Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 04:52 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Default What did you do to your 997 today?

Originally Posted by Supermode
Took her to the Cubs game!

Nice. Great year for the Cubs. Great looking car...T
Old 09-22-2015, 10:37 AM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supermode
Took her to the Cubs game!

Beautiful car. Go Pirates!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:10 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Just curious and willing to ask what may very well be a stupid question ... what happens if you use Blackfire on a Midnight Blue car? Mine is a DD that sees many miles of Highway 101 construction zones each day. Needless to say, I have one or two chips on the hood that expose the white primer underneath! So I have debated options ... I am not looking at a permanent repair until after construction is "complete" at the end of next year. So I am debating the temporary band aid. Will this help hide the primer?
Blackfire is great on any paint, but in my view is really excellent on dark colors.
However it is not black in color or intended to act as a filler (if I understood that part of your question correctly).

For stone chips that expose primer I think it is it best to use some touchup paint.
I've used these guys for supplies several times and they match the Porsche paint codes very well in my experience.

http://automotivetouchup.com/
Old 09-22-2015, 04:15 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

I drove 350 miles from Jaksonville FL to Ft Lauderdale FL. Doing the return trip on Thursday. Love it....
Old 09-22-2015, 04:55 PM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Default What did you do to your 997 today?

Originally Posted by ezdriver
I drove 350 miles from Jaksonville FL to Ft Lauderdale FL. Doing the return trip on Thursday. Love it....
I-95 or did you get a chance to get on to some back roads?
T
Old 09-23-2015, 12:17 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by EMC2
Blackfire is great on any paint, but in my view is really excellent on dark colors.
However it is not black in color or intended to act as a filler (if I understood that part of your question correctly).

For stone chips that expose primer I think it is it best to use some touchup paint.
I've used these guys for supplies several times and they match the Porsche paint codes very well in my experience.

http://automotivetouchup.com/
Thanks. I was thinking Dr Colorchip, but I will check this out as well.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:55 AM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
I-95 or did you get a chance to get on to some back roads?
T
Just got back. I95 all the way. Not much good back roads between Jacksonville and Fort Lauderdale where I could exercise the car. I was able to do long runs at 90+ and several at 110 mph! Problem is that I had guys in Ford F150 diesel trucks also doing over 100 mph. I enjoyed the ride though ... loved listening to the exhaust note so no radio.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:04 AM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Took a little Trip to California-6,000 miles

Every year we try to cross something off the bucket list, so these past three weeks we spent driving to San Fransisco and back from our home in Central Ontario in our 997S taking in the northern mid-west, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse ( it will knock your sock off!), the Rockies, desert, wild fires, unheard of 104 degree sunny and beautiful SF, the Utah Salt Flats -I could go on and on.
Car ran flawlessly, only incident was a bull's eye rock chip on the pass side of windshield just outside Casper, WY. Bummer as the glass was still pretty good.
Some stats and trivia-
(1) average highway (local/sightseeing trips excluded) speed for the three week trip was 76 mph (took a pic of the dash et end of each day) Usually drove 8 mph over the limit, a bit faster "sometimes". The few cops that I saw just looked at me.
(2) fuel consumption was lousy at 18 mpg on the way west partly due to speed, the headwinds through the mid-west and ever increasing elevation to almost 10,000 ft. On the return trip the tail winds of almost 25 mph yielded an improvement to 24 mpg. I'm quite content with the overall consumption as I had done a pretty thorough tune-up prior to the trip.
(3) I saw only a handful of. 911's of any description throughout the trip. Now one returned my acknowledgement wave save for a fellow in a handsome dark blue 996 Turbo that blew by me on Sep. 6 while descending the valley into Sacramento.
(4) Nebraskans are the friendliest lot, have the lousiest (in ill repair) highways and most highway reconstruction.
(5) disappointed with the general state of cars in Northern California. I thought that we had clunkers! Didn't really see any really cool sports cars or hot rods.
(6) In Idaho Falls, we found the most well appointed Fairfield Inn and Suites with the best restaurant just down the street called Elevation 486 overlooking the beautiful majestic gorge below- what a setting and atmosphere.
(7) Weather was fabulous thought. In 22 days, it only rained the second and last day of the trip. The rest of the time was sunny and hot.
All in all a great road trip in the comfort of a great and modern sports car Now I have to get back to finishing my RST build.
Cheers,
Johan
Old 09-25-2015, 05:50 AM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Uwon
Every year we try to cross something off the bucket list, so these past three weeks we spent driving to San Fransisco and back from our home in Central Ontario in our 997S taking in the northern mid-west, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse ( it will knock your sock off!), the Rockies, desert, wild fires, unheard of 104 degree sunny and beautiful SF, the Utah Salt Flats -I could go on and on.
Car ran flawlessly, only incident was a bull's eye rock chip on the pass side of windshield just outside Casper, WY. Bummer as the glass was still pretty good.
Some stats and trivia-
(1) average highway (local/sightseeing trips excluded) speed for the three week trip was 76 mph (took a pic of the dash et end of each day) Usually drove 8 mph over the limit, a bit faster "sometimes". The few cops that I saw just looked at me.
(2) fuel consumption was lousy at 18 mpg on the way west partly due to speed, the headwinds through the mid-west and ever increasing elevation to almost 10,000 ft. On the return trip the tail winds of almost 25 mph yielded an improvement to 24 mpg. I'm quite content with the overall consumption as I had done a pretty thorough tune-up prior to the trip.
(3) I saw only a handful of. 911's of any description throughout the trip. Now one returned my acknowledgement wave save for a fellow in a handsome dark blue 996 Turbo that blew by me on Sep. 6 while descending the valley into Sacramento.
(4) Nebraskans are the friendliest lot, have the lousiest (in ill repair) highways and most highway reconstruction.
(5) disappointed with the general state of cars in Northern California. I thought that we had clunkers! Didn't really see any really cool sports cars or hot rods.
(6) In Idaho Falls, we found the most well appointed Fairfield Inn and Suites with the best restaurant just down the street called Elevation 486 overlooking the beautiful majestic gorge below- what a setting and atmosphere.
(7) Weather was fabulous thought. In 22 days, it only rained the second and last day of the trip. The rest of the time was sunny and hot.
All in all a great road trip in the comfort of a great and modern sports car Now I have to get back to finishing my RST build.
Cheers,
Johan
I've been on a few of those roads, although not in one trip. Great story, any pics?
T
Old 09-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 766 Posts

Just under 62K miles ... Swapped my front rotors and pads out the other night after work. Kudos to the Porsche engineers for making it so simple.

Went out to seat them before dinner and was amazed at how quickly and smoothly the PDK transitions (65432 in the display in about a half second) to assist the slowdown. I had read about this but not tested it before. Panic braking is something I (try) to avoid!

I (somehow) continue to gain more respect for this beast!
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2015, 12:51 PM
upier
Racer

Replaced the cabin filter on my 997.2. Very easy. Hardest part was that a couple of the T30 screws on the bracket were put on with an air wrench. Was only expecting a few ft lbs not 100.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:18 PM
964polar
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Changed my transmission fluid. Found Mobilube PTX 75W-90 in Germany in 1 liter bottles. Shifts like silk.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:25 PM
throwinbombs.com
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed Blackvue DR650GW-2CH with Magic Power Pro

Hi all,

I installed my Blackvue DR650GW-2CH with Power Magic Pro.

It's pretty slick.

Have a great NFL Sunday!
And Go Jays!
Andy

Last edited by throwinbombs.com; 09-27-2015 at 02:26 PM. Reason: wrong name
Old 09-27-2015, 06:25 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

MOUNTED: CCW C14 - 9x18 and 12x18 on Nitto NT01
FLUSHED: Brake fluid with Motul RBF 600
ADDED: OMP Superturismo steering wheel, OMP steering wheel spacer and wired it for lights, horn and indicators.

Now ready for a Road America track day this Friday!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:11 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 380 Likes on 247 Posts

Changed out the Bose to aftermarket speakers.
Leatherique the interior
Bought a roof rack!

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?