Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 05:29 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I've added this to my spring maintenance list. Are you reusing the washers on the drain and fill plugs or replacing them?
Old 05-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,694 Likes on 4,252 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
I've added this to my spring maintenance list. Are you reusing the washers on the drain and fill plugs or replacing them?
I replaced them and for the drain plug actually used a magnetic one from LN Engineering - it's the same size and thread as the motor oil drain plug. They also sell a pack of 5 aluminum washers. If you grab those too, you'll have a new one to use on the fill plug, the new drain plug that comes with one, and then a few spares forward your next few motor oil changes - you should use that same plug there too - they sell a 2-pack.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:23 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacing Tranny fluid change so early? Not needed says Porsche dealer

I contacted the advisor I have used for years with my 993 and now with my 997.2 I asked him what about this? I only have 38k miles and all seems well shifting, albeit not as smooth as my Acura (but what is?). He says to relax. The car came with the correct fluid and has far too little miles to mess with it. It is possible a 997.1 may have an issue, but I didn't ask him.
Charlie
Old 05-06-2016, 10:14 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks Pete. I have about 10 or so of the oil crush washers in my stash. I bought quantities last time from somewhere to get above the free shipping threshold. What threw me off was PET is listing different part numbers for the washer - 900.123.106.30 for the oil drain plug washer and 997.301.808.00 for the transmission drain/fill plugs. Plus the tranny washers are over $10 each online!!
Old 05-21-2016, 11:31 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Replaced the Motul gear 300 with ptx today. What a difference! 1st is still a bit vague but much better. All other shifts are improved. I still need to fix the B&M short shifter with the function first kit or just get a gt3 shifter. The cable connectors have excessive play as well. So there are a couple more fixes to get it perfect. Overall, the car is more enjoyable to drive and ptx is the right stuff as many can attest.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:50 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick question-I will need a new clutch soon, any reason to hold off on doing this oil change until after that?
Old 05-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,694 Likes on 4,252 Posts

You don't have to open the trans to replace the clutch and you don't need access to the clutch to replace the transmission fluid, so no, go ahead and dive in with the PTX change.

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Quick question-I will need a new clutch soon, any reason to hold off on doing this oil change until after that?
Old 05-22-2016, 01:28 PM
henkinc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default can we get some clarity here pleaase?

Looking over this the only sense I can make of it is that some folks did not appear to be using PTX. Some other folks may have high mileage, say over 80k.Some bias towards 997.1 cars having problems seems to be the case, though these are older and would tend to have higher miles. So, some questions:
1. did 997s come with PTX installed from the factory, and if so, when did this practice start? Prior to this date -- or type of 997, what had been installed? Why, if it was inferior fluid?
2. Does anyone with 997.2 have the problems, of any level of severity, no matter how minor, and if so what did you experience? For example, do higher mileage 997.2s require a cable adjustment or benefit from this? On my maintenance printout I see a service item to "inspect transmission and drive train every 40k miles.

This thread has gone on so long with so many stories I am tempted to ignore it because I can't find a common thread, as it were, except if you don't have PTX (for some unknown reason) put it in. My Porsche dealer tells me to forget a fluid change on my 38k Mile 997.2. Maybe change it around 100k miles.
Thanks.
Charlie
Old 05-22-2016, 03:38 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Gear oil, such as PTX, is continually improved year over year. I know that as far back as 2009, people were discovering easier shift actions, especially 1st, by using PTX. I also recall reading (elsewhere) that the product is even better now than it was then, as it's evolved slightly.

In this very thread, it's mentioned why it works so well, so some mystery is removed. It's doing just as it was designed.

Further, it could very well be a 997 rolled out of Stuttgart with PTX in it, but after initial break-in and wear would be best suited to a fresh PTX change, whereas Porsche doesn't require this early transaxle maintenance. And Jimmy cracked corn... and I don't care, because manufacturers push out fluid changes based on a lot of parameters. They even pushed out oil changes to some ludicrous period.

So... even if you had PTX for the first year or two, and you have discovered some resistance to shifting, esp into 1st, you might still benefit from fresh PTX.

This thread has been overhwhelmingly positive.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:41 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW I have a reasonably high mile 997.2 that I have had for about 6 months now. The tranny has 135,000 kilometres (83,000 miles) on it.
When I bought the car I was getting a lot of 1st gear jams and it it crunched a lot going into 2nd gear. I bought 3 litres of trans lube (non-PTX) from the local dealer and installed it to see if it made any difference. It didn't really do anything.
I ordered PTX from Suncoast and put it in. It has helped by significantly reducing the number of 1st gear jams. It still happens occasionally but infrequently. Gearbox still crunches a bit on the 1-2 shift but I have learned to slow down my shifts. Additionally, Bruce in Philly made some comments about how the 1-2 shift is accomplished. The normal tendency is to pull the shifter towards you on the 1-2 shift. What I do now is try and pull the lever straight back in line with the centreline of the car. This makes a difference for the 1-2 shift issue.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:38 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for confirming, will order and install PTX and report back. I have a 997.1 C4S X51 with the 1st gear issue and a very sticky shift feel when cold. Actually the stickiness is similar to my 996 GT3 when cold.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,626 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by henkinc
Looking over this the only sense I can make of it is that some folks did not appear to be using PTX. Some other folks may have high mileage, say over 80k.Some bias towards 997.1 cars having problems seems to be the case, though these are older and would tend to have higher miles. So, some questions:
1. did 997s come with PTX installed from the factory, and if so, when did this practice start? Prior to this date -- or type of 997, what had been installed? Why, if it was inferior fluid?
2. Does anyone with 997.2 have the problems, of any level of severity, no matter how minor, and if so what did you experience? For example, do higher mileage 997.2s require a cable adjustment or benefit from this? On my maintenance printout I see a service item to "inspect transmission and drive train every 40k miles.

This thread has gone on so long with so many stories I am tempted to ignore it because I can't find a common thread, as it were, except if you don't have PTX (for some unknown reason) put it in. My Porsche dealer tells me to forget a fluid change on my 38k Mile 997.2. Maybe change it around 100k miles.
Thanks.
Charlie
There are no issues or changes. Some, like me, experience a jam when moving into first. Replacing the oil with what is recommended in my 2009 manual, PTX, fixes the problem. If you don't have a problem, then don't do this. Done.

Dealerships don't follow the Porsche recommendation and put in Delvac. Wrong stuff. They do it. I don't.

Some folks think Porsche specifications are not good and they use different brands with different intervals. If it works, then fine I guess.

Adjusting cables under the shifter does nothing but adjust the uprightness of the shifter. The business is inside the transmission and there are no adjustments in there I know of.

Nothing has changed.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-27-2016, 09:53 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 391 Likes on 255 Posts

Changed on my 2007, improved for sure. Has 110k on the odometer. Between this and the function first shift right solution with porsche SSK it has noticeably made shifting much more precise with less binding/struggliing into first and improved the 1-2 shift.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:33 PM
nismosd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

09 997.2 with 48k and PTX is night and day with whatever fluid came with the car. I can't explain it but it just works better. I also have gt3 ssk about to swap to numeric.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:24 PM
ebackes
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other Upgrades?

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Still jam free. Like new. Just goes to show dealers are not high-priests with the secret book of answers. A simple fluid change is all it took for a bunch of us. As you discovered, as I did, adjusting the cables or swapping a shifter does nothing.
Peace
Bruce in Philly
So, Bruce, I've seen your other posts on the Numeric shifter and semi-solid engine mounts. Obviously, it's a little hard to tell what good the earlier upgrades are doing now since the last thing (PTX) seemed to do the trick, but what are your thoughts now about some of the earlier upgrades? Still worthwhile? I'm probably going to do the Rennline engine mounts regardless, because it should also help with the handling, but not so sure about doing the shifter anymore.

Quick Reply: Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil