Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

my gt3 STOLEN: UPDATE FOUND TORCHED

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:48 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When things don't add up, they usually do.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:16 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D.Keshler
Besides that it's wrong. I don't like the attitudes taken here towards the OP. We shouldn't treat each other like that, no matter what the circumstances look like.
+2, was thinking that while reading these outlandish yet clever responses... We should still stick by his side and give him the benefit of a doubt!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:40 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by D.Keshler
Besides that it's wrong. I don't like the attitudes taken here towards the OP. We shouldn't treat each other like that, no matter what the circumstances look like.
I hope you didn't take my last post (211) as being snarky toward the OP.

I just want to see how this is resolved.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:59 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Long and interesting thread.. My condolesent to the OP. I know the feeling coming back to an empty parking space and seeing your car the next day being all trashed and destroyed. This whole episode remind me of a Twilight Zone show, Everyone speculate. The real victim here is the GT3. May it rest in peace...

I would also like to see this resolved. I can't resist to provide my take on this. His Girlfriend did it. Found out he is having an affair. Made a duplicate key. Knowing him he is going to vegas, set up a contract to trash and burn his pride and joy. Revenge??? It's look more like a crime of passion and rage.... Remember Tyson and Gibbons? crashing a bentley? If I offend the OP, his girlfriend or His wife, please accept my apology.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:05 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought, it's pretty easy to order a stipulated key from a Porsche dealer for a car with just the VIN#. Now they do require you to supply some paperwork to "prove" you are the official owner, but I have always thought that the paperwork would be a pretty easy thing to forge for someone with enough motive. Now the key only allows them in the car and to turn over the ignition. Once in the car they would need a alternate computer with a coded key to actually start the car. Once again it's not what you would see your common criminal carrying around but with someone looking for a car like that it could be done. Of course the car torching without removing anything still doesn't make much sense.
I would suggest the OP, and/or the Police, contact Porsche to see if anyone has ordered a key for that VIN# just in case.
Oh, and laser cut key cars with antitheft electronics are stolen all the time. Do a search for stolen cars transported to different countries and see all the nice cars we export. Russia loves those Cayennes.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts

Maybe it's a body double. How fried up was it? Check if the motor is a gt3 motor. If not someone in a foreign country has it now. Mike
Old 08-24-2009, 10:56 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

The computer bus is avaiable in the OBDII slot. I am sure some smart guy can plug in some kind of computer into that slot and take the car OR we have been warned by Naval intelligence of guys stealing the RF code with recievers and having a master key. The keys on my last three 911s havent changed much. 996, 997 and the 997.2
Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,598 Likes on 2,301 Posts

ordering key is EASY. i have a lot of porsche keys.

also, when i sell my cars, i only give out one key. the other is my souvenir.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:25 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
ordering key is EASY. i have a lot of porsche keys.

also, when i sell my cars, i only give out one key. the other is my souvenir.
If your "invitations" dry up, I think you'll already have figured out why!

Remind me to have you scanned with the metal detector.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:36 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,598 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
If your "invitations" dry up, I think you'll already have figured out why!

Remind me to have you scanned with the metal detector.
LOL. i 'll make them in CF next time.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:13 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So whats the latest ?
Any word ?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:29 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I am sure Greg will come back and tell us. He aint going leave Rennlist.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:22 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I am sure Greg will come back and tell us. He aint going leave Rennlist.
Correct - update coming now
Old 08-25-2009, 01:52 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Default Suspect arrested

Originally Posted by MyEmily
I know the feeling coming back to an empty parking space and seeing your car the next day being all trashed and destroyed. This whole episode remind me of a Twilight Zone show, Everyone speculate. The real victim here is the GT3. May it rest in peace...
That Twilight description is the most apt yet.
I keep wanting to wake up and have my car back. The concept of getting a new car actually makes me sick and I just want my original back. I am always surprised at how connected I get with my cars. It is one of my flaws I guess.

Anyway, onto the update:
So, the Vegas Sun online story prompted an anonymous call that lead to an arrest and charges being brought against a suspect. The suspect has a long history of theft and arson and is a wanted fugitive in another state.

Anonymous tips like this are extremely rare and I am very thankful to whomever made that call. I am also thankful that the Vegas Sun story got published and that it got enough traffic to trigger that call in the first place. It is a miracle.

How the car was actually started still remains a mystery and if I find out more I will certainly share that information.

I totally agree with your point that the poor GT3 is the innocent victim. I have the after pictures now and they are just too awful to look at. All that car did was faithfully serve its master with wonderful driving experiences and lovely engine roars.

On another note: Thanks to all the folks who have defended my integrity during this ordeal. It is always good to know you have friends (even internet ones) who do not turn their back on you in difficult times. It is sad to see how many people judge based on superficial knowledge. In this case you wouldn't expect that someone would just steal and burn a car, but yet this is exactly what happened here however unlikely that seems. I now have a much deeper appreciation for our founding forefathers, innocent until proven guilty creed. I will adjust my own calibrations on how quickly I judge others as I see that damage can be done when this happens.

Last edited by crispenigl; 08-25-2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: spelling mistake :P
Old 08-25-2009, 01:55 AM
GT John
AutoX

Do you know if it was the guy in the pictures?

Quick Reply: my gt3 STOLEN: UPDATE FOUND TORCHED