more grip will come and more fun shall be had.

This video is of the red run group on my stock sized Hoosiers. As you can see the traffic is crazy.

After this day it was time to slap on the Finspeed wheels and Michelin slicks. These tires picked up 7-8 seconds alone. Quite an improvement. The 2:20 Isnt a myth. But im predicting that there is still another 3-4 seconds that could be picked up. Only if traffic would allow it. I have the lap data but cant put files on here.

Over all I had a blast and did not want to leave. Plus the weather there compared to Missouri was pretty damn nice.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

[quote=mooty;10195183]
Originally Posted by dcrooke
i have no issues with slower driver or slower cars if they understand the art of point by. after a lap, i start using my front bumper.....
[quote=mooty;10198237]
Originally Posted by 996FLT6

i think he was in shock, seeing me dive bombing you and trying to T bone him.
remind me not to pass you again. you cause me trouble.
You woulda nailed him if I divebombed him to make a pass. You woulda followed me in. BMW racecar was already turning in. Man wished I had video "it was an oh **** moment"- hahaha. Mike
Old 02-05-2013, 02:10 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin Z
Hey guys thought id jump in and say hello.. I was there this weekend in a yellow C6Z.
You were fast out there. We needed a way to re-organize the run groups after the first day.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:35 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Are you giving him point by cues? Sorry I had to miss dinner saturday!
Peter was showing him the new hoveround scooter he's contemplating

Originally Posted by dcrooke

My GT-R is essentially bone stock[1] 480bhp and I did run a best time of 2:28.6, but that was on 295/680-19 Pirelli slicks, albeit they are both used[2] and the hard compound; they still look barely touched after 100 laps of COTA on a 1870kg car[3] with street camber setup and VDC on [4]
"Essentially" stock? What does that mean?

And how does one use the word "stock" and pirelli slicks in the same sentence?

Originally Posted by tford
"The guy from CA seemed to know what he was talking about, and it's easily believable that he ran a 2:28 on street rubber. I don't have his info but I can get it and find out."

Hey guys, I'm one of the those guys from California that was running one of the other GTR's. We got the last spot off the waitlist, so the three of us that shared the car over the weekend. It's my friend's car, and after seeing all the RS's there, I sorely missed not having my '11 RS there. What a sight to see so many RS's in one place. Anyhow with respect to the GTR, it has had some work done to it. Jotech tune, coil overs, 1/2 cage. We were running street tires--we had a tire leak on the left rear on Friday and only tire we could get locally was a 315 (vs. stock 285), so rear tires were much bigger than stock and made the car push more. We were just glad to be out there running. I'd like to say we were those guys running 2:28's, but on clean laps, were in the 2:34's.

Great weekend, nice to meet many of you.
-tford
Apparently it is not as easily believable to run a 228 on factory treaded street tires
Old 02-05-2013, 02:44 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

I have to say I'm still really impressed with Andy's aka Tracktoyz mongrel CRX. Neat car and some great driving. Well except for the part where he went all Hunt for Red October and tried to torpedo me in T20 in an effort to not lose any ground on an awkward pass

The CRX was a great example of what you can do with proper power to weight ratios. 1900 pound car with 220hp TSX motor was blistering fast down the straight till about 130.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:02 PM
TrackToyz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deputydog95
I have to say I'm still really impressed with Andy's aka Tracktoyz mongrel CRX. Neat car and some great driving. Well except for the part where he went all Hunt for Red October and tried to torpedo me in T20 in an effort to not lose any ground on an awkward pass
hey now...don't make me edit together a "Dog goes Drifting" highlights reel from when i was following you for several laps.

But yeah, that was one of those moments of indecision on several people's parts (not yours) that coulda ended badly. So I took one for the team. No biggie.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TrackToyz
hey now...don't make me edit together a "Dog goes Drifting" highlights reel from when i was following you for several laps.

But yeah, that was one of those moments of indecision on several people's parts (not yours) that coulda ended badly. So I took one for the team. No biggie.
I use Fast and Furious/Tokyo Drift as my training video

Still managed a 231.1 with my early 1970's 911 driving style
Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 PM
dcrooke
Intermediate

Default Yes slicks, but really no mods - all about the cost of tracking. Also that lap

Originally Posted by deputydog95

"Essentially" stock? What does that mean?

And how does one use the word "stock" and pirelli slicks in the same sentence?

Apparently it is not as easily believable to run a 228 on factory treaded street tires
It is for me, but I've driven a GT-R. The car is incredibly well balanced in fast sweeping turns and transitions like the esses, which makes up for its ponderous bulk and the fact that I had not nearly enough tire on it.

When I say "essentially stock" I was referring to the rest of the car; a GT-R weighs closer to the weight of a Cayenne than a 911, and it eats consumables on the track, and the OEM stuff is pretty expensive - I have 3 minor mods, all of which were intended make the car cheaper to track, not faster:

1. OEM 20" Dunlop run flat summer street tires are $550 fitted - each. And the fronts would last 6-8 sessions at most. The used Pirelli hard compound slicks I had at CotA were $100 each plus postage and mounting, and they will last another 30-50 sessions based on COTA wear. They also grip a bit better, 1.45g vs. 1.20g for street rubber, but not as well as sticky slicks like the Michelins the Corvettes were setting insane times on this weekend and at TDE ... on the Nissan I'd expect 1.7g+ from the Michelins, given that the R100's and the softer Pirelli's are each good for 1.6g.

2. Gearbox oil cooler - the Nissan gearbox oil has a semi-syntheic base which, unlike the Pentosyn in the PDK, can't take getting really hot. The Nissan tranny cooler is a heat exchanger with the engine coolant, I have a thermostatic switch to send the gearbox oil through an additionla oil-air cooler in the FL wing. Pre-requisite for serious tracking in any GT-R, does not make the car faster and actually adds 30 lbs.

3. Brakes - Nissan marks up the OEM Brembo stuff something fierce (think 911 GT2RS carbon brake prices) so we all use different stuff. I put in harder pads as I've done in every car I've owned (Carbotech XP12) and I've had to replace the front discs at 18k miles due to cracking, use the standard "budget" GT-R track day fare of AP Racing J hooks in the original 390mm size.

Note things you would do if modding a car for track day use which are absent:

Camber - is stock -1.5 deg on the front, it pushes like hell if you're late turning in; look at Andy Hollis' video of the CRX through the esses and you will understand the value of front camber
Suspension - is also stock, just using the "R" program on the Bilstein damptronic's
Exhaust - factory one is pretty restrictive, you get another 40 bhp just by switching out the midpipe with no mapping changes
Turbo - only runs 12 psi stock, even the new model. They take an 18psi dual map 93 / E85 tune beautifully, ~640bhp and ~760bhp flywheel respectively with midpipe, map and no other mods

What I actually plan to do next:

Half cage - planned for this year, but need to get my trailer hitch on first
Proper track seats and belts - after cage. GTR stock seats are sh*t for lateral support and are intended for crusing or tossing out
HANS - because I like being alive. See belts.

I love the big fat warranty and fact that if I ever break a tranny on the track, it's on Nissan's dime, they are being as decent as Porsche / Ferrari about sensible mods (my dealer does my mod installs but no drivetrain mods for me for a long time. Need to learn to drive, not add power

Also, here's the 2:28.7 ..... embedder doesn't support YouTube time offsets, so click over to 7:40 or so ....

Enjoyed seeing everyone on the track and mixing it with the shiny GT3's and learning with y'all

Last edited by dcrooke; 02-05-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: COTA 2/1-3 ultimate DE Cup participant list