Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:48 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
this thread is a spoof, right?

cars get stolen. get a new one. no whining needed

otherwise shakespeare can come back to haunt you: methinks thou protesteth too much
'A hit, a very palpable hit.'
Old 08-16-2009, 03:21 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

Once this is sorted out we will need a thorough debriefing on how this car was started. Based upon the time tags on the images, the only viable method was with a key,--even with a key, those times would be hard to beat. Parking amongst other cars would have had no different result if the perp had a key.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:27 AM
dagor6
Advanced

Wow, just found this thread.

Don't they usually steal these things by swapping the ECU?

To the OP: I think you might have a larger problem than you think. Very recently in SoCal I've now seen two people who've had insurance claims denied in similar circumstances. (easier to steal cars though just as new).

In both cases it was a few weeks in before they put a hold on the claim and just sort of drug it out while they started researching. Like that one ex-insurance guy said "I wouldn't be posting about new cars..." He's basically referring to the their practice of researching big cases like this extensively.

Since in their warped world you would've alibi'd up and paid a guy to steal the car, they will totally be drinking their own kool-aid. They also consider any mod's to be a sign of fraud possibility because usual fraud involves some guy with fancy rims and all that.

Anyway, I'm just saying that you may be getting screwed worse than you think, usually the cops are just the tip of the iceberg. Beware the fraud investigator!!! They'll pretend you're solvent but just wanted out of such a bad investment. It doesn't matter how retarded that concept is, they drink their own kool-aid.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:49 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Greg, do you look anything like this schmoe^.....makes you wonder why the LEO's were busting your nuts so much.
Yeah, because suspects never pay someone else to commit a crime for them. Not saying that the OP did, but c'mon, HTF do you expect the LEO's to investigate the crime.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:04 PM
997for40
Instructor

Ok, I had a small get together with buddies yesterday at house, some are current LE and one still in the insurance business. This topic came up during a conversation, I showed them the thread and the LE just laughed off the comments about them having low IQ. Anyways here's what he said, a lot of exotics cars gets stolen at gunpoint not stolen while parked due to the fact that modern cars have sophisticated alarm systems. He mentioned most of these cars are never recovered. You need equipment, knowledge and time to do this. The individual caught in camera could not have pulled this off. It appears from the shot, he was not carrying any bag that contains anything to get into the car. In order to pull this off, he most likely used the key and why steal a car let alone a bright yellow Porsche in a parking lot in Vegas knowing that there are cameras all over, seems like you want the camera to prove the car was indeed taken.
So, I asked why would the owner do this, they would definitely look at his financial and if it checks out there's no motive. My buddy from the insurance co. chimed in and said what's the condition of the car, is he having problems with it? any persistent mechanical problem? was he trying to sell/trade it in for a new model? I would go to the dealer where he takes this car for a service. As someone mentioned, beware of the "fraud Investigator".
He cited a few example of denied claim from vandalized/torched 996 P-cars after finding out the cars were plague with the RMS issue. That's why the owners wanted to get rid of it even though some were still under factory warranty.
It's hard for LE to build a case of fraud/arson if they don't catch the individual who did it but for the insurance co., all they need is a doubt and they will deny payment.

Again, these are just speculations and personal opinions in a public forum. The OP mentioned "this is America, we are innocent until proven guilty" while that is true....they forgot to mention.."but it will cost yah some money"
Old 08-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Macster, This is EXACTLY what I am up against. The detective says that the cars are impossible to steal so I must be in on it.

Do you have any links to those stories??

Thanks,
Greg
Did a couple of google searches and turned up nothing. I'll see if I can find something and forward to you.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
"porsches can't be stolen" hahahah. if so...
why ins. cost didn't drop
why not put national sec doc inside porsches
why do we need vaults
there are ppl who can steal nuclear warheads, stealing a porsche is as easy as pouring a cup of milk really.

btw, lojack doesn't always work. i have some "friend" who can kill of lojack before you finish reading this sentence.

let's hope this ordeal get wrapped up soon and you get another GT3!!!
Yep. Where this is a will there is a way.

Was in meeting a few months back with guy from UK who had his M5 stolen. Had tracking device in car. Police never got a peep. Sometime later police did catch up with the theives and found their base of operations was in a deserted area outside of the tracking device range. Had plenty of time to dismantle cars for parts without even worrying about tracking device. The trick was to get the car and get out of range before car reported stolen.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:06 PM
dagor6
Advanced

As someone mentioned, beware of the "fraud Investigator".
He cited a few example of denied claim from vandalized/torched 996 P-cars after finding out the cars were plague with the RMS issue. That's why the owners wanted to get rid of it even though some were still under factory warranty.
It's hard for LE to build a case of fraud/arson if they don't catch the individual who did it but for the insurance co., all they need is a doubt and they will deny payment.
Exactly what my thoughts were. Who cares about the cops, you did nothing wrong, when they realize it they'll leave you alone. It's the insurance company which will begin acting very funny very soon.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:45 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Once this is sorted out we will need a thorough debriefing on how this car was started. Based upon the time tags on the images, the only viable method was with a key,--even with a key, those times would be hard to beat. Parking amongst other cars would have had no different result if the perp had a key.

He didnt have the key.

So how my car was started so quickly is certainly something a lot of folks would like to know. It would take 10 seconds to drive to where the picture was taken giving a 80 second time to steal the vehicle which is incredible to me.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:48 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dagor6

To the OP: I think you might have a larger problem than you think. Very recently in SoCal I've now seen two people who've had insurance claims denied in similar circumstances. (easier to steal cars though just as new).

Anyway, I'm just saying that you may be getting screwed worse than you think, usually the cops are just the tip of the iceberg. Beware the fraud investigator!!! They'll pretend you're solvent but just wanted out of such a bad investment. It doesn't matter how retarded that concept is, they drink their own kool-aid.
I paid a considerable amount up front for the lease and to get out of the lease of my previous 997.x51 so the usual money claims dont work for my case.

If the insurance company gives me a hard time I will let you know. Im expecting this to be resolved in about 1 more week.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:51 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dagor6
Exactly what my thoughts were. Who cares about the cops, you did nothing wrong, when they realize it they'll leave you alone. It's the insurance company which will begin acting very funny very soon.
I hope this is not correct, but we will find out.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:18 AM
Tango635
Racer

Whew...took me a while to read through this whole thread.

First, sorry for your pain Crispenigl.

Second, the guy wanted "dead or alive" certainly doesn't look smart enough to have stollen the car...by himself. I would suspect someone else sat by the car until they got it unlocked for the get-a-way driver. I wonder if the elevators have some way of recording what floor the perp got off. They should at least have a camera on every floor to see who's getting off the elevator.

Anyway, very interesting. Good luck and keep posting details please.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Why would someone do this?
Why does the idiot throw a brick at a bullet proof window-knocking himself out? why does a guy go into 7/11 to steal $100 to get shot/killed by the owner? Are these the same guys that taught you at college (dont answer that conservatives!) NO these are low life scum idiots. They may have the IQ to move the car like a GT3 but then once they do that they dont have enough forethought to think about STEP:2
Who do you guys think these guys are? Guys with MBA's after work?
Old 08-17-2009, 01:32 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

He didnt have the key.
Do they have proof of this??? Sure you have your key, and the one back in L.A. I would be very curious if the key in L.A. still works. My guess is that a third key is was produced without your knowledge. Its a hard pill to swallow, steal a GT3 in 80 sec. don't think so.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:27 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Originally Posted by porsche52
Do they have proof of this??? Sure you have your key, and the one back in L.A. I would be very curious if the key in L.A. still works. My guess is that a third key is was produced without your knowledge. Its a hard pill to swallow, steal a GT3 in 80 sec. don't think so.
I agree with this, it sounds like there was an additional key in circulation, although how it came to be in LV at the same time as the car is a pretty big question.

The OP may want to speak with his dealer to find out if an additional replacement key was had been ordered in the past, and even talk with the leasing company as they may have enough records to be able to produce a key. Is there a way to check if the original key back in LA still functions? It may have been reported lost by the thief using with ownership documents held by leasing co, posing as the owner in order to order a replacement.

Two friends in our neighborhood had their cars stolen the same night; one was a Honda Odyssey and the other an Acura MDX, both with factory immobilizers. They were both leased by the same company and an employee there had ordered copies of the keys and supplied them to the thieves.

Steeling a modern car in this way, where duplicate keys are needed, would quickly rule out joy riders and torching the car could be way to cover one’s tracks and destroy any evidence left behind by a pro who’s was unable to unload the car.

Quick Reply: my gt3 STOLEN: UPDATE FOUND TORCHED