Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

COTA 2/1-3 ultimate DE Cup participant list

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Evo997
I sure do! Did you happen to see a Green GT3RS with plates K3RMIT? Loved its exhaust. I believe it was a Sharkwerks car.

I think everyone likes the exhaust on the car except my wife.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 PM
TrackToyz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tasman
Are you giving him point by cues? Sorry I had to miss dinner saturday!
I think we were comparing Honey-Do lists from our wives...

You missed a good dinner. I think I'll be eating leftovers for a week...

Lots of beer & wine leftover, too. Not sure how that happened.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackToyz
I think we were comparing Honey-Do lists from our wives...

You missed a good dinner. I think I'll be eating leftovers for a week...

Lots of beer & wine leftover, too. Not sure how that happened.
Too funny. Hopefully your list is almost done. Hope she gets her neck taken care of.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Originally Posted by sstjohn
In fairness to the NT01, I never got anywhere near a clean lap with those on the car. That being said, the Hoosiers made the track fun instead of a battle. I went out in front of the group with only a Cup Car and Track Toyz CRX and we got a number of good laps.
You bring up a good point. When I was running the stock Michelin PS2 tire on my Vette, it was nice, but car still slid around. Then I upgraded to the ZR1-spec sport cup and it had awesome grip for 2 track days and then it went to crap. Even on the 2 great track days I got out of the cups, the tires would still get greasy towards the end of the session and the car would start sliding around. My last session on the Cups, my car was so loose, it wasn't even funny. So not funny, I even slid off the track at MSR Cresson, slid through the wet grass, and jumped over the inside curbing ripping off my factory CF splitter ($1500). Car was otherwise fine luckily, but still made me mad as that was my first and only track damage to date.

Anyway, rambling now, but since I got the slicks, the car is so consistent from the second lap (1st lap warmup) to the very last lap, it's actually easier to drive. If you are sliding, oversteering, rotating, etc. you are doing something wrong because the tire gives huge grip and don't like to slide. When it does slide, it's pretty abrupt, so even intentional trail braking rotation doesn't really help. Tires don't get greasy either.
Slicks slide like Nittos slide like Hoosier slide

You are either at the limit or below the limit of grip

Slicks seem to not overheat as easy

Watched guys all weekend running Hoosier way below grip limit
Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone

Watched guys all weekend running Hoosier way below grip limit
^^This^^

You should know... You KNOW the grip limit.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
werks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like it was a fun time!
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Are you giving him point by cues? Sorry I had to miss dinner saturday!
LOL good one Tal. I may not be the fastest drover, best was a 2:38.3 on NT01's, but I'll bet I have the fastest point by arm in the group. unless you are LG then I will point you buy and drag race you up the front straight.

Peter
Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 PM
CKit
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh boy...

http://www.louforcongress.com
Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Nick... What's your stance on illegal immigration? LG " it's not debatable"
Old 02-04-2013, 11:27 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

I have no issues with LG anymore. I traded RS for a camaro. We're good.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 AM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lou is straight up. That's quite interesting. He built a z06 for me back in the day. Polished? Um no.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:30 AM
dcrooke
Intermediate

Talking Subtle ways to request a point-by

[quote=996FLT6;10196658]
Originally Posted by mooty

That BMW racecar at TH didn't even flinch when you're front bumper was perpendicular and 3 feet away from driver door going thru t1- hahaha. Mike
From me (silver GT-R) or from the 996?

A number of the quicker cars were resorting to going deep down the extra width of asphalt on the inisde at 11 and then more or less stopping in order to get the attention of the car in front who is on the normal line; once they turn in and start looking for their track out and they suddenly see you, the hand invariably comes shooting out of the left hand window. Potter round the apex at 10 mph and roll on by.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 AM
dcrooke
Intermediate

Default Newbie in GT-R did a 2:28, but on slicks

Originally Posted by deputydog95
Hoosiers are cool for setting down amazing lap times, but I still enjoy the thrill of keeping the car under control with the Nitto's. Hoosiers are a lot of fun and they make a great tire, but unless there is a trophy involved, I'd rather stay on R comps for DE's.

I still want to see video of the stock GTR doing 228's on stock tires!!!
Ok, possible confusion here .... there were 3 GT-Rs total:

- some guy from CA in a grey 2010 with a half cage, in advanced
- John Muncey, from Houston, grey 2010, in RED
- me, from Austin, silver 2009, in RED

I went out the very first Friday session on street tires just for a look around at 50% pace, and turned at best a 2:50 ... fronts are new all season, rears new-ish summer, Dunlop runflats.

My GT-R is essentially bone stock[1] 480bhp and I did run a best time of 2:28.6, but that was on 295/680-19 Pirelli slicks, albeit they are both used[2] and the hard compound; they still look barely touched after 100 laps of COTA on a 1870kg car[3] with street camber setup and VDC on [4]

Muncey's car is also stock 485bhp, but slightly tweaked underneath, he has Alcon 410mm brakes, and coilovers of some German flavour. He was running new Hoosier R100s in 295/680-18 and his best lap was a 2:25

The guy from CA seemed to know what he was talking about, and it's easily believable that he ran a 2:28 on street rubber. I don't have his info but I can get it and find out.

BTW, I was really impressed with how fast the GT3RS is in a straight line; I was only keeping up with K3RMIT on the straights because he has an H pattern shifter and I was able to claw back a little distance on gear changes (PDK, btw, is even faster than the GT-R's DCT, just a thought for next time y'all )

[1] transmission cooler; aftermarket pads and front discs
[2] be grateful to our wealthier cousins in the Ferrari challenge
[3] GT-R's fat behind plus full tank plus my own fat behind
[4] at my level of ability, the confidence inspired by the safety net more than makes up for interference from the traction control
Old 02-05-2013, 02:35 AM
dcrooke
Intermediate

Default The Magical Mystery CRX

Originally Posted by TrackToyz
Hankook RS3 on the CRX are a bit better than the PSS on the GT3, but the real answer is a combination of lack of seat time in the P-car, and willingness to take it as close to edge as I am with the disposable CRX. I have 10x invested the GT3 versus the CRX, and no track day insurance, as it is mostly my cone dodger, not primary track toy. And finally, I've done no setup work yet on the GT3. It was very nervous at COTA, though not at TWS or Harris Hill (my home track). Still learning to speak Porsche...

Data logger crapped out on me at TWS. Had to use my iPhone as a lap timer. Shopping now for a whole new video/data system. Tired of my antiques...
Andy is being excruciatingly modest as usual. What he means is he was having a gentle Sunday drive in the nice shiny road car

Sorry to hear that, I had my own dedicated camera crew, we coulda loaned you a GoPro or two :-(
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 AM
dcrooke
Intermediate

Default Bad boys, bad boys, ....

Originally Posted by tgavem
dcrooke - you were a bully the first day. Passed in corners even in places not allowed in the Advance group, blew by red flags, black flags, and passed after checkered flags. I understand your frustration but until somebody pays to you to drive COTA, relax and enjoy. Have fun, why we were there.
The red group did have 5 slow drivers, +3 min on the laps, grid in the back for them and you pass them after 4 laps. Ex, I was exciting 18 at 95mph, while the white and the blue mustangs were doing 65. That is interstate speed!!!! Next time your are behind somebody slow, be productive; hey there are people watching around the track, wonder what they are doing? Flag, they must be cheering me on!! So many pretty colors, wonder what they mean, and also, leave space, look for entry points, apex, throttle application point, references, etc etc.
Luckily I was fast enough that you only passed me once on Sat after you had pitted :-). I also made sure I lined up about four-five cars behind you in the grid.
FYI, my 2005 GT3 hit rev limiter 8100 rpm in 4 th gear on back strait, speedo read 151. :-))))
All the best
Tor
My fellow civilized European, such harsh words I did miss a few flags on Friday, but definitely no passing in the corners, that one I'll blame on John

GT-R was hitting limiter in 5th, also 150-ish with the 19" wheels, could use 6th briefly with a good exit from 11.

Quick Reply: COTA 2/1-3 ultimate DE Cup participant list