Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 06:29 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just put in an order for 3 Liters of PTX goodness from Suncoast this morning. I've got the tough-to-engage-when-cold 1st gear issue. Also my car is a 2005 and I have no records of the gear oil ever being changed. When I had the 964 there were clear difference between Redline and Delvac (I liked the Delvac a lot better) so I hope the PTX improves the shifting.

On another note I think my car is due for a brake/clutch bleed. I have a weird clutch pickup where it is very hard to engage the clutch an not have a small bucking action. No matter how smoothly or how abruptly I lift my foot off the clutch it is very hard to make a smooth shift, especially at high rev points.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:05 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like I'll be making the switch to PTX on Christmas eve.

Hoping for a Christmas miracle.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:02 PM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been following this thread with interest since I got my 2009 C2 a couple of months ago. The car has 131,000 kms (about 80,000 miles) on it and the transmission oil was changed by the previous owner at about 105k.
I was experiencing the same symptoms everybody here complains about - hard to get into first, etc.
I tried in vain to get hold of some PTX through a local Mobil lubricants distributor so I went to the local dealer and bought 3 litres of what they sell (at $50.00 a litre - that's about US$10 at the current exchange rate ). Not sure what it is exactly but I've attached a picture of the bottle.
This morning I got up early to go to the mall to do some Christmas shopping (and also to warm up the transmission oil). I put it up on stands following the "how to jack up a 997" thread and dumped the old gear oil. It looked clean when it was running out but I seem to have got more than 3 litres out of it. This kind of surprised me as the gear lube was changed by a very reputable dealer in Toronto. I'm wondering if they filled it using the upper filler hole.
Anyway, I added the new oil using a pump-up garden sprayer that I had modified. It worked great - took a little while as the thick oil worked its way through the small tubing. I buttoned it all up and took it for a drive. The transmission definitely shifts easier now so will monitor it over the next little while and report back. This is my daily driver so the real test will be when the temps drop down over the next few days. We'll see how it works then.
Cheers, Scott
Attached Images   
Old 12-22-2015, 06:59 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice work! The oil the dealers sell is generally the Shell equivalent of the Mobilube PTX. Either works very well.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:53 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I didn't know there were two different fill holes...
Old 12-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,555 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
There are on the 997.2 manuals. My indys new tech filled from the top one and after he put in the three litres i supplied, came back and said he needed more. I walked back and showed him the other and it was full. The tech had worked for years at a p dealer..... Apparently mine was the first he saw.

Our transmissions are Japanese, by the way.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-22-2015, 10:31 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
There may be two holes, but only the lower one is a fill hole!
Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 PM
fastm3
Racer

Originally Posted by lurchphil
Nice work! The oil the dealers sell is generally the Shell equivalent of the Mobilube PTX. Either works very well.
I changed with the Shell gear oil a couple of years ago, and it didn't help at all. I do hope the Shell and Mobilube are different products, because based on what everyone said here, I'm really hoping a gear oil change with Mobilube will finally improve my 1st gear jam situation.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:21 AM
motopix
Pro

Originally Posted by motopix
Exactly the problem. I had new tranny oil put in about 10k miles ago from another Indy I had been using. The tranny itself only has had about 10-20k miles at that point but the car was new to me and I wanted to get a fresh start on all fluids. No idea what they put in but based on what I know now, I'd guess it was Delvac. That seems to be the go to trans oils for most places. It's way cheaper (about $6-7 for Delvac from my new Indy/liter vs. $38/liter for PTX from Suncoast) and more available than PTX. But if PTX fixes the problem and last 100k+ miles, the cost is insignificant.

Today I had PTX put in. The oil in the there looked very clean coming out; I didn't do a smell or taste test on it's vintage. My initial reaction over 40 miles of shifting through traffic is that it fixed the problem.

I will report back after a couple of weeks.

Two weeks into PTX and the shifting is glorious: not a single 1st gear jam.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:41 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Funny how my $600 short shifter upgrade couldn't do what a $100 fluid changed did. I'm a believer now.

Pro Tip - make sure the car is level before removing the fill bolt or remove the drain plug first. I made a huge mess on the garage floor
Old 12-29-2015, 11:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,555 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Hey Bruce, you get your kickback check from Suncoast yet?
I wish I struck some sort of deal eh? I think my genius is that I read my manual. Interesting that just a fresh fluid can do so much.

I suspect it is all in getting just the right amount of friction for the cones to grab the dogs (?) or synchros (?).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-30-2015, 12:27 AM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

It's been more than two months after I switched to PTX.. No single jam!!! It used to jam few times every day.. Now I would say PTX resolves the issue !!! Go for it.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:16 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I think this thread deserves to be a sticke or maybe also be copied to the DIY section. Solved the problem for many of us.

I can imagine Porsche/Mobil wonder why all of a sudden consumtion is skyrocketing. All forecasts are thrown out the window

I also told my PC that they can use this if they get customers with similar issues. After all - nthey have 16 litres left
Old 12-30-2015, 08:28 AM
HolmaN
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll make sure to do this on my car when I take it out from the winter storage.
Current location of the car is in a "car-shop", so it's quite hard to do it there.
But it does jam sometimes and judging by all your replies, I'll for sure give it a shoot!
Old 12-30-2015, 02:29 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 60k service is right around the corner. I just had the fluid replaced due to tranny repair but it appears to be well worth the effort the have the tranny drained and this put in. I'm disappointed I didn't buy prior to tranny repair being completed. Perfect time then!!

Last edited by RaidersR1; 12-31-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil