my gt3 STOLEN: UPDATE FOUND TORCHED

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
guys, you make this way too complicated.
believe me, when i was much younger, i get bored a lot. burning down cars and other things...... , putting bananas in exhaust pipes, dump glue in door locks, stealing ppl's underwears... you name it. why do i do it..... i have NO clue....

so stealing a car and burning it down... could very well be just for fun.
let it go.
Your kids are not allowed to date my kids.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Your kids are not allowed to date my kids.
my kids are much more advanced than i was.
i have trained mia many things.
lately she's been hunting moles for me. she has a little shovel/dagger, i told her if it moves, jab on it until she sees blood....

some kids at school really bother her. jab her with their fingers. i told her, next time they do it, kick them in the *****. then call daddy.

dont mess with her.

oh, she's very good with max. max crawls very fast so i need mia to help control max so i can get work done.... she just sits on him like sitting on a horse. if max wont stop crying, mia picks him up, and run his head into a wall.... oh, got to go now. i just hurt head banging against wall....
Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Ill take both of your bets because it was neither.
Than what is it? Seem like you already know the answer. Care to divulge? Still can't figure it how the thief can get in and start it with such a short period of time.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:37 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Baron
NOW (if you're off the suspect list) you call back the Vegas detective back and tell him what a dick head he is and then file a complaint against him which WILL be investigated internally !
Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. Of course, the detective should be investigated internally for doing his job. So, if the detective's suspicion was accurate, then he should not be investigated? Many times, under the same circumstances, the owner's are guilty. What shallow thinking.

Again , just so it's clear, it is fabulous that the OP can put this behind him as someone else committed these crimes.

Last edited by 911dev; 09-01-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MyEmily
Than what is it? Seem like you already know the answer. Care to divulge? Still can't figure it how the thief can get in and start it with such a short period of time.
I'd like to know this as well and I'm sure the rest of us would like to know.

How easy is it? How was it done? Is there a way to further prevent someone just jumping in one of our cars and driving it away in such a short timeframe?

Can you provide more details from what the detectives found out from this thief?

Thanks,

Deanski
Old 09-01-2009, 12:49 PM
Max Power
Racer

Originally Posted by crispenigl
They threatened me for about 1 hour saying that if I didnt confess that I was going to jail.
Police are taught that while investigating a crime, it's proper procedure to lie to the victim? Either this is true, or these officers weren't doing their job properly.

I would file a complaint if I didn't get an apology in a timely manner.

Glad to hear they caught the thief and your name is cleared.
Sorry for your GT3.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:59 PM
oneyedjack
Advanced

After the arrest of the dips%&t who has previous convictions for ARSON and is wanted in another state, I am AMAZED that there is still talk that the OP may have been involved.

So I present the following as a possible method for stealing the car WITHOUT the owner's consent.

A little background...Suncoast Porsche sells a replacement key head conversion kit. Basically a 996>>997 key conversion. If you look at the attached install guide, you will see the inside of a modern Porsche key. The black arrow in Figure 2 and Figure 4 point to the transponder 'pill'. This pill is part of the immobilizer system and is an electrical transponder contained in a glass pill. The transponder contains a code that is also programmed into the car's ECU at the factory. When the key is inserted in the ignition the transponder "magnetically couples" to the car and communicates its code. This code has to match the code programmed into the ECU. If it matches the car starts.

Now to the crime.....OP valets the car. The valet removes the transponder pill from the owner's key and sticks it in the car near the ignition key slot so that the owner's key will work normally. He also makes an immpression of the original key and then has a copy of the key cut. This new key will work because a working transponder pill is already in the car.

He gives the duplicate key to a dip**** colaborater, who simply drives off in car in 'less than 60 seconds'. Dip**** gets paranoid or scared when every other car at 3:30 AM has rollers and he is driving the only yellow Porsche in Clark County so he drives to desert and burns car.

At least its plausible.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Max Power
Racer

if you can scan a key remotely with a laptop or other scanning device, all one would need to do is park near the elevator in a parking garage. you could be sitting in the back on a van. when someone parks a GT3 and walks past your van and while waiting for the elevator, you use your laptop or scanning device to scan the key in their pocket. by the time they get on the elevator, you have their codes.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 PM
oneyedjack
Advanced

Originally Posted by Max Power
if you can scan a key remotely with a laptop or other scanning device, all one would need to do is park near the elevator in a parking garage. you could be sitting in the back on a van. when someone parks a GT3 and walks past your van and while waiting for the elevator, you use your laptop or scanning device to scan the key in their pocket. by the time they get on the elevator, you have their codes.
Not possible. To scan a key immoblizer would require being within an inch or closer of the key for awhile. Sure you can RF scan 'all day' for unlock codes from key FOBs but you are not receiving anything from the immobilizer. You really need to have access to the key the way a valet might...hmmm.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:02 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

hum.....
with all these info... i think i got my next company up and runny....
i'll be at Vegas....
Old 09-01-2009, 03:04 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Power
Police are taught that while investigating a crime, it's proper procedure to lie to the victim? Either this is true, or these officers weren't doing their job properly.

I would file a complaint if I didn't get an apology in a timely manner.

Glad to hear they caught the thief and your name is cleared.
Sorry for your GT3.
In many states, maybe even the majority of states, the police can lie to potential supects during the course of an investigation. This will many times lead to arrests. Unfortunately the OP was likely considered a possible suspect, thankfully he was cleared. I am just passing along info so don't shoot the messenger.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oneyedjack
Not possible. To scan a key immoblizer would require being within an inch or closer of the key for awhile. Sure you can RF scan 'all day' for unlock codes from key FOBs but you are not receiving anything from the immobilizer. You really need to have access to the key the way a valet might...hmmm.
Holy ****e. That easy? I grew up with a kid that would have done stuff like this for giggles... with the exception of the arson. Smart kid. He built a Heathkit radio frequency box and used it to open ANYONE's garage door. He eventually went to Cal Tech and then to work for Seagate. Must be a 1000 kids like that out there today.

So, the REAL security reason for the little black plastic valet key MIGHT be so that the valet can not steal your mag pill from your key FOB.

The only explanation I've ever been given by the dealer at delivery for the black plastic valet key is that it will not allow the valet to unlock the glove box!

WTF.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
evolution_gt3
Intermediate

aside from the OP's unfortunate situation here... how many of you guys actually valet your GT3's anywhere?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
guys, you make this way too complicated.
believe me, when i was much younger, i get bored a lot. burning down cars and other things...... , putting bananas in exhaust pipes, dump glue in door locks, stealing ppl's underwears... you name it. why do i do it..... i have NO clue....

so stealing a car and burning it down... could very well be just for fun.
let it go.
Seriously +1
Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MyEmily
If I knew I would. I should hopefully have an update in a week or two.

Quick Reply: my gt3 STOLEN: UPDATE FOUND TORCHED