Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 11:48 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bruce In Philly, thanks for your info, most helpful.

This parts veteran also found-out that his parts computer system now recommends firstly the Shell Spirax S5 ATE 75W-90, previous name Shell Transaxle Oil 75W-90. He didn't currently have any of the Shell in stock, however his sister dealership in Ontario, CA had the Shell in stock and he could get it for me in a day or so from them.

Last edited by slips2; 02-21-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:02 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,626 Likes on 974 Posts

Wow, that is the first time I saw PTX in quart bottles in the USA... cool. Good info.... looks like Porsche shifted to Shell.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-22-2021, 12:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,694 Likes on 4,252 Posts

Originally Posted by slips2
Bruce In Philly, thanks for your info, most helpful.

Today I visited one of several local-to-me Porsche dealers, this one at Newport Auto Center in Newport Beach, CA. This dealership has been there for at least 40 years, probably more, albeit under different ownership over the years. I got a veteran parts department employee who was a pit bull in researching transmission oils for me. Turns-out they stock and can continue to procure Mobilube PTX in liter bottles. I bought three liters, each container with a datecode of 16/6/2020 and a Porsche part number 000-043-304-72 label on the container bottom as shown below.

This parts veteran also found-out that his parts computer system now recommends firstly the Shell Spirax S5 ATE 75W-90, previous name Shell Transaxle Oil 75W-90. He didn't currently have any of the Shell in stock, however his sister dealership in Ontario, CA had the Shell in stock and he could get it for me in a day or so from them. I passed on his offer for the Shell, and went with 3L of his in-stock PTX.

I still don't know what is in the recommended Porsche-branded P/N 000-043-305-49 trans oil containers, and neither did this parts veteran, but this dealership & their sister dealership has transparency on the PTX & Spirax S5, so all is good. I will change-out my trans oil with the PTX in the next day or so, and report my findings regarding troublesome 1st & 2nd gear engagements.
Bruce, I don't think you got the same PTX there we've all come to swear by. The original Mobillube PTX we've all been using is a 75W/90 oil and what you have pictured is not a 75W/80 oil - can't be the same stuff and the label on that bottle also has a date code of 2020 and we've been replacing our fluid with PTX well before then. The PET diagram also shows 75W/90 in the item description for the transmission fluid jug.

You might want to stock up on the Suncoast magic elixer we know works...

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/00004320420L.html

...before everyone changes over to this different (possibly Shell) formulation that may or may not be as good. Odds are a change was probably made due to environmental concerns, which means it probably has biodegradable vegetable oil in it instead of petroleum based stuff (I made that last part up), but with the weight being different, it's different.

I also find it odd that your transmission takes over 3 quarts when it seems like all the others take just a hair under, like 2.8 or something. Just wanted to make sure you were using the correct of the 2 fill holes - one is slightly higher than the other and will overfill the fluid level if that one is used vs the other. Looking in PET they are shown in two different parts diagrams and have the same Porsche part # for the "screw plug" 997.301.807.00 and those are different than the bottom "screw plug" which is a 210.997.003.02. I actually made this mistake when I did my first fill and was confused when I pumped in all 3 bottles with nothing coming out the fill hole - then I found the other plug and when I opened it, just about 0.2 quarts drained back out. I can't imagine you really need more than 3 bottles.

Last edited by Petza914; 01-22-2021 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:43 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,626 Likes on 974 Posts

Mr Petza, you have a sharp eye. Mr Slips2, your dealer gave you the wrong oil.... Not only is the weight incorrect, the oil in that bottle is a GL 4 (now that I read the bottle).

So to repeat what is in my manual "Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5"

The new Shell is the same spec (who know if it is exact formulation to be sure...).. from their tech sheet in my prior post: "GL-4/5 Spirax S5 ATE 75W-90 for sports cars".

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-22-2021 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:03 AM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Mr Petza, you have a sharp eye. Mr Slips2, your dealer gave you the wrong oil.... Not only is the weight incorrect, the oil in that bottle is a GL 4 (now that I read the bottle).

So to repeat what is in my manual "Mobilube PTX Formula A (SAE 75W-90) GL 4.5"

The new Shell is the same spec (who know if it is exact formulation to be sure...).. from their tech sheet in my prior post: "GL-4/5 Spirax S5 ATE 75W-90 for sports cars".

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Good catch guys, thanks! The PTX will go back tomorrow. I may give the Shell GL-4/5 Spirax S5 75W-90 from Ontario a try in my 2005 997.1 with 34K miles. Often when cold 1st gear is hard to get into, and the 1st to 2nd gear shift is "notchy". After 10 - 15 min and 5 - 10 miles things improve, but still not 100%. The transmission has fresh Redline 75W-90ns oil in it now.

Quick Reply: Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil