What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 12:26 AM
hamishpotter
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jayi836
Great looking wheels too.
were those Techart's painted or PC'd? have not seen that combination, they're stunning
The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 12:32 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuchar
I added front aerokit

Nice work, from my home country

Are you planning on lowering it?
jayi836 (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019, 11:12 PM
Ohio Performance
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 188 Likes on 77 Posts

Last week I took her to the dealer (Gasp!) to get new MP4S put on as my Bridgestones were starting to show their cords..(whoops). While at the dealer they informed me that my TPMS batteries were dead and it would cost $1300 for replacements. Nope. I politely declined and went back to the technician working on my car. I asked him if he would be so kind to program out the TMPS on my car if I emailed him the directions. He agreed and we got it done. No more TPMS. (I can plug it back in and reprogram if needed) Well on the way home I was stuck between two cars when a deer carcass was hit. It broke my front lip. Excuse to buy another one!

As a side note. I was not able to attache the door guard strip to the bottom of the lip as it was too smooth. Ill have to wait until it gets scratched from scraping which should be tomorrow :-/

Next I set out to try the new steamer I purchased to clean some of the road gunk off (animal and grease) I picked up the McCulloch MC1275 and I have to say I am impressed at the output! It will give me something to do over the winter. Don't judge.

Next I've been meaning to test out the "Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat" - It supposedly wont wash off, not oily. and lasts up to 6 months. I'll put that to the test.
First you have to wash the tires with a de-greaser (I used simple green); Then you apply the sealant with a sponge. It first goes on white then quickly dries to a nice sheen. One could always layer it on to get additional shine.

Oh and went on some fun weekend drives with fellow motor-heads and found a natural spring park down some dirt roads.

2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp

jayi836 (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:33 AM
ghostcow
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove a 2017 Macan 2017 GTS, time for a change from the 997? Sigh, sure would be much more fun taking the dogs to the beach in that versus the Ford f-150, seemed like a fun, versatile choice. Decisions, decisions but unfortunately maxed out on car space so one car has to go and F-150 is the tow vehicle so it has to stay.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:50 AM
hamishpotter
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostcow
Drove a 2017 Macan 2017 GTS, time for a change from the 997? Sigh, sure would be much more fun taking the dogs to the beach in that versus the Ford f-150, seemed like a fun, versatile choice. Decisions, decisions but unfortunately maxed out on car space so one car has to go and F-150 is the tow vehicle so it has to stay.
Perhaps you could settle on a Cayenne v8 diesel?
Old 07-20-2019, 02:45 AM
ghostcow
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hamishpotter, Thanks for the Interesting idea and almost forgot about the Cayenne diesel, but Ford is 2009, paid off and runs great so don't think I could justify the 35-45 K for a tow vehicle. We have a Mazda 3 (wife's car), 997.2 and the F-150 so the 997 is my commuter car and only get to unwind the 997 on rare occasions or autocross days, I don't see myself doing many track days so...Macan would make great commuter car but would also be great for the Pacific NW weather and lifestyle while also being reasonable fun. First world problems I suppose
hamishpotter (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 02:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by dmpslc
Took delivery of my GT3Tek Rear Lip - initial impressions are just ok, need to talk to them before I attempt an install.

Then a quick ride with a small group up Little Cottonwood Canyon.
One guy showed up in a new to him 2018 GT3 in Chalk.
One guy found a pinhole leak in the coolant reservoir.
And the bus lead us out for the first few miles up the canyon, slowly...

If anyone is in SLC, UT you are more than welcome to join. Saturday and/or Sunday mornings, usually early (7am), almost always breakfast. Chill group who mostly respects the speed limit - especially around other traffic. PM me here or look for me on Instagram @streetsnotshowrooms.
Nice little gathering there with a beautiful backdrop. Just curious. Why are these meets (not just yours) always so damn early? Getting up at 6am on a Saturday or Sunday for a car meet is something I could try but I bet the alarm would just be turned off and back to sleep I went.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:49 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

I hated one aspect of my car ever since I bought it and that was the lights, all exterior lights had been sprayed with high quality tinted epoxy.

