Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,239 Likes on 796 Posts

I swapped fluid for a friend ... jackstands. Tight space under these cars. $30 for a lift is a deal and worth the wait, especially considering how cold the cement floors get in your territory!!! Good luck.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:19 AM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

About a month ago I had my indy install the Function-First Delrin Cable-End upgrade at the ends of the shifter linkage. I have to say that IMMEDIATELY after picking up the car, the "shift into first jam" just disappeared. Cold starts during below freezing temps, driving in city traffic, etc., 100% better. I highly recommend considering this upgrade for about $175 plus labor if you don't want to DIY.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:20 AM
rwdds
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry, should have included this:

http://www.function-first.com/produc...ter-cable-ends
Old 01-06-2018, 05:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 974 Posts
Default Saved Again by Mobilube!

2009 C2S 121K miles MT

So I noted in a few prior posts that my shifting was getting balky.... jamming going into 1st. So I just had a Getty station replace my Mobilube PTX and WOW again. Butter. Problem solved. I asked this in my original post: WHY? This time, I started getting the balky shifting at 35K miles on the then new PTX. 35K is not the 120K mile interval noted in my owner's manual. This is way off.

History: I don't know actually how many miles I had on my car when I first started getting the 1st gear jam but I finally had it and did my Hail Mary pass and had the fluid replaced with Mobilube (as spec'd in my manual) at 86K miles. Fixed..... then it started jamming at around 30K miles later (116K). At 116K, the jamming was not serious at all but I am hyper aware of this but yes, it started getting crunchy. Now at 121K, I had what I call a serious jam..... engine cold (yes a did a very light warmup) but at a light it jammed and I got a honk from the guy behind me. DONE! Change it!!!! I threw the Suncoast-sourced oil in my frunk and drove around until I found a Getty station that did full service.... I was ready for a bunch of hacks so I had my torque wrench and a hand crank pump to help them out... but these guys had all their own tools and knew what they were doing. They had a pressure pump tank dedicated to gear oil (yes, there was probably a tiny bit of contamination with another gear oil.... but the pump tank was empty so I didn't care). They pumped in the three quarts ($115 from Suncoast) but it was not completely filled. I was ready.... I asked them to keep a quart of the effluent... so they put back in some of the spent oil to top it off..... very little.. not sure but really it could not have been more than a 1/2 pint if that. I didn't care.

So I have a sample of the spent Mobilube with 35K miles on it and I am sending it to Blackstone for analysis. Porsche says this stuff should last 120K miles .... ha!!!

You do not have to suffer with a jamming 1st gear... change it for what is spec'd in your manual.... Mobilube PTX.... and beware, dealerships may not stock it and will fill with common Delvac.

My new service cycle for Mobilube PTX manual transmission fluid change is now 30K miles. Done. I will now order 4 quarts as it looks like my car takes a bit over 3.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-07-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:27 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 121K miles MT

So I noted in a few prior posts that my shifting was getting balky.... jamming going into 1st. So I just had a Getty station replace my Mobilube PTX and WOW again. Butter. Problem solved. I asked this in my original post: WHY? This time, I started getting the balky shifting at 35K miles on the then new PTX. 35K is not the 120K mile interval noted in my owner's manual. This is way off.

History: I don't know actually how many miles I had on my car when I first started getting the 1st gear jam but I finally had it and did my Hail Mary pass and had the fluid replaced with Mobilube (as spec'd in my manual) at 86K miles. Fixed..... then it started jamming at around 30K miles later (116K). At 116K, the jamming was not serious at all but I am hyper aware of this but yes, it started getting crunchy. Now at 121K, I had what I call a serious jam..... engine cold (yes a did a very light warmup) but at a light it jammed and I got a honk from the guy behind me. DONE! Change it!!!! I threw the Suncoast-sourced oil in my frunk and drove around until I found a Getty station that did full service.... I was ready for a bunch of hacks so I had my torque wrench and a hand crank pump to help them out... but these guys had all their own tools and knew what they were doing. They had a pressure pump tank dedicated to gear oil (yes, there was probably a tiny bit of contamination with another gear oil.... but the pump tank was empty so I didn't care). They pumped in the three quarts ($115 from Suncoast) but it was not completely filled. I was ready.... I asked them to keep a quart of the effluent... so they put back in some of the spent oil to top it off..... very little.. not sure but really it could not have been more than a 1/2 pint if that. I didn't care.

So I have a sample of the spent Mobilube with 35K miles on it and I am sending it to Blackstone for analysis. Porsche says this stuff should last 120K miles .... ha!!!

