Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:28 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the PTX swap a couple of weeks ago and I can report that the quality of shift has improved. I've only had one 1st gear jam since the swap and most importantly to me, the 2nd gear crunch while cold is almost eliminated. Overall the shift feel is smoother compared to the OEM shell that I had done a couple of months ago.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:09 PM
BoomC2S
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the Gear Oil change last week and noticed a difference.

I was asked to post some pictures of the BendPak Scissor lift I use, so here they are below.

I use a total of 4, 2*12's that are 16 feet long to get he clearance to drive over the lift. I tapered and staggered the ends to smooth the transition when driving on.

This nub is located on the power unit and I can move the entire lift around using the power unit as a dolly.

The eyelet on the lift where the nub fits.

Car raised

A look at how the car sits on the 2*12s

I hope this helps Bruce.

Bricker (Boom)
Old 01-26-2016, 06:08 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm next. Hopefully this week!
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2016, 12:34 AM
dasdman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WIMPWGN
I did the PTX swap a couple of weeks ago and I can report that the quality of shift has improved. I've only had one 1st gear jam since the swap and most importantly to me, the 2nd gear crunch while cold is almost eliminated. Overall the shift feel is smoother compared to the OEM shell that I had done a couple of months ago.
I have also changed to Mobilube and concur that the overall shifting experience is much nicer. First gear has not been an issue since the change. I do still get a little crunching/notchy shift into second for the first 20 minutes or so of driving until things warm up. I need to make very slow and cautious shifts into second gear. Is this something that might be fixed with cable adjustments or is this just the nature of the beast?
Old 01-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by dasdman
I have also changed to Mobilube and concur that the overall shifting experience is much nicer. First gear has not been an issue since the change. I do still get a little crunching/notchy shift into second for the first 20 minutes or so of driving until things warm up. I need to make very slow and cautious shifts into second gear. Is this something that might be fixed with cable adjustments or is this just the nature of the beast?
2009 C2S
My 2nd gear has always been odd. Even in my 2000 Boxster S that had a 911 transmission, 2nd was goofy regardless of temps. When it was really cold, the Boxster would sometimes pop out of 2nd if I was not careful to get the double click. Once warmed, it engage properly.

Honestly, I think this 2nd notchyness is part of the charm.

Cable adjustments will do nothing. The shifter control is all done inside the transmission. The cable lengths only effect the angle of the shifter. They are not like bicycle cables where an adjustment to them will affect a moving part inside.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-27-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:52 AM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Originally Posted by dasdman
I, too, have to pause briefly in neutral before going into 2nd, and this way I can avoid the crunch.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's 5th and 6th gears for me, that will grind when cold. Sometimes 4th, if it's really cold out.

I've put 300 miles on my fill of PTX and I've only gotten one 1st gear jam. A vast improvement. The only time it jammed was when I was at a drive-thru and declutched in neutral for a minute or so. I'm starting to think I need to replace my clutch slave as well.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:03 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Forgot to mention that I have the factory SSK, so it may have some contribution to the shifting feel.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:42 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So here's my story. I have had the first gear, have to double clutch at traffic lights issue. I won some Joe Gibbs Driven 75w-90 at a PCA event. So I decided to go with it. I am setting up another thread to track my evaluation of the fluid similar to this one. Just want to add another potential option. So far with one day under the belts, not one first gear issue.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:54 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Getting my 60k service done On Wednesday. Putting the new stuff in. Can't wait to see how that works out.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,695 Likes on 4,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
I'm next. Hopefully this week!
So how'd it go - same improved results the others have seen?
Old 02-24-2016, 04:47 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

I've had improved results by doing nothing, ever since this thread started getting traction. I think the cold weather plays a part ... what's the connection there?
Old 02-24-2016, 05:05 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,695 Likes on 4,253 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts
I've had improved results by doing nothing, ever since this thread started getting traction. I think the cold weather plays a part ... what's the connection there?
Connection is that the gear oil (like anything else) is thicker when it's cold so things hang up and resist more.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Connection is that the gear oil (like anything else) is thicker when it's cold so things hang up and resist more.
That is definitely part of it. PTX is supposed to be formulated for all weather down to cold temps for daily drivers.

I think the other part of it is slipperiness. For this transmission to work properly, there has to be some level of friction for the cones to bite and spin up the associated components. To much or too little can be a problem. I never really understood this and thought oil should be slippery.... the more the better... it should not let metal touch metal... but I am very wrong about this when it comes to manual transmissions.

I think someone who understands transmissions should weigh in here.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-24-2016, 10:47 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Just had my 60k done today. Put the PTX in. Drove home was smooth. Engine and trans were already warm from service. Shifting seemed "easier" and more fluid. Will see next time I drive from cold. First gear selection when cold is the key to see how well it works. Others have noted smoother shifting so it was enough testimony for me to try.

Quick Reply: Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil