What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 08:58 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ric-ko
I'd love to do this!
Follow this link to the RL post on doing the Chrono to VDO Clock swap. The clock was $45 and I was able to purchase a pre-made connector from a fellow RL member.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...k-options.html
Old 08-03-2019, 11:05 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Took her out for a drive, and photo.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:22 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Just came back from a 50 mile drive through some nice two lane roads in Millstone Township NJ.
The following users liked this post:
Dartmouth (08-05-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 03:36 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by lmaternick
I'm about to order these. Keep us updated. Also anyone know of a discount code valid right now for Rennline?
Update. So I figured there was no way the vibrations I was getting were ok, so I bought some crows feet ratchets, so I could properly torque the assemblies before re-installing them.

i still get some vibrations, but now that I have assembled them to the correct torque, they are so much more daily drivable. They are now a thumbs up for me!
Old 08-03-2019, 06:32 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep in mind as well that your trans mount can contribute to the harmonics. While the trans mount may not be as exercised as the engine mounts it is a factor in the tri factor with our cars. Mine are ordered and I cant imagine they will be worse than my 15 year old saggy OEM. I'll review them as you have. Thanks for the input. Don't want to stray too far off track here but you had a complaint....did you try the different combinations of dampers? Can you explain your choice of dampers...since you have choices with these mounts? One would assume that the softest would be nearest to what you had but that might set up an irregular harmonic with the trans mount. Perhaps the mid denure would not have the same effect.
Just wondering.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:30 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Keep in mind as well that your trans mount can contribute to the harmonics. While the trans mount may not be as exercised as the engine mounts it is a factor in the tri factor with our cars. Mine are ordered and I cant imagine they will be worse than my 15 year old saggy OEM. I'll review them as you have. Thanks for the input. Don't want to stray too far off track here but you had a complaint....did you try the different combinations of dampers? Can you explain your choice of dampers...since you have choices with these mounts? One would assume that the softest would be nearest to what you had but that might set up an irregular harmonic with the trans mount. Perhaps the mid denure would not have the same effect.
Just wondering.
I have the softest inserts (yellow) and I wouldn’t recommend going any harder unless you track the car all the time. IMO, going with harder inserts will push the NVH to annoying levels. I think that the yellows take it to the limit to what is enjoyable vs just having a dreadful humming and vibrating car.

Based in other reviews I’ve read, the blue inserts just basically increase the NVH without having a noticeable difference on the benefits provided by the mounts.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:35 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

good info. Thanks. I'll start with the yellow and see how that goes.
Joehatz (08-04-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 10:11 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Today I finally gathered the courage to remove all the window tint. Was very good quality stuff, but I hate tinted windows and how it affects vision, especially at night.

So removed the tint from all my lights ( headlights, tail lights and front bumper lights) a few weeks ago and now the windows are done.

Much better car 😎
Old 08-03-2019, 10:17 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,514 Likes on 4,149 Posts

Added some garage decor

Ohio Performance (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 03:47 AM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

good info. Thanks. I'll start with the yellow and see how that goes.
Do the mounts come with all the different colored bushings?
Old 08-04-2019, 09:50 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 399 Likes on 202 Posts
Default This is What I Get for Missing My Service Intervals...

Well, since I’ve been putting fewer miles on my 2010 4S Cab over the last 2 years as I’ve been rotating between this, the 1968 911L and the winter beater (2012 Cayenne S), I lost the plot on my regular service interval for the 997.2. So I guess it serves me right that as I dropped it off with my Indy for what I assumed would be a regular oil service service and new plugs, I got a series of unpleasant surprises for work that I hadn’t anticipated....

Just to set the stage, since buying it CPO’d in 2013 this car has been absolutely bullet proof, with no issues at all even through three full years of it being my DD here in Chicago. However, with 85k on the clock the mileage has caught up to me and I had to take care of some wear items that all ended up converging at once. In addition to the regular oil service and new plugs, my Indy found that my drive belt was frayed, I needed to replace a front right CV boot (the front left was replaced under CPO back in 2016), I had to replace the front control arms & struts, and it turned out that I was on the last 1mm on my brake pads all around. Add to that a four-wheel alignment just for gags and the result was a bit of unexpected sticker shock .

The good news is that given the magnitude of this work on my 997.2, I’ve decided to defer any thoughts on upgrading to something newer for the team being. I have been looking at moving into a 991.2 Turbo Cab or a 991.2 Targa 4 GTS, but given the check I just wrote I plan on enjoying all the work as the car feels GREAT again . So I guess I just saved myself some coin - at least for now...
Old 08-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Sweeny40yrds
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Castle Combe

Just got my first ever 911 (997 gen2) a few weeks ago, only driven 200 miles and I'm still learning. TBH its quite hard to cope with the speed but I'm getting there. Got up a 9am and drove down to Castle Combe racing circuit in Wiltshire UK , there was no traffic, no speed cams, no ,you know who, just a 50 mile perfect drive on a very fast road.

When I got to the circuit there was not a soul on the track, a place graced by Senna, Mansell , Nikki and all the greats. I'd have given anything just to have snuck into the course, just for one run. Don't think I'm good enough to do a track day yet but the 911 is the best thing I've ever bought or ever sat in. What is it with these cars ?

Rgds
Alan
FlatsixS (08-19-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

189 miles give or take through some of Idahos lower mountains.

Ohio Performance (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 10:11 PM
Aclmin
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts

Installed H&R lowering springs, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (245 and 305 'Track Connect' versions), 6mm compensation plates on front (nothing on rear), RSS 15mm spacers front and rear, and DSC Sport controller - the DSC controller makes a pretty significant difference to daily driveability - Sport mode used to be teeth crunching, now, it's completely doable, even with the H&Rs and crappy Houston roads. Using the 6mm compensation plates has evened out the drop - a lot of pictures of H&R springs showed less gap in the front, I feel mine is very even (Part number 996-343-511-00)

Also did RSS engine mounts, and DTX transmission fluid - gear changes are noticeably easier, it feels like the whole gearbox has loosened up. Oil change and filters also completed.

The gif is a before and after: Stock PASM on 'small' tires, vs H&R springs and 'meaty' tires (I would use 'CRTL+' to zoom in)
https://media.giphy.com/media/WRjVYE...bfVY/giphy.gif
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by Aclmin:
irnnr (08-05-2019), jeebus31 (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 10:20 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Aclmin
Installed H&R lowering springs, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 (245 and 305), 6mm compensation plates on front (nothing on rear). RSS 15mm spacers front and rear and DSC Sport controller - the DSC controller makes a pretty significant difference to daily driveability - Sport mode used to be teeth crunching, now, it's completely doable, even with the H&Rs and crappy Houston roads.

Also did RSS engine mounts, and DTX transmission fluid - gear changes are noticeable easier, it feels like the whole gearbox has loosened up. Oil change and filters also completed.

The gif is a before and after: Stock PASM on 'small' tires, vs H&R springs and 'meaty' tires
https://media.giphy.com/media/WRjVYE...bfVY/giphy.gif
Beautiful Carrera! I'm in Houston too - hit me up via PM if you ever want together. I love wrenching and photographing these cars.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?