Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 11:48 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I changed the oil a few weeks ago with PTX. I've probably driven 100 miles since. 1st gear jam is fixed completely. All other gears are smoother than before. 2nd gear in particular is far less notchy than before, but still not perfect.

I consider this a great success. Would recommend to anyone.

Drain and fill plugs both use crush washers to achieve a tight seal. The crush washer is identical to the oil drain plug.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:02 PM
gumbyaz
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Add another satisfied customer. 3 liters of Mobilube PTX and my 07 C4S with 30k miles is shifting great. No more first gear issue. Worked like a charm.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gumbyaz
Add another satisfied customer. 3 liters of Mobilube PTX and my 07 C4S with 30k miles is shifting great. No more first gear issue. Worked like a charm.
Did it take all 3 liters? I just received my 3 liters of PTX from Suncoast but it looks like one of the bottles contains less than a full liter,maybe 3/4 of a liter.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:23 PM
gumbyaz
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine from suncoast also. Bottles are obviously hand filled, so my guess is that quantity varies slightly.

But....the quantity was spot on. My pump was just starting to suck air on the 3rd bottle when I saw drips starting to come back out the fill port.

I wouldn't worry about it...will be close enough anyway even if 1/4 liter short.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:56 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jastx
I experienced the first gear catch occasionally in my "new" 2009. I had my gear oil changed to PTX and it hasn't happened since. The shifter feels better in all gears, smooth. Very pleased.
Meant to add the best thing about the change is I don't even think about it anymore. I wait with the clutch out and don't even push it in until the light changes. Complete confidence.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:56 AM
ptshrdn
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is amazing! Can't wait to try this in my 2006.

Another data point I haven't seen mentioned: I had taken the car into my mechanic maybe six months after I got it for this issue -- he postulated a shifter cable adjustment was needed, i.e. the reason for the balkiness was the shifter physically not lining up with the gate. (My best non-technical explanation; I've never seen the insides of that.) After an adjustment it was better, but still occurred. Then of course the shifter cable broke a few months later.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:38 AM
964polar
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

PTX Mobilube all the way. Did my fluid change 200km ago and it feels perfect. Had a slight hard 2nd gear change which is gone. PTX was probably the previous fill, but now I was at 100.000 km (62k miles). Sourced it from Germany into Sweden.

Cheers
Old 12-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,521 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by ptshrdn
This thread is amazing! Can't wait to try this in my 2006.

Another data point I haven't seen mentioned: I had taken the car into my mechanic maybe six months after I got it for this issue -- he postulated a shifter cable adjustment was needed, i.e. the reason for the balkiness was the shifter physically not lining up with the gate. (My best non-technical explanation; I've never seen the insides of that.) After an adjustment it was better, but still occurred. Then of course the shifter cable broke a few months later.
Adjusting the cables will do nothing. There is a tiny cable adjustment thingy where the cables attach to the shifter, but that is to adjust the angle or uprightness of the shaft. Adjustments have no effect on shifting because everything related to that is inside the transmission. The shifter is floppy mess and it held in place by the cables. The click click, the springyness etc is all done inside the transmission. Another misconception is the cables are pulling and are under tension. The cables also push. So when you are in say 1st gear, or neutral, or whatever, the entire cable/shifter system is totally slack. The shifter is held in place by the transmission. There is a false assumption that adjusting the cables changes the distance a lever is moved... this is just not so as the lever distances are controlled inside the transmission and not by the shifter or cables.

I experience temporary improvement in shifting when I replaced my shifter for a Numeric..... but that improvement faded. I attribute the improvement to a change in my shifting behavior and not the mechanism. If you move in clean left-right, then front-back motion, you will move only one cable at a time. If you move in an arc, you will move two mechanisms at the same time and that will increase jam frequency (IMO, YMMV, at least that is my experience).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-14-2015, 08:13 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
What we're specifically talking about here is, you're sitting at a light, car in neutral, foot off the clutch. Light turns green (or you see the cross street light turn yellow), you step on the clutch and attempt to shift into 1st. It won't go. No grinding, just like feels like trying to shift into 6th on a 5-speed. You slip it into 2nd, and sometimes it will then go into 1st. Or you let out the clutch and back in and then it goes. Maybe. You know it won't help to force it but there's a line of cars behind you laying on their horns and you know what they're all thinking of you and your Porsche

Exactly the problem. I had new tranny oil put in about 10k miles ago from another Indy I had been using. The tranny itself only has had about 10-20k miles at that point but the car was new to me and I wanted to get a fresh start on all fluids. No idea what they put in but based on what I know now, I'd guess it was Delvac. That seems to be the go to trans oils for most places. It's way cheaper (about $6-7 for Delvac from my new Indy/liter vs. $38/liter for PTX from Suncoast) and more available than PTX. But if PTX fixes the problem and last 100k+ miles, the cost is insignificant.

Today I had PTX put in. The oil in the there looked very clean coming out; I didn't do a smell or taste test on it's vintage. My initial reaction over 40 miles of shifting through traffic is that it fixed the problem.

I will report back after a couple of weeks.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:02 PM
fastm3
Racer

Is everyone still happy with this? If so, I'm going to try it.

This (first gear) issue has really kept me from enjoying my 997's driving experience to the fullest, from day one. I hope the fix really works....
Old 12-16-2015, 02:08 PM
motopix
Pro

I'm only on day 3 w/PTX and I'm willing to call it amazing. Usually I have several first gear jam ups/day. Not a single jam so far.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Ugh. I did a drain and fill on my car, which was surprisingly filled with RedLine Shockproof Lightweight (milky blue in color and smells like Ranch Dressing on a Buffalo Wing). I replaced it with Royal Purple MaxGear 75W-90 thinking the lighter weight would improve cold shifting, which was notchy and heavy when the car was cold with the Shockproof. I also got a lot of the 1st gear jamming.

It was quite the opposite. I have to handle my gearchanges with the fragility of a Faberge egg, or I'll get a sickly crunch through the shifter on 4th, 5th and 6th, until the gearbox warms up to temp. I still get the first gear jam as well. Very disappointed, but more surprised, MaxGear has worked well with my other cars with transaxles.

I'm gonna order some PTX next, and see if that will make a difference.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:57 PM
motopix
Pro

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Ugh. I did a drain and fill on my car, which was surprisingly filled with RedLine Shockproof Lightweight (milky blue in color and smells like Ranch Dressing on a Buffalo Wing). I replaced it with Royal Purple MaxGear 75W-90 thinking the lighter weight would improve cold shifting, which was notchy and heavy when the car was cold with the Shockproof. I also got a lot of the 1st gear jamming.

It was quite the opposite. I have to handle my gearchanges with the fragility of a Faberge egg, or I'll get a sickly crunch through the shifter on 4th, 5th and 6th, until the gearbox warms up to temp. I still get the first gear jam as well. Very disappointed, but more surprised, MaxGear has worked well with my other cars with transaxles.

I'm gonna order some PTX next, and see if that will make a difference.

The PTX mostly cleared up the balky when cold shifts as well. It did not however grow the hair back on my head.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:18 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I got mine on order - because of this thread...sigh....
Old 12-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Hey Bruce, you get your kickback check from Suncoast yet?

Quick Reply: Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil