Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the Mobilube PTX info:
http://www.mobil.com/Spain
English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMOBILUBE_PTX_75W-90.aspx
Old 02-28-2016, 01:05 AM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The link didn't work so here's the info....

Product Data Sheet
Product Description and Application
Mobilube PTX SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil
Mobilube PTX is a fully synthetic SAE 75W-90 multipurpose gear lubricant. It has been developed to provide outstanding performance in all transmissions and specifically in Porsche transaxles. It provides low temperature fluidity with high temperature stability ensuring excellent wear protection in both manual transmissions (incl. synchromesh) and drive axles over a wide range of operating conditions.
Based on the additive system used, Mobilube PTX would be suitable for use in most manual transmissions, transaxles or hypoid axle applications requiring an API service category API GL-4 or GL-5 lubricant.
The combination of synthetic base fluid technology and special high performance additives have been carefully formulated to meet the low temperature fluidity requirements of Porsche ( Kinematic Viscosity at 0oC of < 600 cSt). It also provides excellent synchromesh compatibility and 'shiftability', whilst maintaining excellent wear protection.
Benefits
Mobilube PTX provides the following benefits:
• Excellent low temperature fluidity (< 600 cSt at 0oC), giving easier gear changing from cold over conventional SAE 80W, 90 and 75W-90 grades
• Superior synchromesh compatibility / durability
• Good thermal / oxidative stability
• High level of wear protection under the most severe conditions
Specifications
Mobilube PTX is suitable for use in most manual transmissions, transaxles or hypoid axle applications requiring an API service category API GL-4 or GL-5 lubricant.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:18 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Exactly this ^ was posted already on page 8
Old 02-28-2016, 10:35 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,820 Likes on 884 Posts

I don't have an issue with first gear. Mine is a .2 though. Was this issue improved for the .2?

I'm still thinking about changing out the oil for PTX when I get some time this summer.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:48 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,542 Likes on 4,163 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
So here's my story. I have had the first gear, have to double clutch at traffic lights issue. I won some Joe Gibbs Driven 75w-90 at a PCA event. So I decided to go with it. I am setting up another thread to track my evaluation of the fluid similar to this one. Just want to add another potential option. So far with one day under the belts, not one first gear issue.
ChicagoSpeed996 - you shoudl remove the JGR lubricant from your trans immediately. I'm in the process of swithing over to their Driven line of lubricants for all of my P-cars (just put the LS75w-90 gear oil into the differential and the STF into the 6-speed transmission that are both from a Vette Z06 in my 928), but in trying to determine the correct lubricants for that application, I asked Lake Speed from JGR what product of theirs I should use in the 6MT of my 997.1 C2S. After he and I both did some additional research, the Mobilube PTX that's recommended for these gear boxes has a TE-ML-11 rating and he told me that later this year they are releasing a product that will be the correct lubricant for that application, but at this point, do not have one and I should use the PTX. His exact message was "Just go with the PTX in your 997. We are going to release a product like the PTX later this year, but for now go with the Mobil product. Our current product is a GL-5, and that is not the correct additive package for the 997 transmission."

Wanted to let you know before what's currently in there could do some damage to your gearbox.

For anyone else that's interested, changing from the Redline oil that was put into the Z06 trans about 9 months ago to the Driven STF has made for much smoother shifting and reduced noise from the transmission. The Limited Slip Differential Oil seemed to make starts from a stop smoother as well, but I only did the one test drive after making the change today. We'll see how things compare from a cold start, but so far it looks like a significant improvement.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:24 AM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I don't have an issue with first gear. Mine is a .2 though. Was this issue improved for the .2?

I'm still thinking about changing out the oil for PTX when I get some time this summer.
Same boat. Isn t the PTX whats in our 997.2 s from factory?
Old 03-05-2016, 11:43 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts

Something wonderful happened today, It turns out i have a first gear in my car!!! who knew?
I've had PTX sitting around for 3 months, finally got time to change it.
Drove around for about an hour on errands and immediately noticed smother shifting between all gears, much improved 2nd gear and although its not perfect, i can actually engage the first gear semi easily. Somewhat notchy but it actually goes in without much resistance. And even able to pop it in while rolling at 20 miles. Could never do that before even if life depended on it.

Cant thank you enough Bruce. And everyone who have already tried it and reported back.
Thank you all.

P.S.
I and someone else on this thread reported that it seemed a little better in the winter when temps are colder. but its almost 40 today and last week as temps have been warming up its been getting worse. I will report back once temps are 60+

Last edited by malahhaor; 03-06-2016 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:17 PM
ssun01
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add me as another believer!

Love everything about my 09 4S except that 1st gear jam issue. Put in PTX last week and that problem goes away completely. I have become super alert everytime being the first car at the traffic lights because of that problem, now I have to learn to relax in that situation, haha..

Bruce, can’t thank you enough! Cheers.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:05 PM
NYCC4S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bruce, curious if you are still free and clear of the 1st gear problem? I happened upon your post by accident. I have had my 997.2 for just over 6 years, and have had the car in 2 different dealers for this issue. Replaced linkage cables. Replaced short shift kit. cable adjustments. Just hit only 31K this week, and sure enough had problems putting car in first yesterday. Try the usual shifting through the gate until I was luckily able to get into 1st. Nothing more embarrassing than being the guy in the Porsche stuck at a light. Anyway, if it works, I will have my shop do the swap when I bring her in for annual service.

Thanks,

Kevin

Last edited by NYCC4S; 03-04-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:25 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCC4S
Hey Bruce, curious if you are still free and clear of the 1st gear problem? I happened upon your post by accident. I have had my 997.2 for just over 6 years, and have literally had the car in 2 different dealers a dozen plus times for this issue with no success. Replaced linkage cables multiple times. Replaced short shift kit. Countless supposed cable adjustments. Just hit only 31K this week, and sure enough had problems putting car in first yesterday. Try the usual shifting through the gate until I was luckily able to get into 1st. Nothing more embarrassing than being the guy in the Porsche stuck at a light. Anyway, if it works, I will have my shop do the swap when I bring her in for annual service.

Thanks,

Kevin

Couldn't be bothered to read 9 pages of testimonials could you?
Old 03-28-2016, 08:45 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just noticed this post! Thanks Petza! I spoke with Navarro about the JGR and he said it was ok. I will go with Lake Speed on this one and get the PTX.

Originally Posted by Petza914
ChicagoSpeed996 - you shoudl remove the JGR lubricant from your trans immediately. I'm in the process of swithing over to their Driven line of lubricants for all of my P-cars (just put the LS75w-90 gear oil into the differential and the STF into the 6-speed transmission that are both from a Vette Z06 in my 928), but in trying to determine the correct lubricants for that application, I asked Lake Speed from JGR what product of theirs I should use in the 6MT of my 997.1 C2S. After he and I both did some additional research, the Mobilube PTX that's recommended for these gear boxes has a TE-ML-11 rating and he told me that later this year they are releasing a product that will be the correct lubricant for that application, but at this point, do not have one and I should use the PTX. His exact message was "Just go with the PTX in your 997. We are going to release a product like the PTX later this year, but for now go with the Mobil product. Our current product is a GL-5, and that is not the correct additive package for the 997 transmission."

Wanted to let you know before what's currently in there could do some damage to your gearbox.

For anyone else that's interested, changing from the Redline oil that was put into the Z06 trans about 9 months ago to the Driven STF has made for much smoother shifting and reduced noise from the transmission. The Limited Slip Differential Oil seemed to make starts from a stop smoother as well, but I only did the one test drive after making the change today. We'll see how things compare from a cold start, but so far it looks like a significant improvement.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:51 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 938 Posts

Hey Bruce, curious if you are still free and clear of the 1st gear problem? I happened upon your post by accident. I have had my 997.2 for just over 6 years, and have literally had the car in 2 different dealers a dozen plus times for this issue with no success. Replaced linkage cables multiple times. Replaced short shift kit. Countless supposed cable adjustments. Just hit only 31K this week, and sure enough had problems putting car in first yesterday. Try the usual shifting through the gate until I was luckily able to get into 1st. Nothing more embarrassing than being the guy in the Porsche stuck at a light. Anyway, if it works, I will have my shop do the swap when I bring her in for annual service.

Thanks,

Kevin
Still jam free. Like new. Just goes to show dealers are not high-priests with the secret book of answers. A simple fluid change is all it took for a bunch of us. As you discovered, as I did, adjusting the cables or swapping a shifter does nothing.
Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-29-2016, 03:35 PM
NYCC4S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Bruce, thanks! Great to know, and hopefully I didn't put a whammy on you. It pisses me off to no end that PCNA doesn't address issues like this when cars repeatedly come in both in and out of warranty. There is a limit on what you can blame on dealer ignorancet.

Motopix, assuming your response wasn't meant to be derogatory? I simply wanted to find out if the fix was a perceived temporary solution like so may of the other things I have tried in the past, or if it stood the test of time.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:43 PM
dc2000
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 20 Posts

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the transaxle oil change. My '10 C2S has an issue with grinding going into 2nd gear when the transmission is cold. I didn't notice any difference after changing the oil. The original oil had 64k miles on it. Perhaps, my car has a different issue.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:21 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motopix, assuming your response wasn't meant to be derogatory? I simply wanted to find out if the fix was a perceived temporary solution like so may of the other things I have tried in the past, or if it stood the test of time.

Well, I suppose a little derogatory. Because this thread and subsequent feedback seems to be holding up that this is the fix.

Nothing personal. It's just the interwebs.

I've had the PTX in for about 5k miles now and have had a couple of very, very minor hangups going into first after the first 4.5k miles. But they have been weeks apart. Not the daily, hard to shift most every time I tried to go into first like before PTX.

And the tranny is still a little grindy feeling going from first to 2nd the first few shifts in the morning.

Quick Reply: Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil