Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:27 PM
3putt4DG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my 2006 C2S to my indy today to have transmission fluid changed. He provides Redline G5.0. I showed him the research on another thread referenced here that says G4.5 is actually the "right" fluid. He got 3 quarts from the P dealer. He showed me the bottle. He said the parts guy told him that the manufacturer changes from time to time. Today the fluid they use and install is made by Shell. The bottle had the Porsche logo on it but no branding. Just a white bottle with a part number. The dealer parts guy told him they just put the same fluid in a 2011 GT3 RS. IT is easier to shift into 1st after the change. Will see what happens over time. I had a slight grind shifting into 5th when cold. Need to get up to 5th gear speed to see if that is solved.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:45 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 242 Posts

So I changed to PTX 4 weeks ago and I can confirm that it has improved my shifting (not only 1st gear jam). I wouldn't say it completely eliminate 1st gear jam occurrences BUT it greatly reduced it. Before PTX, 1st gear jam would happen one or twice a day; after PTX, 1st gear jam happens maybe 1 or twice in a MONTH

so mathematically speaking it reduced my 1st gear jam occurrences by 97% and I am happy. Other spent thousands to get that kind of improvement and I got it spending a few hundreds $ (yeah the Canadian $ is low right now) BIG Thanks to Bruce for this PSA
Old 08-16-2016, 04:10 PM
henkinc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LowBee data please

LooBee - may I ask the year and mileage on your car?

For all - I will be putting a PTX change in my 2010 S with 38k miles in a a week or so. It is ok now, but I want to see what new PTX will do.
Charlie
Old 08-16-2016, 04:22 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by henkinc
LooBee - may I ask the year and mileage on your car?
2006 with 40,000 miles [64,000 KM]
Old 08-17-2016, 01:34 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For all - I will be putting a PTX change in my 2010 S with 38k miles in a a week or so. It is ok now, but I want to see what new PTX will do.
Charlie
Please report back with your results, Charlie. Changing it in my 2010 C4S didn't seem to make any difference in already OK shifting. I wonder if the factory filled with PTX beginning in 2010.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:05 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I think factory has never filled it with PTX from beginning. The oil is developed for transmissions with synch issues.
I can report that after using it the whole year its a dramatic improvement. When the engine is dead cold I can still get jams but very seldom. When warm I never have any issues at all.

To go from first to second is the same thing. A bit notchy sometimes when tranny is dead cold but perfect when warm. Also to shift down from third to second. Even on the track. Will never use std oil again. Always PTX
Old 08-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Just changes to PTX this morning.

2005, 997.1. Occasional crunchiness going from first to second. Rare to have an issue getting the car into first from a stop.

After the change, the 1-2 shift is now fine. Smooth as I could hope for.

So it seems the stuff works.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:18 AM
henkinc
Racer

Default PTX experiment in 2010 C2 S with 38k miles

Had it changed a week ago. Can report noticeable improvement. Car was ok before, with occasional 1st gear resistance. Now that is fixed. In addition, there is a more buttery feel on all shifts.
My wrench said the fluid in the car looked fine. Can't say it was PTX.
Note- the suppler of the PTX was Sunset Imports of Beaverton, Oregon. Had best price ($28 per liter), but I failed to analyze the time and cost to Virginia. Took a week. Sunset says they buy the liter bottles from the dealer who has a 50 liter (gallon?) barrel of the stuff. So it appears the dealers (in Oregon anyway) use PTX.
Also, the $13 Al O-rings ("gasket" in dealer terminology) are ludicrous. My wrench has a collection of metal O-rings in which there were a seeming match. Wonder what the dealer charges for these!

Bottom line - I fell this was worthwhile for my low mileage 6 year old series 2 997.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,542 Likes on 4,163 Posts

LN Engineering sells a pack of 5 aluminum washers for $4.95. They're the same size used on the motor oil drain plug.

http://lnengineering.com/magnetic-drain-plug-washers-pack-of-5.html

Originally Posted by henkinc
Also, the $13 Al O-rings ("gasket" in dealer terminology) are ludicrous.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:37 AM
AllstaRawR
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal
After the change, the 1-2 shift is now fine. Smooth as I could hope for.

So it seems the stuff works.
Was just looking into this today. Drat, I don't really want to change my transmission fluid, but my 1-2 shift gets caught sometimes. Worth the chance, I guess.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:11 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by AllstaRawR
Was just looking into this today. Drat, I don't really want to change my transmission fluid, but my 1-2 shift gets caught sometimes. Worth the chance, I guess.
2009 C2s 101K miles

I think some folks are hanging too much on this PTX stuff. While PTX fixed my 1st gear jam, I still have and always had a 1-2 gear crunch/notchyness. I have it in my 2009 C2S and had it in my 2000 Boxster S (had the same trans as a 911).

These transmissions are not buttery smooth.... they clack, crunch, and notch (is that a verb?). However, this fluid does seem to wear out way way before the 120K miles service interval stated in my manual. So, YMMV

BTW, the smoothest manual transmission I ever owned was in a Honda.

Recommendation: When you make the switch, wait a few weeks of good driving to post the results. I found that if you change your shifting behaviour.... like making definitive straight line movements and not arcs... you can improve shifting feel. I believe you (as I did) will naturally change your behaviours when you pay attention to what you are doing and therefore, may not be experiencing improvements from the oil... kinda like the placebo effects. It happened to me when I installed the Numeric shifter hoping it would improve my 1st gear jam...... guess what... it did.... for a few weeks. Then when I was in pressure traffic in a nasty N. New Jersey city, and I was not paying attention to my shifting.... JAM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08-30-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:18 PM
henkinc
Racer

I agree with Bruce down the line. My Acura SH-AWD TL manual is the best shifting car I ever owned. My 2010 C2S really does seem easier to shift into 1st from neutral. So I am sticking to my story. But the other gear shifts are what they are in a Porsche, what with cables and all, and I can't say they are markedly improved. Maybe a bit more buttery.
Hey, I needed brake fluid change, and this cost maybe another 200$ with my indy wrench, maybe $250 with all the shipping and stuff. Worth it to me to find out.
I guess I would say if you have a series 2 (or whenever they for sure started using PTX - how would you know??) and have no particular issues, no need to replace for 120k miles, like it says in the book. If it seems to shift in a balky fashion, replace the fluid at any time.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:40 PM
mikeson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody knows those washer's poem part number?
I can't find and now sure which one I have to order.
Thanks
Old 12-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Swoody
Racer

Bringing this back from the dead.... Month or so ago, bring my car into dealership for annual service, Had them mount new tires etc...Also I brought the Mobil PTX I purchased and wanted them to use it and do a trans service. A bit later in day my SA calls me and says the "guys" ran the part number and said it came back as some kind of front differential oil or the like and would not use it in my transmission. I let them (stupidly) do the trans service anyway. Waste of time and oil (& $$)...it feels exactly as it did before, which isn't terrible but still has the balky feel to it going into 1st that most of you posting here have felt. Anyway...I am posting from Bering Sea and as soon as I am home I am doing the PTX change and am sure I will experience the same results as read in this post.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:36 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the first things I did when I got my .2 C4S this past summer was change out the transmission fluid with PTX. I thought I did everything right- made sure my Kwiklift ramps were level, drained and refilled using the correct fill port toward the front of the gearbox. Strangely, it took all of the 3 litres I could give it, without the dripping out of the hole. I was one of those guys that after the change didn't feel the postivie difference that so many were experiencing.

Fast forward to yesterday- I got to spend some quality time under the car. I did my first oil change to Motul 5W-40, and figured I'd do the front diff and AWD controller, too- the car has 11K miles on it, but the AWD controller is 6yr/60K interval so I figured I'd do it now. I also took another shot at PTX (I had had two unfortunate gear grind mis-shifts in the last couple of months and that's been bothering me), so I drained and refilled the PTX, but this time until it wouldn't take anymore and began dripping out of the fill hole- I'm guessing maybe 3.1-3.2 litres.

Already on the test drive, shifting was much better, even when the transmission is cold- First, easy. Second, able to get into it much faster than before. I don't think it's placebo effect, either, but it seems strange that just a little more fluid would make that much of a difference.

Quick Reply: Why? Fixed 1st gear jam with new PTX gear oil