Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

COTA 2/1-3 ultimate DE Cup participant list

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Yeah, nothing like throwing in race cars against sub $100k stock street cars with tires and comparing times. We might as well throw in Keith's 2:09 lap with his Radical in there too.

I hope I can run TWS as it's my favorite track besides probably COTA now. Are you going to buy and bring a Cup car or some other race car out there so you can embarrass all of us stock street car guys? That will be fun.
Its not much worse than you comparing your 640 hp car on slicks to 450-500 hp cars mostly on DOT tires now is it.

You won the DE man, congrats. Feel free to join TT where times actually matter and the competition comes prepared.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Its not much worse than you comparing your 640 hp car on slicks to 450-500 hp cars mostly on DOT tires now is it.

You won the DE man, congrats. Feel free to join TT where times actually matter and the competition comes prepared.
Look, here is the background. After the Driver's Edge DE at COTA, SW posted in my thread on Corvetteforum inquiring about how exactly I knew I had run the fastest time that weekend. He then goes on to imply that while he didn't have video or any data acquisition working on his record setting laps some of his buddy's at the track were clocking him at low 2:20's lap times in his GT3 RS. So, he was implying that he may have run the fastest time. I tell him to get video at MVP since he had no proof of his times at the TDE DE.

So as his comments in this thread show, not only did he not get video/lap times at MVP (due to traffic), he doesn't get video/lap times at the PRIVATE TRACK DAY on the Thursday before the 3 day MVP event. What does that say? Not sure, but if the fastest P-car guy here on RL at the MVP event could only run a verified 2:27 on Hoosiers and SW can run low 20's, you guys may need to get some private coaching from him on how to pick up many seconds of time.

I didn't start this and I never said pitting a 640hp car against a 450-500hp car is fair, I just wanted to see video of how a GT3 RS can run low 20's at COTA. I'm still waiting.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:16 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would need slicks and cool temps to get to low 20's
Old 02-07-2013, 06:18 PM
jenk12m
Banned

4forme, where are the TWS vids
Old 02-07-2013, 06:23 PM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are two laps from MVP's red group. This video shows a frequent occurence in that group with a clean lap (2:32.9 in this case) followed by a bit of a parade.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Look, here is the background. After the Driver's Edge DE at COTA, SW posted in my thread on Corvetteforum inquiring about how exactly I knew I had run the fastest time that weekend. He then goes on to imply that while he didn't have video or any data acquisition working on his record setting laps some of his buddy's at the track were clocking him at low 2:20's lap times in his GT3 RS. So, he was implying that he may have run the fastest time. I tell him to get video at MVP since he had no proof of his times at the TDE DE.

So as his comments in this thread show, not only did he not get video/lap times at MVP (due to traffic), he doesn't get video/lap times at the PRIVATE TRACK DAY on the Thursday before the 3 day MVP event. What does that say? Not sure, but if the fastest P-car guy here on RL at the MVP event could only run a verified 2:27 on Hoosiers and SW can run low 20's, you guys may need to get some private coaching from him on how to pick up many seconds of time.

I didn't start this and I never said pitting a 640hp car against a 450-500hp car is fair, I just wanted to see video of how a GT3 RS can run low 20's at COTA. I'm still waiting.
Anyone who claims they went faster than a 2:26 in a GT3 that weekend is smoking some serious crack. On Hoosiers, fastest Randy got was 2:27:7 and there was definitely a 2:26 there. Fastest I ran on r comps was 2:29:00. As far as I know, there was no one faster on Hoosiers than KYROCKS, 4FORME, or IZZONE. Again we are talking about GT3's here only.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No data, no video, no valid.

We went over this at the DE Cup committee 10 years ago when the maturity of Traqmate 1.0 and Sony handycams made video and data possible.

DE Cup Championship at COTA went to Izzone, unless another street car can produce video/data like we do in DE Cup, with a faster time than 2:27.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, I see. When someone says "my friend clocked me at" that should be red flag #1 when the times are questionable red flag #2 when the excuses start flying when asked for verification its really not worth the time. I usually stop listening at b #1. However I see where you are coming from. Its not hard to video the sane spot on the track and clock when the car passes two times.

Put up (video or data) or shutup is my motto.

I thought that guy was driving a corvette that made that claim.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:15 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Low 2:20's would be fast as hell in a gt3. I think mid 2:20's are very doable. On the Sunday morning of TDE event, I was running 2:34's on a green track and not pushing the car. That afternoon I was very high 2:20's. I'm an average driver and my car is still faster than me. That zr1 lap was fast.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jenk12m
4forme, where are the TWS vids
Sorry, no sound on these, realized after this session the batteries in my external mic were dead....

Start of lap2 KY blindly follows Jenks into the weeds and then crosses the track and just barely saves it from going off on the other side before T3. At the start of lap 4 I get as close to rearending Zweebach as I ever care to;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39mLv...ature=youtu.be

at 1:45 KY completes a nice 2 wheel curb hop;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGxP6...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The Greek
Anyone who claims they went faster than a 2:26 in a GT3 that weekend is smoking some serious crack. On Hoosiers, fastest Randy got was 2:27:7 and there was definitely a 2:26 there. Fastest I ran on r comps was 2:29:00. As far as I know, there was no one faster on Hoosiers than KYROCKS, 4FORME, or IZZONE. Again we are talking about GT3's here only.
I think 2:27 is reasonable. KY swears he saw 2:27.5 on his iphone timer (although it didnt register for those 3 laps) after putting a new set of hoosiers on Sunday morning. Given how much faster he was that sesssion even when I was running 2:29's I tend to believe him. So 2:25-27 is within reason.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:24 PM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jenk12m
Thanks for the videos. Now I see how slow I was using 3rd gear and I think that was the last session on sat if I remember correctly
yeah you and Izzone were swearing on the 3rd gear exits, but I just couldn't make them work for me....... i was loosing 2-3 car lengths in T11 and T20 trying them. Something to work on next time. Going to try and make the PCA event in May.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM
jenk12m
Banned

Yea 3rd gear didn't work and if it did it was only for turn 11 if you carried enough speed I would run out of rpms in 5th. Every other slow turn needed 2nd gear

Thanks for the TWS vids
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zweebach
Here are two laps from MVP's red group. This video shows a frequent occurence in that group with a clean lap (2:32.9 in this case) followed by a bit of a parade.

http://youtu.be/wjbKADJzRhs

good job steve. you running straight pipes?!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,065 Likes on 1,794 Posts

DE Cup special on AiM Solo, Solo DL, Video VBOX Lite and Traqmate!

Like Rad says, data or it didn't happen.

BTW, TBL is a tool, not a fact!

You guys should focus on quality, not quantity (lap times). There's so many variables that go into a lap time that it is just a same day/same event comparitive measure that means little.

Besides, proper execution of fundamental skills will most likely ensure good times. Nearly everyone posting about times is looking at it bass ackwards.

I'd use it to plot a trend throughout the weekend for individual drivers, not between drivers.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: COTA 2/1-3 ultimate DE Cup participant list