So I removed all lights (headlights, front bumper lights and tail lights) and sanded that epoxy off since nothing else worked. I tried carb cleaner and maf etc with no success.

So after a good 10 hours of work split in 2 days with 2 headlight restauration kits, all my lights are back to stock and I prefer that by far. Hated that pimped gangster look.

Now seriously considering removing the window tint.... decisions decisions...
Old 07-20-2019, 12:00 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Car related - the house I bought 5-6 years ago had a rigged storage shelf that went across the garage and was supported by some metal straps and nails into the side walls and a center column that is probably steel but surrounded by wood then sheetrock. Old bike wheels, tires holiday decorations, fluorescent bulbs and other misc junk were stored there. I wasn't really comfortable having the Porsche underneath this so this AM while it was still cloudy and the sun was low. I cleaned out the shelf and garage and cut it all down. This is a step in a larger project to install cabinets (1 completed so far) a workbench and storage for spare tires and wheels.

Since buying the car, I have had all of the time and mileage maintenance up to date despite only 13k miles on the car. Got my first UOA back and it's stellar. Next major expense will be to buy a new extended Fidelity Platinum warranty and get a rebate on the current one. The goal being to have a relatively worry free 57,000 miles between now and August 2026.
Old 07-20-2019, 12:04 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Steph1
Now seriously considering removing the window tint.... decisions decisions...
Smart moves. Depending where you live, you might miss that window tint. Cars that look really good without window tint in my view are almost all of those that appropriately have cocoa floor mats.

Examples might be 2002s, BMW CSIs, old 911s, etc.

Window tint would ruin this car IMHO.

Old 07-20-2019, 03:10 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Yeah, always hated the pimped look of a tinted car. Lets say that if my 997 never had them, it is guarantied that I never would have done it.

But still on the fence.... biggest argument is that when I lower the targa roof, trying to see through both the tinted glass roof top and the tinted hatch window, renders the rear view non-existant.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:27 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Yeah, always hated the pimped look of a tinted car. Lets say that if my 997 never had them, it is guarantied that I never would have done it.

But still on the fence.... biggest argument is that when I lower the targa roof, trying to see through both the tinted glass roof top and the tinted hatch window, renders the rear view non-existant.
That is no joke. Drove a friends 997.1 Targa and couldn't see anything from rear view mirror, had to use the side mirrors.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Unfortunately, tint in the South is a necessary evil and makes a huge difference to inside temperatures of the car. The light tint on my 997 is perfect and doesn't effect drivability at all, even at night. The dark tint on the side windows of my Cayenne is way too dark and is being removed and replaced with the lighter grade of tint for driving at night, but the windows do go well with the Pano roof. The ceramic tints are more effective than regular tint even in a lighter shade.

But I also prefer tinted taillights like those on my 997 so to each their own.

jayi836 (07-22-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 06:19 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 421 Posts

I live in Pasadena, CA where it is sunny 360 days a year.
My car is a So. Cal. (San Diego) car and came with Huper Optik Ceramic tint.
It was clearly a very high end job. The tint was perfect BUT I would argue, the car looks 100x better without it.
I might have to go with clear ceramic film at some point because it gets over 90 here mid July and stays there during the day until late September...but the car looks undeniably cleaner and more proper without dark tint. Removing such a high level tint job was hard to do but it was one of the first things I did to the car.
I am just saying.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:23 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger

I live in Pasadena, CA where it is sunny 360 days a year.
My car is a So. Cal. (San Diego) car and came with Huper Optik Ceramic tint.
It was clearly a very high end job. The tint was perfect BUT I would argue, the car looks 100x better without it.
I might have to go with clear ceramic film at some point because it gets over 90 here mid July and stays there during the day until late September...but the car looks undeniably cleaner and more proper without dark tint. Removing such a high level tint job was hard to do but it was one of the first things I did to the car.
I am just saying.
Well that's not fair - the before picture is with lobsters and the after with GT3 wheels, so of course the second picture looks better LOL

GT3 are my favorite 997 OEM wheels and why that's what's on my wife's car.
hamishpotter (07-21-2019)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?