You do not have to suffer with a jamming 1st gear... change it for what is spec'd in your manual.... Mobilube PTX.... and beware, dealerships may not stock it and will fill with common Delvac.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce- that's great news it solved the balkiness again- I was concerned that the PTX was causing a wear problem in the transmission in exchange for smooth shifting and that you replacing it was not going to make a difference. Looking forward to hearing the results from your Blackstone analysis- but optimistically it won't turn up anything to be concerned about so that we can be happy knowing that the downside is 35K change intervals. We can live with that!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:07 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2s 122K miles MT

Got the BlackStone report back where they analyzed my 35K miles of use PTX fluid. Remember, Porsche notes this fluid should last 120K... they state this in my manual as the change interval. I have no real idea what to make of this except I am out $20. What I am happy to hear in their comments is not metal wear.... I am always worried that my 1st hear jamming may be do to something failing in there.... maybe this jamming is just part of the charm.

I put a message in with my sample noting I was getting some sticking in the transmission as the fluid aged/miles driven and wanted to know if the oil breakdown is somehow to blame. BlackStone commentary:

"Metals in this sample look fine, so there's no evidence of poor wear as a result of the issues you
noted. The viscosity was thin for PTX 75W/90, but we're not sure if that would account for the stickiness.
Universal averages show typical wear levels for a manual Porsche transaxle after ~14,60000 miles on the
oil. You ran 35,000 miles on this oil and wear metals are well below average levels. No water or other
contamination was found and insolubles read low at just a trace. Check back in 35,000 miles again, and let
us know if the stickiness returns."

Commentary?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 01-19-2018, 12:35 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been following your post with great curiosity hoping someone would have a good explanation. I've also been trying to find a detailed parts diagram for the transmission or a detailed cutaway to see if the shift shafts have ball or shaft detents that might be the cause. I know that some transmissions do, especially those with all-internal shift linkages, and if the detent in the first gear shift shaft is worn it would explain why a better lubricant might affect its operation.

Does anyone know if the Porsche manual has detents (with either ball or pin lockouts) on the shift shafts?
Old 11-23-2018, 08:45 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Late post, but does this help?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 01-05-2021, 03:15 PM
IrishLegend
Three Wheelin'

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

Where to buy?
Old 01-05-2021, 03:32 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,695 Likes on 4,253 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishLegend
Where to buy?
Have to mail order it from Suncoast parts or Sunset. It's only sold to them in large containers, so they distribute it in used oil bottles that they clean. You need 3 bottles to do the drain and refill and the bottles you get won't say MobilLube PTX on them, but that's what will be in them.
The following users liked this post:
IrishLegend (01-05-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 06:17 PM
patentguy
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

I did the PTX oil change on my 08 997 C2 Cab about 8 months ago. It fixed the first gear issue that I have been living with for 10 years about 95% better. Every so often it happens that I can't shift into first gear when stopped at a light without putting it into second gear first. So now that I have an almost perfect 997, it is on the market because I am getting a 992.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:21 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,544 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2s 122K miles MT

Got the BlackStone report back where they analyzed my 35K miles of use PTX fluid. Remember, Porsche notes this fluid should last 120K... they state this in my manual as the change interval. I have no real idea what to make of this except I am out $20. What I am happy to hear in their comments is not metal wear.... I am always worried that my 1st hear jamming may be do to something failing in there.... maybe this jamming is just part of the charm.

I put a message in with my sample noting I was getting some sticking in the transmission as the fluid aged/miles driven and wanted to know if the oil breakdown is somehow to blame. BlackStone commentary:

"Metals in this sample look fine, so there's no evidence of poor wear as a result of the issues you
noted. The viscosity was thin for PTX 75W/90, but we're not sure if that would account for the stickiness.
Universal averages show typical wear levels for a manual Porsche transaxle after ~14,60000 miles on the
oil. You ran 35,000 miles on this oil and wear metals are well below average levels. No water or other
contamination was found and insolubles read low at just a trace. Check back in 35,000 miles again, and let
us know if the stickiness returns."

Commentary?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Bruce, thanks for keeping this thread going and sharing the gear oil UOA. I changed out my gear oil with PTX Mobilube and really did not notice any significant difference. Only 25k miles but was 6 years old. BUT, as to fluid interval changes stated in the owner’s manual, these are the same people that say you can go 10k miles and 1 year to an oil change. My motto when it comes to fluids and filters has always been “if in doubt, change it out.” When I buy a used Porsche, I immediately change out ALL fluids and filters so I know what I have and I have a baseline. Oil change every at 6 mos which is usually about 2.5k miles because of fuel dilution concerns. Blackstone UOA on all oils. I also change ALL fluids and filters every 60k miles/6 years ignoring the manual. That is my maximum on any fluid. I change the transfer case gear oil on my wife’s Cayenne at every oil change (6 mos/5k miles) but that is another story. I am not going to nickel and dime my 911 on DIY maintenance that I can easily do myself on my Quick Jack.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:35 AM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

I also did the PTX change and it fixed the 1st gear jam probably 95%. I just had my shop install the Function First Shift Right bushings, cable ends, and engine mounts, and WOW all those things made a huge difference. I also upgraded the **** to an aluminum/wood shifter and that gives a slightly more direct feeling vs the stock plastic ****.

After all that, shifting into 1st feels more positive, and there is less notchyness and vagueness going into second. Once fully warmed up, it’s rifle bolt smooth and tight. No more side to side play in the shifter at all. My transmission finally shifts how I expected a Porsche to shift!

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Bruce, thanks for keeping this thread going and sharing the gear oil UOA. I changed out my gear oil with PTX Mobilube and really did not notice any significant difference. Only 25k miles but was 6 years old. BUT, as to fluid interval changes stated in the owner’s manual, these are the same people that say you can go 10k miles and 1 year to an oil change. My motto when it comes to fluids and filters has always been “if in doubt, change it out.” When I buy a used Porsche, I immediately change out ALL fluids and filters so I know what I have and I have a baseline. Oil change every at 6 mos which is usually about 2.5k miles because of fuel dilution concerns. Blackstone UOA on all oils. I also change ALL fluids and filters every 60k miles/6 years ignoring the manual. That is my maximum on any fluid. I change the transfer case gear oil on my wife’s Cayenne at every oil change (6 mos/5k miles) but that is another story. I am not going to nickel and dime my 911 on DIY maintenance that I can easily do myself on my Quick Jack.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:52 PM
slips2
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche OEM Transmission Oil

Anyone get verification the currently recommended Porsche OEM transmission oil, P/N 000-043-305-49-OEM, is the same as Mobilube PTX?

Here is a source for this trans oil: Pelican Parts Porsche OEM Transmission Oil 75W-90

I would like to get sealed liter bottles rather than hand-filled re-purposed containers from suncoastparts.com, plus the 1-day free shipping from Pelican is better than paid east-to-west coast shipping from Suncoast.

Thanks for any info provided!
Old 01-21-2021, 10:32 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slips2
Anyone get verification the currently recommended Porsche OEM transmission oil, P/N 000-043-305-49-OEM, is the same as Mobilube PTX?

Here is a source for this trans oil: Pelican Parts Porsche OEM Transmission Oil 75W-90

I would like to get sealed liter bottles rather than hand-filled re-purposed containers from suncoastparts.com, plus the 1-day free shipping from Pelican is better than paid east-to-west coast shipping from Suncoast.

Thanks for any info provided!
2009 C2S 168K miles

Your concern for getting sealed official bottles is understandable... but a bit extreme IMO. I have used SunCoast's PTX now three times.... yes I have a really wonky transmission. I don't see an issue at all. BTW, you may want to get 4 quarts as it takes a tad more than 3 for mine.
Regarding what is in the Porsche bottles... no one really knows. I have read conflicting information what the factory fill was and what is in those bottles. All I know is that my manual is very specific in denoting Mobilube PTX. So for me, that is what I use and I get it from Suncoast. Odd that I don't trust what is in the Porsche-labeled bottle but two dealers near me don't even use it, they use Delvac and were unaware of what was denoted in our Owner's manuals... at least that was true a few years ago.

New Shell alternative:

Now that Shell is producing a similar product, things get different for me. If I were to buy today, I would stick with PTX from SunCoast and should that dry up, I would jump to the Shell product and the ending of PTX and emergence of Shell tells me that Porsche switched suppliers. The issue is the GL rating. GL 4 is for manual transmission gears, GL 5 is for differentials.... two different duties and metal compositions. Porsche spec'd a 4.5 as our transmissions are both (a transaxle) and PTX and now the Shell is this spec.

So here is the Shell spec sheet for their new 75W-90 GL 4.5 where they denote it is for sports cars with transaxles - It is Spirax S5: https://prodepc.blob.core.windows.ne...en-GB)_TDS.pdf
The above sheet denotes the approved cars are Ferrari, Getrag (german transmission maker... my transmission is Japanese by Aisin), and some Mercedes Benz transmission. BTW, I found it available on eBay for $9 a liter .. odd only eBay and super cheap... hmmm... just make sure it is GL 4.5.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-22-2021 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil