Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 09:54 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Just had my 60k done today. Put the PTX in. Drove home was smooth. Engine and trans were already warm from service. Shifting seemed "easier" and more fluid. Will see next time I drive from cold. First gear selection when cold is the key to see how well it works. Others have noted smoother shifting so it was enough testimony for me to try.
Regarding the 1st gear jam..... it was part of my driving experience regardless of temps. I think a few issues about our transmissions are emerging:

1) 1st gear jam
2) Cold temp performance
3) Oddities in other gears

Regarding non-PTX oils: I suspect many are biases to any product that describes itself as "performance". For example, Delvac is a common transmission fluid for GT3s and gee, therefore, it must be good for my car. Well Delvac has poor cold temp performance compared to PTX.

Anyway, be careful what you assume about these fluids and be realistic in your usage. It will change your outcomes and satisfaction.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-25-2016, 10:33 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Connection is that the gear oil (like anything else) is thicker when it's cold so things hang up and resist more.
I should have written my sentence better. I meant it feels better in the winter (or at least this winter). I haven't had a 1st gear hang up in months. Where it seemed like a weekly occurrence in the summer.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:40 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,869 Likes on 906 Posts

I admit that I did not read the full thread so excuse me if this was covered, but can someone link the instructions to changing the gear oil in a 997.2?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2016, 03:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,431 Likes on 827 Posts

lift car
locate transmission
remove fill plug
remove drain plug.
drain old oil
pump or gravity drain new fluid in until it dribbles out of the fill hole.
install fill plug
Old 02-25-2016, 04:10 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,869 Likes on 906 Posts

So, just like my old RX-7.

Easy enough. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:42 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
lift car
locate transmission
remove fill plug
remove drain plug.
drain old oil
install fill plug
You also have to remove the underbody panels to expose the trans. Also there are two fill holes on the side of the transmission (one is higher than the other) Use the lower one that is on the forward side of the transmission. One thing I found with my .2 is that I put in the recommended 3 litres it didn't start to run out of the fill hole. I stuck my little finger in the hole and the level was below the fill hole. I just left it as I'd put in the required amount.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:52 PM
Thedips
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol so taking out my 997 just a trip down to the bank and get some coffee and i kept saying to myself how i need to get some PTX in my life. haha.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:40 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Regarding the 1st gear jam..... it was part of my driving experience regardless of temps. I think a few issues about our transmissions are emerging: 1) 1st gear jam 2) Cold temp performance 3) Oddities in other gears Regarding non-PTX oils: I suspect many are biases to any product that describes itself as "performance". For example, Delvac is a common transmission fluid for GT3s and gee, therefore, it must be good for my car. Well Delvac has poor cold temp performance compared to PTX. Anyway, be careful what you assume about these fluids and be realistic in your usage. It will change your outcomes and satisfaction. Peace Bruce in Philly
The fluid I had in my tranny was Valvoline. Installed by the repair shop who worked on my tranny. Still had cold 1st gear jam with change of fluid. Shifting was smoother with new 2nd gear change. Since the fluid was not anything recommended figured to go to PTX. Been happy with it I have to say. Coke start was smoother and shifting wasn't as "rough" and gear transition was better. Went into first gear much easier and I didn't get that tough 1st gear engagement. So far so good. At least I'm good for another 50k on the fluid.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:56 PM
WIMPWGN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
lift car
locate transmission
remove fill plug
remove drain plug.
drain old oil
install fill plug
One thing I had to do other than the steps above is to remove the plastic panel underneath the gearbox. About a dozen screws.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:06 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thedips
lol so taking out my 997 just a trip down to the bank and get some coffee and i kept saying to myself how i need to get some PTX in my life. haha.
Finally, someone gets it. Good job Mr Dips.

I substituted PTX for coffee right after it solved my 1st gear jam. Every morning, a pint of PTX, straight up, no friction modifiers. Immediately, I noticed more smoothness and a needed regularity to normal activities. Getting going on cold mornings is now never an issue.

I suspect I've added years on to my life and all friction-free.

So, become one of us.... its just three liters away.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Regarding the 1st gear jam..... it was part of my driving experience regardless of temps. I think a few issues about our transmissions are emerging:

1) 1st gear jam
2) Cold temp performance
3) Oddities in other gears

Regarding non-PTX oils: I suspect many are biases to any product that describes itself as "performance". For example, Delvac is a common transmission fluid for GT3s and gee, therefore, it must be good for my car. Well Delvac has poor cold temp performance compared to PTX.

Anyway, be careful what you assume about these fluids and be realistic in your usage. It will change your outcomes and satisfaction.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Same issues as the Aisin W5M33 transaxle I have in my '92 Talon TSi AWD, really.

Off topic, but did the .2s go back to Getrag for transmissions? Every Aisin transmission in any car I've owned that has one seemed to have issues with shifting and synchros.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:43 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

It was funny to see this thread as my 09 has only 20K and I asked the dealer for a price on changing the fluid. Just didn t want to mess with the cover removal etc. I have no complaints about shifting at this time. Dealer didn t know off hand what it would cost because they said they generally don t change this fluid (LOL)....
Anyone have any pics on plug locations for a 997.2 as I m reading there are three total plugs?
Also whats with needing a pump to re fill (not sure what that means), what will I need?
Thanks, Bruce usually has good posts so I am slightly interested even with no shifting issues.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:10 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cerbomark
It was funny to see this thread as my 09 has only 20K and I asked the dealer for a price on changing the fluid. Just didn t want to mess with the cover removal etc. I have no complaints about shifting at this time. Dealer didn t know off hand what it would cost because they said they generally don t change this fluid (LOL)....
Anyone have any pics on plug locations for a 997.2 as I m reading there are three total plugs?
Also whats with needing a pump to re fill (not sure what that means), what will I need?
Thanks, Bruce usually has good posts so I am slightly interested even with no shifting issues.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...-and-capacity/

There are two on the side, pick the lower one, ignore the upper one. You need to pump the oil in as you can't get a jar above the side hole... no room, so you need to hand crank it up into the hole.

It is a Japanese Aisin transmission.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-27-2016, 09:19 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,695 Likes on 4,253 Posts

Is this PTX the correct tranmission lubricant for the 997.1 cars or just the newer .2 cars and does anyone know whether this is a GL-4, GL4/GL5, or GL-5 rated lubricant?

Last edited by Petza914; 02-28-2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:46 AM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Is this PTX the correct tranmission lubricant for the 997.1 cars or just the newer .2 cars and does anyone know whether this is a GL-4, GL4/GL5, or GL-5 rated lubricant?
Worked great on my '06. I don't think the manual transmissions are much different btw 997.1 and 997.2.

Quick Reply: Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil