my gt3 STOLEN: UPDATE FOUND TORCHED

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:30 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
That Twilight description is the most apt yet.
I keep wanting to wake up and have my car back. The concept of getting a new car actually makes me sick and I just want my original back. I am always surprised at how connected I get with my cars. It is one of my flaws I guess.

Anyway, onto the update:
So, the Vegas Sun online story prompted an anonymous call that lead to an arrest and charges being brought against a suspect. The suspect has a long history of theft and arson and is a wanted fugitive in another state.

Anonymous tips like this are extremely rare and I am very thankful to whomever made that call. I am also thankful that the Vegas Sun story got published and that it got enough traffic to trigger that call in the first place. It is a miracle.

How the car was actually started still remains a mystery and if I find out more I will certainly share that information.

I totally agree with your point that the poor GT3 is the innocent victim. I have the after pictures now and they are just too awful to look at. All that car did was faithfully serve its master with wonderful driving experiences and lovely engine roars.

On another note: Thanks to all the folks who have defended my integrity during this ordeal. It is always good to know you have friends (even internet ones) who do not turn their back on you in difficult times. It is sad to see how many people judge based on superficial knowledge. In this case you wouldn't expect that someone would just steal and burn a car, but yet this is exactly what happened here however unlikely that seems. I now have a much deeper appreciation for our founding forefathers, innocent until proven guilty creed. I will adjust my own calibrations on how quickly I judge others as I see that damage can be done when this happens.
Well, it sounds like you've made the best of a bad situation.

Anyway, did it have an RMS leak? : )
Old 08-25-2009, 03:10 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I would very much like to see the after pictures. I'd appreciate it if you posted them here, or email?
Thanks.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:07 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been following this thread like a daily crime drama - fascinating.

crispenigl, I don't think anyone here assumed you were guilty. Just debating all reasonable angles. The cops, though, had to treat you like a suspect. Under the circumstances they would not have been doing their jobs properly if they hadn't. Being treated as a suspect is not an assumption of guilt. Of course if they actually did assume you were guilty, that's different.

There can't really be a happy ending to this story, but there can be a satisfactory and just one. And it looks like it's getting there. I hope we still find out the answers to the remaining mysteries. Please keep us apprised.

Sorry about the loss of your car and your unpleasant experience. Ultimately, though, justice will be served, you will get a new car, and you'll have an interesting story to tell people.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:33 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Crispenigl, glad you are getting a little closure. Hope you are in a new P-car soon.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:15 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Crispenigl, glad you are getting a little closure. Hope you are in a new P-car soon.
My exact sentiment.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:17 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I never suspected Greg, it didnt make sense AT ALL. After talking to him last year all he wanted was to make his car better and to get it to where it belongs (the TRACK) as much as possible
Old 08-25-2009, 04:42 PM
jbryan
Advanced

Now it would be great if the cops would apologize.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:47 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great to hear that there was an arrest!

It would be great to hear the magicians secret revealed...How Did He Do It..???
Old 08-25-2009, 05:40 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jbryan
Now it would be great if the cops would apologize.
Why should the cops apologize? They just did their job(s).

I am glad to hear there is resolution to the incident and closure for the OP. Would sure like to hear how the car was started.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:14 PM
diethelm
Intermediate

"Why should the cops apologize? They just did their job(s)."

The officers assumed he was guilty without a shred of basis. To the extent it is appropriate, helpful and productive to first blame the victim, no apology is necessary.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:54 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Good for you. The truth will out. It's a shame you had to go through the ordeal that you did. Hope everthing works out. A new 2010 GT3 might just be the salve you need to heal your wounds. All the best!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:25 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Will the insurance pay for a new 2010 GT3 or reimburse PFNA the market value? Eitherway is Craig screwed? He leased the GT3, if market value is below residual value? Will he see anything at all? This is new to me, never have a Lease car stolen and totalled. Will the insurance get him a new one? How doe it work?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:32 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEmily
Will the insurance pay for a new 2010 GT3 or reimburse PFNA the market value? Eitherway is Craig screwed? He leased the GT3, if market value is below residual value? Will he see anything at all? This is new to me, never have a Lease car stolen and totalled. Will the insurance get him a new one? How doe it work?
I believe it used to be called gap insurance and still may be. It provides just that, insurance between the residual and market values. It probably varies state to state.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:59 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the cop should have taken a tack that didnt have to go all over the owner without any evidence besides "this is impossible to steal YOU DID IT!" Thats BS. Thats why normal people are wary of cops.
Why not show the owner some respect until they are CERTAIN he could be implicated. What that detective did is what my boys do when they are fighting. HE DID IT. Childish.
I worry that an average person (policeman) without a whole lot of intellegence compared to those I work with, could have a bad day, then completely ruin my life. These people have guns.
Most of the people I know that are Cops and are friends have tempers and a lofty opinions of ones self.
That with an average IQ is a bad combo with guns. The ones who realize that about themselves and temper what they do with that knowledge are the best officers I know. But a 24 YO rarely has that temperment. Lets face it. This type of work doesnt attractive the most thoughtful of our population.
98% of the time I am behind them and what they do. 98% of them are GREAT at what they do. Problem is those 2% can ruin your day.
In the Air Force if I had flunked out of Avionics school I would have gone to Jet engine mechanic school, and I flunked out of that I would have gone to police school
SPolice school in the Air Force 6 weeks
Avionics school was 9 months.
they have a hard job and we dont need to make it harder but it doesnt take much for them to just ruin your freaking life.
I got pulled over by a cop for running a stop sign. I was at the limit line and the guy in front of me was practically in the intersection. He went and I went. The cop said I was doubling through. I told him the other guy was the guy who did something wrong. He told me he didnt write limit line tickets. I took pictures of other people doing the same thing, and graphed out the whole intersection and went to court. The cop lied in court and said he didn't say that. The judge asked him if one of the pictures matched the situation I was in and he said yes. Case dismissed and the judge told the officer to read the vehicle code.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:16 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I think the cop should have taken a tack that didnt have to go all over the owner without any evidence besides "this is impossible to steal YOU DID IT!" Thats BS. Thats why normal people are wary of cops.
Why not show the owner some respect until they are CERTAIN he could be implicated. What that detective did is what my boys do when they are fighting. HE DID IT. Childish.
I worry that an average person (policeman) without a whole lot of intellegence compared to those I work with, could have a bad day, then completely ruin my life. These people have guns.
Most of the people I know that are Cops and are friends have tempers and a lofty opinions of ones self.
That with an average IQ is a bad combo with guns. The ones who realize that about themselves and temper what they do with that knowledge are the best officers I know. But a 24 YO rarely has that temperment. Lets face it. This type of work doesnt attractive the most thoughtful of our population.
98% of the time I am behind them and what they do. 98% of them are GREAT at what they do. Problem is those 2% can ruin your day.
In the Air Force if I had flunked out of Avionics school I would have gone to Jet engine mechanic school, and I flunked out of that I would have gone to police school
SPolice school in the Air Force 6 weeks
Avionics school was 9 months.
they have a hard job and we dont need to make it harder but it doesnt take much for them to just ruin your freaking life.
I got pulled over by a cop for running a stop sign. I was at the limit line and the guy in front of me was practically in the intersection. He went and I went. The cop said I was doubling through. I told him the other guy was the guy who did something wrong. He told me he didnt write limit line tickets. I took pictures of other people doing the same thing, and graphed out the whole intersection and went to court. The cop lied in court and said he didn't say that. The judge asked him if one of the pictures matched the situation I was in and he said yes. Case dismissed and the judge told the officer to read the vehicle code.
There where a prime time tv article indicating Vegas is notorious for insurance burn out. They even have a task force specifcally dedicated to it. I don't remember what was the percentage of fraud, but it was high. The cop say everyday there is a burn out and most likely is fraud by owner. The cop maybe is harsh on the OP, but if you see this day in and day out, especially if it involved a high priced hard to steal GT3, one can jump to the conclusion. It's almost like racial profiling. Sad, but it happen...

Quick Reply: my gt3 STOLEN: UPDATE FOUND TORCHED