Sponsored by:

Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I wish I struck some sort of deal eh? I think my genius is that I read my manual. Interesting that just a fresh fluid can do so much.

I suspect it is all in getting just the right amount of friction for the cones to grab the dogs (?) or synchros (?).

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I think it's a matter of trying to fix something that isn't broken.

A lot of oil mfrs will promise transmission rebuilds in a bottle, less friction, etc., and we tend to fall for the marketing hoopla instead of staying true to what works.

If you put 100k miles on a fill of gear oil, of course it won't perform as new. I think people confuse the degradation of oil with initial quality. If Porsche worked with Mobil to make this oil SPECIFICALLY for the Aisin transaxles, then we should probably stick to it.

I got my 3 liters in from Suncoast (fast shipping, by the way) almost two weeks ago, but haven't had time to make the switch. Holidays, and especially work around the holidays have made me extremely busy.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:25 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,431 Likes on 827 Posts

not sure why you guys are overpaying at suncoast instead of buying from sunset?
Old 12-31-2015, 02:26 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
I think it's a matter of trying to fix something that isn't broken.

A lot of oil mfrs will promise transmission rebuilds in a bottle, less friction, etc., and we tend to fall for the marketing hoopla instead of staying true to what works.

If you put 100k miles on a fill of gear oil, of course it won't perform as new. I think people confuse the degradation of oil with initial quality. If Porsche worked with Mobil to make this oil SPECIFICALLY for the Aisin transaxles, then we should probably stick to it.

I got my 3 liters in from Suncoast (fast shipping, by the way) almost two weeks ago, but haven't had time to make the switch. Holidays, and especially work around the holidays have made me extremely busy.
Please note that The Mobilube PTX was not in the transmission from factory. Then it was Shell Helix from the info I have. The Mobilube is specifically developed for syncing issues and supposed to be specifically designed for this by Porsche. See info on Mobil website:

http://www.mobil.com/Spain-English/L...TX_75W-90.aspx

MOBILUBE PTX 75W-90

Axle Oil

Product Description
Mobilube PTX is a SAE 75W-90 multipurpose gear lubricant. It has been developed to provide outstanding performance specifically in Porsche 911 transaxles. It provides low temperature fluidity with high temperature stability ensuring excellent wear protection in these transaxles over a wide range of operating conditions.

Features and Benefits
The combination of synthetic base fluid technology and special high performance additives have been carefully formulated to meet the low temperature fluidity requirements of Porsche. It also provides excellent synchromesh compatibility and 'shiftability', whilst maintaining excellent wear protection.

Mobil PTX provides the following benefits:

Excellent low temperature fluidity, giving easier gear changing from cold over conventional SAE 80W-90 and 75W-90 grades.
Excellent synchromesh compatibility / durability.
Good thermal /oxidative stability.
High level of wear protection under some of the most severe conditions.

Specifications and Approvals
MOBILUBE PTX 75W-90 has the following approval:
Approved TE-ML 11 X

Typical Properties
MOBILUBE PTX 75W-90
Viscosity
cSt @ 100ºC 14.5
cSt @ 40º C 77.6
Viscosity Index 195
Flash Point, ºC 226
Pour Point, ºC -60
Density kg/m3 849

Health and Safety
Based on available information, this product is not expected to produce adverse effects on health when used for the intended application and the recommendations provided in the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) are followed. MSDS's are available upon request through your sales contract office, or via the Internet. This product should not be used for purposes other than its intended use. If disposing of used product, take care to protect the environment.

The Mobil logotype and the Pegasus design are trademarks of ExxonMobil Corporation, or one of its subsidiaries.

9-2011

ExxonMobil Lubricants and Specialties Europe division of ExxonMobil Petroleum & Chemical b.v.b.a.
Polderdijkweg
B-2030 Antwerpen, Belgium

http://www.exxonmobil.com

Typical Properties are typical of those obtained with normal production tolerance and do not constitute a specification. Variations that do not affect product performance are to be expected during normal manufacture and at different blending locations. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. All products may not be available locally. For more information, contact your local ExxonMobil contact or visit www.exxonmobil.com
ExxonMobil is comprised of numerous affiliates and subsidiaries, many with names that include Esso, Mobil, or ExxonMobil. Nothing in this document is intended to override or supersede the corporate separateness of local entities. Responsibility for local action and accountability remains with the local ExxonMobil-affiliate entities.

Copyright © 2001-2015 Exxon Mobil Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:39 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
not sure why you guys are overpaying at suncoast instead of buying from sunset?
because sunset doesn't have it readily availble after a few clicks online. Heck I live 30 minutes from sunset porsche and I still bought mine from Suncoast. How much is it at sunset anyway?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:02 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 303 Likes on 179 Posts

What would the logic be for Porsche not to cover this under warranty? I've taken my car to them once and they can't fix the 1st gear issue and state that it happens on other cars therefor it's 'normal'. It hasn't bothered me enough to pester them too much but warranty runs out in about 4 months so if this fixes things it'd be nice of them to cover it.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,431 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
because sunset doesn't have it readily availble after a few clicks online. Heck I live 30 minutes from sunset porsche and I still bought mine from Suncoast. How much is it at sunset anyway?
all it takes is a quick email. the folks are very helpful and quick to respond.

1 liter/quart is $29. They also don't beat you up on shipping.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:37 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I checked with Sunset and they only carry the Shell 75w90.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:37 PM
motopix
Pro

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
all it takes is a quick email. the folks are very helpful and quick to respond.

1 liter/quart is $29. They also don't beat you up on shipping.
I'd have to see the delivery cost and time from Sunset.

For $7 more per liter delivered from Suncoast to VA, it's not an issue.

Originally Posted by lurchphil
I checked with Sunset and they only carry the Shell 75w90.
Well, there's that too.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:24 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed the gear oil today to Mobilube PTX and I am a Believer. Getting into 1st is easier but shifting through all the gears is now much much smoother. the 2-3 shift with PTX is buttery smooth.

This was well worth the $100 for the gear lube.

Thanks Bruce!
Old 01-09-2016, 06:29 PM
fastm3
Racer

My 997 is in the shop now for the gear oil change. Hopefully I can add my name to the list of all the satisfied folks here.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:20 PM
fastm3
Racer

Worked for me too. A couple of days now, and no first gear jam at all.

A big up to brother Bruce in Philly for uncovering this solution for us all. The car is SO much more enjoyable to drive...
Old 01-17-2016, 01:26 PM
BoomC2S
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddhamonk
+1
Old 01-17-2016, 04:13 PM
Swoody
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely on my to do list as soon as I return home. One of the (very few) things I dislike about this car is the occasional struggle and looking silly at a light trying to get it into 1st.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:49 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,626 Likes on 974 Posts

Originally Posted by Swoody
Absolutely on my to do list as soon as I return home. One of the (very few) things I dislike about this car is the occasional struggle and looking silly at a light trying to get it into 1st.
Try jamming at red light in the kindest of places, Northern NJ...... I am lucky I was only hit with horns and fingers and not bullets.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-19-2016, 02:47 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

I just did the swap this weekend. A few observations:

1. Holy hell, PTX feels like straight 30W motor oil. This stuff runs like water when cold! The difference between PTX and Royal Purple MaxGear 75W90 at garage temp (~45*f or so) was like water and molasses. The difference between PTX and RedLine ShockProof Lightweight was about the same. PTX was so light that it started to seep past the seals on the grease gun I use to fill transmissions. The other two gear oils didn't do that.

2. I only took the car for a ~10 mile test drive, but shifting into 1st gear feels much easier now. Especially when very cold. It has not, however, alleviated my crunchy 5th gear synchro issues when cold. It was very cold outside (3*f ambient) when I did the test drive, so that may have contributed to it. Shifting improved when I got the engine oil temp to normal operating temp and got some heat into the transmission. Every gear seemed to smoothen on every shift. Feels nice. With ShockProof and MaxGear, every shift seemed to require more effort. I imagine this is what happens when you run a gear oil with less kinematic viscosity when cold.

3. I also bled the hell out of my slave cylinder as I suspected I did not bleed it well enough when I replaced the clutch master.

4. I did not use all three liters of oil I ordered from Suncoast. I had about 1/8 of a liter left. I drained my transmission when hot, too. My car sits on a slight forward incline on my lift at home, so that may have contributed to it.

5. I know Suncoast orders PTX by the gallon (probably a 55 gallon drum), but the packaging they use is kinda chintzy. A small quibble. The information labels are printed on normal printer paper with adhesive backing, and the information on the label themselves are not legible. Again, a small quibble. I will gladly take this over having to order a king-size drum of this stuff myself.

Quick Reply: Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil