Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 11:16 PM
makemann
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PC's 997S
Hopefully see you at the SEMPCA Spring Dustoff....seems so far away!
That would be great. Is there a date set?
Old 12-07-2014, 12:54 AM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rain ... changed out old wipers ...
Old 12-07-2014, 04:16 PM
PC's 997S
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by makemann
That would be great. Is there a date set?

It's usually in April...look for your P4 Newsletter in early spring.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:44 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe we should start a slightly new thread: "What did your 997 DO TO YOU?"

Today it threw an "engine fan failure" message on the central cluster display, just when my wife said "It's a beautiful afternoon and we should go for a drive with our daughter" as we were returning home from lunch.

So what did I do to my 997 today? Parked it. Left the engine compartment open to cool down. Tested it after sundown and the error message disappeared.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:05 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FFSstavros
@PC's 997S Thanks, I believe they are the RoTTec LEDs, but there are literally no markings of any manufacturer just the government stuff. And, I bought them 2nd hand from a fellow rennlister who was downgrading their 997.1.
In my case I'd call it an upgrade. I just took down my LED DRLs and went back to stock 997.1. The LEDs just never felt right to me, and I love the look of the old housing. It feels more classic to me.

I do want to upgrade the fog bulb in the stock housing though. Does anyone know of a good LED replacement for the H8 bulb? If not I will probably order a pair of Hoen xenonmatches.

Last edited by JCGMS; 12-07-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:11 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my brand new Fabspeed equal length headers installed, and the Protomotive ECU tune.

Also a new MAF sensor, and an oil change. I switched out the Mobil 1 for Swepco 15/40 and replaced the front crash sensor for that pesky airbag light.

I think that the combo of the tune, EVOMS v-flow intake, Fabspeed highflow cats and x-pipe, with the Fister D sport mufflers has absolutely transformed this car.

Its astounding.

I hope this "Pineapple Express" storm passes through NorCal quickly and without much flooding or landslides on the mountain, so I can get out there and hear the grey frog screaming through the forest with the top down!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
I had my brand new Fabspeed equal length headers installed, and the Protomotive ECU tune.

Also a new MAF sensor, and an oil change. I switched out the Mobil 1 for Swepco 15/40 and replaced the front crash sensor for that pesky airbag light.

I think that the combo of the tune, EVOMS v-flow intake, Fabspeed highflow cats and x-pipe, with the Fister D sport mufflers has absolutely transformed this car.

Its astounding.

I hope this "Pineapple Express" storm passes through NorCal quickly and without much flooding or landslides on the mountain, so I can get out there and hear the grey frog screaming through the forest with the top down!

Sounds like great mods, but from the sound of the rain on the roof since midnight I would say we are getting the water we need and the Marin back roads may be getting a spattering of extra mud. Running the canyons in Southern CA decades ago, we would look for debris on the first pass and then turn around for the entertaining ride knowing what we were in for. And that is what we did (pre 997) for our bikes (and bodies! ). Be careful out there!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha! That's true Wayne. A great drive always deserves a good scout.

I think the nose of the storm is really only peeking into the county now, and she sounds like a screamer (4:45am here) I think the little (mighty?) frog will stay indoors until this one passes and wait it out. Meanwhile the new Brumos MBZ transporter video & plenty of other pcar internet fodder will have to hold us both over while we wait.

http://flatsixes.com/porsche-culture...r-know-buster/
Old 12-11-2014, 10:01 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
Haha! That's true Wayne. A great drive always deserves a good scout.

I think the nose of the storm is really only peeking into the county now, and she sounds like a screamer (4:45am here) I think the little (mighty?) frog will stay indoors until this one passes and wait it out. Meanwhile the new Brumos MBZ transporter video & plenty of other pcar internet fodder will have to hold us both over while we wait.

http://flatsixes.com/porsche-culture...r-know-buster/
Dan, the mods sound incredible and I look forward to hanging with you!!!

I'll play the (indoor) scout: 6am PST: wind is sustained at 35mph and there are some gusts over 50mph. The rain is coming down sideways. It could be much worse but the front is still well off-shore and to the north, but as you said, the Pineapple Express is happening and rain rates seem to be ~1/2" per hour.

Power is still on so that means that all of the Davey trucks that have been on Inverness Ridge the last week did a fine job preparing for the storm but I dare say that Sir Francis Drake, Shoreline, Panoramic, Lucas Valley et al are rife with tree debris (and standing h20 but those of us with AWD don't give that a 2nd thought, right Wayne!), so I would keep the Frog in bed and hang tight for now.

I was able to take a blast around Nicasio and through LV to the JCC with the SO very early yesterday AM and then drop her in Petaluma at work and then blast back home in dense fog with a brief stop at the Cheese Factory. The road was totally empty and it put me in the proper mood to batten things down at home. The road was very wet and the white beast got dirty so I had to reschedule some morning meetings to give the 997 some love before the storm hit yesterday afternoon (secret between us, right!!)

As you say, good times...congrats on the mods (and the hole in your wallet...merry xmas!)

P.S. There is a ~25' surf break out at North beach so I'm gonna try to head out there this afternoon to see if there are any crazy people taking life to another level!
Attached Images    

Last edited by david; 12-11-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-11-2014, 11:42 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Today I....flogged it 260kms round trip to our annual customer X-Mas event. The car performed flawlessly (have been sorting it our the past 8 weeks). Had me wishing the distance was even farther away.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:35 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Last night I Odor Bombed my 997 (I inherited a "stale" smell when I received this low mileage car that had been sitting around most of its life). A bit messy but it worked well (I went with the New Car smell...it does not smell at all like new car, but it's infinitely better than the stale smell). Early this morning I applied Scratch Wizard touch up dye to various trim pieces that had small scratches and to a penny-sized wear spot on the driver's seat bolster (worked very well). Installed and paired a simple Bluetooth adapter. Washed the exterior and...flogged the car 75 miles with my daughter to the beach. In less than 2 months of ownership I've now logged the equivalent of one year's driving by the PO. Can't wait for the drive back tomorrow!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:16 PM
Ryun43
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 14 Posts

Wrapped up the RS fabric pull install which seem to go on forever but looks great now.
Also dove into my first dealing with centerlock wheels. BF breaker bar and high dollar torque wrench. Three came off relatively easy, the last one needed a huge lever and a little swearing.
But now I have black center locks and black crests so to me it looks "right". I never cared for the silver ones and they had begun to oxidize.

Next up sharkwerks by pass once the jackpoints get here...
Old 12-13-2014, 07:19 PM
targaC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SJP3003
Last night I Odor Bombed my 997 (I inherited a "stale" smell when I received this low mileage car that had been sitting around most of its life). A bit messy but it worked well (I went with the New Car smell...it does not smell at all like new car, but it's infinitely better than the stale smell). Early this morning I applied Scratch Wizard touch up dye to various trim pieces that had small scratches and to a penny-sized wear spot on the driver's seat bolster (worked very well). Installed and paired a simple Bluetooth adapter. Washed the exterior and...flogged the car 75 miles with my daughter to the beach. In less than 2 months of ownership I've now logged the equivalent of one year's driving by the PO. Can't wait for the drive back tomorrow!
If you want your car to actually smell like new, buy a steamer and steam the entire interior. You won't believe what steam will do for odor. Look up a McCullough mc1375. It's cheap and works wonders.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:43 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by targaC4S
If you want your car to actually smell like new, buy a steamer and steam the entire interior. You won't believe what steam will do for odor. Look up a McCullough mc1375. It's cheap and works wonders.
Thanks for the tip and model recommendation...so far I've given it a thorough vacuuming and used a small pet deodorizer that generates ozone called CritterZone, a dehumidifier and this odor bomb.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:01 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Some frunk maintenance this weekend:

1. New hood shocks. Very easy DIY. I still reflexively flinch when I'm under the hood though!

2. Boxster 17" spare tire 996.362.130.01. Still enough space for a small gym bag, groceries, and my sunshade.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?